A laundry question

jennjess

10 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

Interesting question. I've often wondered how HAL handles the jerk who abuses the perq out of gratuitous malevolence.

so do you know the answer? Is it a free bag of laundry or is it unlimited?

22 minutes ago, electro said:

so do you know the answer? Is it a free bag of laundry or is it unlimited?

35 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

Interesting question. I've often wondered how HAL handles the jerk who abuses the perq out of gratuitous malevolence.

Wow, what would this "gratuitous malevolence" entail - we are talking about sending laundry..?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Wow, what would this "gratuitous malevolence" entail - we are talking about sending laundry..?

I'm also wondering what would qualify as abuse. If it is unlimited and you send out several bags during the cruise is that abuse?

We have always had "free" unlimited laundry. Beginning with our first HAL cruise, we've used the first of our included OBC for it. No waiting to reach 4-star. That's for me, so I don't have to do all the laundry when returning home. Have so appreciated sending a few things in a bag each day. The next portion of they included OBC is for DH to purchase liquor in the duty-free shops.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moriah said:

5 minutes ago, electro said:

I'm also wondering what would qualify as abuse. If it is unlimited and you send out several bags during the cruise is that abuse?

I don't want to put limits on the human capacity for jerkiness. But I'm thinking of the "Peel me a grape" mentality. Three bags a day, with 2-3 items per bag? At what point does HAL have to say, "Let's be reasonable about this"?

1 hour ago, Petronillus said:

I don't want to put limits on the human capacity for jerkiness. But I'm thinking of the "Peel me a grape" mentality. Three bags a day, with 2-3 items per bag? At what point does HAL have to say, "Let's be reasonable about this"?

I think you are looking for trouble where none exists.  Even the "jerky" scenario you described above is really not a thing.  I'm sure the cabin steward would suggest to such a guest that they consolidate into one bag next time.  Really... gratuitous malevolance?(sp?)   Sheesh.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Do you have personal knowledge of people doing this?  From the many bags placed on the rolling carts or outside the cabins on evenings, they seem pretty full to me.  

21 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Do you have personal knowledge of people doing this?  From the many bags placed on the rolling carts or outside the cabins on evenings, they seem pretty full to me.  

4 hours ago, Moriah said:

I think you are looking for trouble where none exists.  Even the "jerky" scenario you described above is really not a thing.  I'm sure the cabin steward would suggest to such a guest that they consolidate into one bag next time.  Really... gratuitous malevolance?(sp?)   Sheesh.

Who's making a mountain out of a molehill? @electro asked a question about limits, if any, on the free laundry perq. I responded with something I've wondered about. Shame on me for wondering?

If you two live in a world without jerks, and you never have to look out for mischief-makers, then I envy you.

6 minutes ago, StormySeas said:

what is the laundry bag made from? is it plastic or cloth? when you say "stuff the bag full", I imagine a plastic bag splitting at the seam. BTW we have purchased unlimited laundry for 18 day cruise

It is cloth and has a drawstring.  Roll your items of clothing up tightly and you can squeeze a lot in there. Don't forget to fill out the form and place in the bag, but keep the back pink copy for your records.

23 hours ago, Petronillus said:

They might not say anything to you, but you do need to fill out the laundry form for each bag, itemizing each item you put in the bag.  I suspect that if someone is really being a abusing the privilege, they might find it difficult to get a copy that multi-part form from the steward 😀

14 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Saw it on a GV, small amount in a bag every day.

I don't see anything wrong with sending out a bag each day. I really don't want my used gym or hiking clothes in the cabin for a couple of days. Any sweaty stuff goes to the laundry each evening.

16 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Saw it on a GV, small amount in a bag every day.

I believe this is exactly what the unlimited laundry is for. If you are going to wait until you have a full bag, it is often times cheaper to just pay by the bag vice buying the unlimited package. (Unless you are getting the free laundry.)

We will be on th Oosterdam for 35 days. We plan to send out a bag a week which is much cheaper than buying the unlimited laundry for 35 days. But if I did buy it, I would be sending out partial bags several times a week.

• Like 1

1. We Added UL prior to crusing. 2. Blue Bag Fits lots. 3. We ship out 2 bags at a time for some reason. 4. NA folded our laundry to military precision two days ago. 5. We received all the items back as requested. Hanger or folded. 6. Interesting thought, Dry Cleaning, Suit is 9.00, Dress $9.00, Pants $5.00, Jacket $6.00, Silk Blouse $5.00. All USD, As of today pricing. About the same as our home. 

We now purchase the package more so we can bring less and enjoy the travel to and from the airport more. 

1 hour ago, Retiring2023 said:

Can we add the unlimited laundry before sailing? Is there a price advantage to doing this?  I don’t see a way of doing this on the app?

Not sure about the app but you can do it by logging in to the website,. go into your booking , select packages, laundry packages.

For my upcoming Europe cruise it is $10.50 per day. I think it was cheaper on my Alaska cruise. For some reason it is more expensive to do laundry in Europe.