Royal Caribbean vs. Celebrity--Can Anyone Fill Me In on the Differences?

Katems75

Hello, I've sailed RC twice but their prices are outrageous right now.  I know Celebrity is their upper class sister, but strangely enough I'm finding their prices lower.  Is this because the ships are very small?  Or lack things to do?  If anyone has sailed both, please let me know your experiences!  I've only sailed Oasis class and don't think I'd be very interested in a smaller ship.  Central Park was also very important and don't know if Celebrity has something similar.  And the ducks!!  Duck hunting is a must!  Thank you!

There are no Celebrity ships identical to Oasis class in size and features.

Celebrity is more adult - there are kids clubs, but not waterslides or anything else. Its keys are food, service and overall comfort. It is premium massmarket line.

Celebrity does not have Central parks or Bordwalks... Such features do not exist even on majority of Royal ships.

If you try Celebrity I recommend Edge class. Edge, Beyond, Apex, Ascent.

To me it is somewhat of a hybrid between Celebrity and Royal. Very modern and beautiful. They also offer great entertainment (although it is not like on Oasis class).

It also offers 4 included restaurants with different cuisine.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Once I sail a few different Royal ships over the next couple of years I look forward to checking out one of the later Edge Class ships on Celebrity.  I sailed them when I was much younger on two of their retired ships, my very first cruise was on the Zenith back in November of '93 and I also sailed on her sister ship the Horizon in December of '98.  I don't remember much besides the grill out back behind the buffet lol. 

Edge class reminds me of Quantum class in many ways. But less people.

I love state rooms even inside ones. They are so cozy.

Celebrity updated even older ships like Summit. They are of course way larger than Zenith or Century classes which Celebrity does not have anymore.

This is how bathroom of  inside(!) room on Edge looks. It has more luxurious feel. Also you do not to check out towels near the pool. They are placed on loungers when you arrive...

celebrity-edge-concierge-class-stateroom

• Like 4

I've sailed Royal twice (Anthem) and Celebrity twice (Edge) and Celebrity is hands down much more refined and sophisticated.  The ship decor and art are absolutely stunning and the room was beautiful.  I did the Retreat once and it blew my mind.  I loved them both but Celebrity is just a cut above and I think it's in part because they make no attempt to appeal to families with young  kids so it's all just a playground for adults. 

• Like 3

I have sailed rccl 20 times , last 3 in oasis class all in suites, sailed celebrity 10 times all in suites . Biggest difference is rccl has way more children and attractions for children than celebrity. Agree with previous posters on Edge class which has more entertainment than the other classes but nothing like Central Park. Also suite perks are way better on Celebrity and outdoor retreat for suites on edge class is fantastic.

• Like 1

We did our first Celebrity cruise late last year and we are happy we tried it but it's not our style.  Felt a bit snooty on the Celebrity ship and the activities were more relaxed and sedated then on our typical RD ship.  We loved the food and the crew was great on Celebrity but we feel like RC has a better vibe for us.

We enjoy both and find above comments spot on. Husband is a big kid and really enjoys the water slides and even flow rider. Oasis class is our “fun” cruise, esp when we have more sea days.

Celebrity still has a cool vibe, but just a bit toned down, and more elegant. We find Food is better in MDR on celebrity. 

2 hours ago, Katems75 said:

Hello, I've sailed RC twice but their prices are outrageous right now.  I know Celebrity is their upper class sister, but strangely enough I'm finding their prices lower.  Is this because the ships are very small?  Or lack things to do?  If anyone has sailed both, please let me know your experiences!  I've only sailed Oasis class and don't think I'd be very interested in a smaller ship.  Central Park was also very important and don't know if Celebrity has something similar.  And the ducks!!  Duck hunting is a must!  Thank you!

We have sailed with Celebrity twice - the last time we sailed on them was earlier this year on the Apex.  The Apex is part of Edge class.  We had a great time and would recommend Edge class.  That being said, my husband missed Royal's attractions and we are sailing Symphony next.  There are no slides, aquatheatres or I've skating rinks on Celebrity.  The Apex did have the Rooftop Garden which reminded us a little of Central Park.  Also, Celebrity tends to skew older if that matters to you.

RCI - Primary target demographics families with children.  Primarily mega ships with many entertainment activities and amusement park style venues to address that demographic.  Many children on board most sailings.

Celebrity - Primary target demographics adults approx. 45+.  Mid sized ships with none of the types of venues found on RCI.  More traditional sailing atmosphere.  Very few children on board most sailings.

In other words, polar opposites.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks for all of the descriptive posts.  What does Celebrity have for evening entertainment?  Any comedy?  Shows? Movie outside? What kind of music? 

I recognize from the posts no kids stuff and a refined feeling. What does that translate to for the evening? I am concerned with being bored. 

I've done celebrity and it was different, a change. The bathroom seemed bigger, better amenities at the time. Furniture nicer and more wood. I'm still in the idk category. I'll do it again but wasnt so thrilled I said boy this is my vibe. Cant wait to do celebrity again. I'm still deciding if it's worth more money from me. Being solo i felt like I'm paying for amenities for 2. Royal at DP340 is better priced.

• Thanks 1

Based on your first post, I don’t think Celebrity is for you. Two good cruise lines but polar opposites of each other. We prefer Celebrity over Royal. No smoking ANYWHERE inside of the ship. No annoying announcements about art auctions, bingo and other stuff. No belly flop or sexy men contests because Celebrity doesn’t have them. Celebrity is geared more for adults. Royal has better perks until you reach Pinnacle/Zenith then Celebrity is better. 

As the duck thing is more for kids you won't find much activity with regards to that on Celebrity.  The entertainment is good and there are comedians, etc., but nothing like the aqua theater, ice show, or Broadway style shows.  There are several venues with different music styles as well.  But if family/kids oriented activities and entertainment such as that as you experienced with RCI / Oasis class ships is what you enjoy, you may not find the atmosphere on Celebrity to your liking. 

When our kids were young they grew up sailing on RCI with us, and as a family with children, the venues and activities appealed to us.  Now that they are adults and with kids of their own and usually not sailing with us, we prefer Celebrity for the opposite reasons.  

As to fares, I find it unusual that RCI is lower.  But I guess it depends on ship and stateroom category.  Typically Celebrity is higher than RCI, depending on included packages such as WiFi and beverage options.  But if you are looking at Icon or some of the other new ships with RCI that may be the reason.

Edited by leaveitallbehind