Late dining

Holly123red

We have celebrity apex booked for next year when we booked only late dining was available I was put on wait list my booking is now saying late dining no wait list I can't eat late always go 5.30 or 6 if we can't get earlier we will have to cancel do you know if we can change it when we get onboard

1 hour ago, Holly123red said:

We have celebrity apex booked for next year when we booked only late dining was available I was put on wait list my booking is now saying late dining no wait list I can't eat late always go 5.30 or 6 if we can't get earlier we will have to cancel do you know if we can change it when we get onboard

If you have a medical reason then call and you will get switched in a couple of days

I'd ignore any information you have now for a cruise next year.  Most bookings only offer late dining, but it gets changed.

From our experience on a trip over the last couple of weeks you will have no issue dining whenever you want on Apex.  First couple of days they had two queues ' anytime' and 'fixed'.  These signs soon disappeared.

Just turn up at your preferred time and you will be seated,

2 hours ago, Holly123red said:

It is my understanding that all dining in the MDRs on E class is now "Any time" so just turn up at the time that suits you. As with any restaurant if it;s full when you arrive you may have to wait to be seated.

• Like 1

if you sign in on the website, you can probably make reservations for complimentary dining. Click Dining. then scroll past all the extra dining and at the bottom it will have the complimentary dining. options. You can make your reservations there. Then you don't have to worry about when you will be dining. 

When you get on the ship, you will probably have a little card that will tell you that they made reservations for you at a certain time and place. Ignore that and go at the time and place of your reservation. They send out those cards to try to avoid everyone going at the same time.

17 hours ago, the penguins said:

It is my understanding that all dining in the MDRs on E class is now "Any time" so just turn up at the time that suits you. As with any restaurant if it;s full when you arrive you may have to wait to be seated.

That was the case for a while, however on 2 different E class ships recently those that signed up for fixed seating ( early or late) has an assigned table, dining room and staff.  From talking to some other guests switching from fixed to anytime once on the ship was not a problem.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

That was the case for a while, however on 2 different E class ships recently those that signed up for fixed seating ( early or late) has an assigned table, dining room and staff.  From talking to some other guests switching from fixed to anytime once on the ship was not a problem.

X sure likes to make things complicated. Another reason to avoid E Class

52 minutes ago, the penguins said:

X sure likes to make things complicated. Another reason to avoid E Class

Only complicated if one lets it be.  We have never had a problem getting a dining time changed.  Whether it is E class, S class or M class if your  preferred dining time is not available when you book it can be changed once on the ship. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Only complicated if one lets it be.  We have never had a problem getting a dining time changed.  Whether it is E class, S class or M class if your  preferred dining time is not available when you book it can be changed once on the ship. 

My comment on "complicated" was because, from the various posts on the subject,  of X operating different systems on different E class ships.

For for us it's not so much the time, as we have always arranged what we want, but the table location. My wife has severe mobility/pain issues and on S class the staff have been wonderful in allocating us a sharing table for 6 - we keep the same table and same seats and share with different people every night. 

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

My comment on "complicated" was because, from the various posts on the subject,  of X operating different systems on different E class ships.

For for us it's not so much the time, as we have always arranged what we want, but the table location. My wife has severe mobility/pain issues and on S class the staff have been wonderful in allocating us a sharing table for 6 - we keep the same table and same seats and share with different people every night. 

Been on all E class ships, some multiple times, and have never met a MaitreD or host/hostess who would not go out of their way to accommodate a passenger with mobility issue.  Have you experienced this?  That should have taken up the chain while on the ship. 

Just off the Edge. We selected 6:PM when we booked the cruise. Once on board we found out were were assigned the Tuscan MDR, table for two at 6:PM. We aren't fans of the Tuscan MDR and hated the table location. We asked if we could cancel our reservation and go with Select anytime. No problem. Then we went up to the Cosmopolitan MDR, found a two top in a great location. Spoke with the girl at the podium with our request. No problem. Got the two top we wanted for ~6:PM every night. Same experience when we were on the Apex, March 2023. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, doghog said:

Just off the Edge. We selected 6:PM when we booked the cruise. Once on board we found out were were assigned the Tuscan MDR, table for two at 6:PM. We aren't fans of the Tuscan MDR and hated the table location. We asked if we could cancel our reservation and go with Select anytime. No problem. Then we went up to the Cosmopolitan MDR, found a two top in a great location. Spoke with the girl at the podium with our request. No problem. Got the two top we wanted for ~6:PM every night. Same experience when we were on the Apex, March 2023. 

Curious, why is the Cosmopolitan better than the Tuscan, in your view?  What about the others?

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

Been on all E class ships, some multiple times, and have never met a MaitreD or host/hostess who would not go out of their way to accommodate a passenger with mobility issue.  Have you experienced this?  That should have taken up the chain while on the ship. 

Never been on E class as the low backed chairs in the IV  cabins would be physically impossible for my wife to use. She spends a minimum of 4 hours a day relaxing on the balcony and needs a high backed chair with space for a footstool - we generally only do cruises with lots of sea days.

As I said the Hosts in Select Dining have always been very accommodating and have gone "above and beyond" to help us. We book for 6.30, go straight for the Desk immediately it opens after "life boat drill" and have had exactly the same table on every cruise since "normal service" was resumed after the Covid restrictions on sharing were lifted. 

12 hours ago, Kordy said:

Curious, why is the Cosmopolitan better than the Tuscan, in your view?  What about the others?

IMO, the Cosmopolitan MDR isn't better than the Tuscan MDR. Just our personal preference for the Cosmopolitan MDR. All four MDRs are nice. We don't rotate between the four MDRs during the cruise. Mainly because we like to pick a two top in a location were prefer. 

11 hours ago, the penguins said:

Never been on E class as the low backed chairs in the IV  cabins would be physically impossible for my wife to use. She spends a minimum of 4 hours a day relaxing on the balcony and needs a high backed chair with space for a footstool - we generally only do cruises with lots of sea days.

As I said the Hosts in Select Dining have always been very accommodating and have gone "above and beyond" to help us. We book for 6.30, go straight for the Desk immediately it opens after "life boat drill" and have had exactly the same table on every cruise since "normal service" was resumed after the Covid restrictions on sharing were lifted. 

Thanks for clarifying.  I thought you relating a poor experience you had on a E class ship. 

3 hours ago, doghog said:

IMO, the Cosmopolitan MDR isn't better than the Tuscan MDR. Just our personal preference for the Cosmopolitan MDR. All four MDRs are nice. We don't rotate between the four MDRs during the cruise. Mainly because we like to pick a two top in a location were prefer. 

Is it possible to choose the menu items from the other restaurants, eg: sitting in Cosmo, can you choose menu items form Cyprus?  If so, do you have to ask the waiter for the menu for all 4 MDRs?

1 minute ago, Kordy said:

Is it possible to choose the menu items from the other restaurants, eg: sitting in Cosmo, can you choose menu items form Cyprus?  If so, do you have to ask the waiter for the menu for all 4 MDRs?

Yes and yes, or you can use the app.

4 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Yes and yes, or you can use the app.

Thanks ... then it sounds like ROTATING in all 4 MDRs is the best option - why:

- you experience all 4 MDRs; different / fresh vibe every time

- you probably wait less as if one MDR is busy, you go to the next one (so you have 4 to choose from, go for the most efficient one)

- you don't LOSE ANYTHING as you can always order from every other MDRs

Sounds like you get all the pros without any of the cons?  The only con I guess is that you get different tables+waiters, but it's exciting to try new things... and if you find one you REALLY like, you can stick with them.

Edited by Kordy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Yes. You can request the menus from the other 3 MDRs. On our recent Edge cruise they combined all four restaurant menus on one menu. Very easy to pick and choose. 

Edited by doghog

1 hour ago, Kordy said:

They have them available if you need them.  But always order canolli with your regular dessert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

They have them available if you need them.  But always order canolli with your regular dessert.

Cannolli is always available as an additional "hidden" dessert, to go with anything else?  I didn't know this... is Cannolli particularly good?  I'm not Italian or anything, so this is not my "go-to", but should it be, on Celebrity?