Favorite port(s) . . . let’s reminisce.

Hanoj

What are your favorite ports you’ve visited while on any Viking cruise?

I have three . . . so far. 

(1) St. Petersburg, Russia. In 2018, before the Viking Homelands itinerary was modified due to the present conflagration between Russia and Ukraine, we had an overnight with two full days in this port. Prior to our visit I was apprehensive because of the vilification of Russia and its citizens by the US government and media, even back then. But more so than any other place in the world I have visited, including mainland China in 1982, my visit to St. Petersburg revealed that pax, anywhere or everywhere (?), are remarkably similar in our aspirations. And that the real enigma precluding peace is nation states governments and special interests (multinational corporations in particular), seeking to divide and conquer the masses to control pax, that is, us.

In hindsight, I wish I had obtained a visa to explore on our own. St. Petersburg was (is ?) a beautiful city and while we were only on included and optional Viking excursions, being there felt, surprisingly, remarkably safe.

(2) Tallinn, Estonia. While on the same Viking Homelands cruise in 2018, this was my favorite port. Bordering Russia (and part of the former Soviet Union), we enjoyed the contrasting medieval and modern elements this port revealed. We spent most of our day exploring within its medieval walls. We enjoyed interactions with skilled artisans and savoring many delectables. We left and returned to the ship thrice, walking more than 13 miles. Upon retiring to our stateroom after dinner I noted 119 floors on my Fitbit; I was tempted, but didn’t get dressed to ascend one more flight of stairs. In hindsight, I would have, heading the admonition of Tom Reece to his son Commander James Reece (Jack Carr novels), “don’t let the old man in.” I was 56 at that time.

(3) Venice, Italy. During the halcyon days of cruising, our 2019 Mediterranean Odyssey cruise embarked with an overnight in this magnificent port. We arose early in the morning after our overnight and walked to the embarking of a water taxi transiting the Grand Canal. This was magical. Afterward, we spent much of the day meandering the streets and lanes between the Rialto Bridge and Piazza San Marco before returning to the ship. The late afternoon sail away was breathtakingly beautiful. 

We haven’t sailed with Viking since 2019 (2020 & 2021 cruises were canceled) but are looking forward to our Cities of Antiquity itinerary from Rome to Athens embarking October 2024. Perhaps I will find my way to the Gleneagles Bar on Gozo, Malta to inquire of the “old sailor David Hilcot” (ref. Jack Carr’s newest novel Red Sky Morning).

Following are a few photos from my favorite ports.

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_1493.jpeg

• Like 1

(These are not all on Viking, and I am not sure that Viking goes to these)

St Petersburg

Bora Bora

Singapore

The first two are the only two places we have been (out of many) that people around us actually gasped at the beauty/grandeur around us.

13 hours ago, Hanoj said:

St. Petersburg, Russia. In 2018, before the Viking Homelands itinerary was modified due to the present conflagration between Russia and Ukraine, we had an overnight with two full days in this port. Prior to our visit I was apprehensive because of the vilification of Russia and its citizens by the US government and media, even back then. 

Absolutely agree.  St. Petersburg (2019) is on our favourites list.  We're very fortunate to have been able to visit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hanoj said:

What are your favorite ports you’ve visited while on any Viking cruise?

I have three . . . so far. 

(1) St. Petersburg, Russia. In 2018, before the Viking Homelands itinerary was modified due to the present conflagration between Russia and Ukraine, we had an overnight with two full days in this port. Prior to our visit I was apprehensive because of the vilification of Russia and its citizens by the US government and media, even back then. But more so than any other place in the world I have visited, including mainland China in 1982, my visit to St. Petersburg revealed that pax, anywhere or everywhere (?), are remarkably similar in our aspirations. And that the real enigma precluding peace is nation states governments and special interests (multinational corporations in particular), seeking to divide and conquer the masses to control pax, that is, us.

In hindsight, I wish I had obtained a visa to explore on our own. St. Petersburg was (is ?) a beautiful city and while we were only on included and optional Viking excursions, being there felt, surprisingly, remarkably safe.

(2) Tallinn, Estonia. While on the same Viking Homelands cruise in 2018, this was my favorite port. Bordering Russia (and part of the former Soviet Union), we enjoyed the contrasting medieval and modern elements this port revealed. We spent most of our day exploring within its medieval walls. We enjoyed interactions with skilled artisans and savoring many delectables. We left and returned to the ship thrice, walking more than 13 miles. Upon retiring to our stateroom after dinner I noted 119 floors on my Fitbit; I was tempted, but didn’t get dressed to ascend one more flight of stairs. In hindsight, I would have, heading the admonition of Tom Reece to his son Commander James Reece (Jack Carr novels), “don’t let the old man in.” I was 56 at that time.

(3) Venice, Italy. During the halcyon days of cruising, our 2019 Mediterranean Odyssey cruise embarked with an overnight in this magnificent port. We arose early in the morning after our overnight and walked to the embarking of a water taxi transiting the Grand Canal. This was magical. Afterward, we spent much of the day meandering the streets and lanes between the Rialto Bridge and Piazza San Marco before returning to the ship. The late afternoon sail away was breathtakingly beautiful. 

We haven’t sailed with Viking since 2019 (2020 & 2021 cruises were canceled) but are looking forward to our Cities of Antiquity itinerary from Rome to Athens embarking October 2024. Perhaps I will find my way to the Gleneagles Bar on Gozo, Malta to inquire of the “old sailor David Hilcot” (ref. Jack Carr’s newest novel Red Sky Morning).

Following are a few photos from my favorite ports.

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_1493.jpeg

Following this thread with interest that being said I don't think I am a museum kind of a person.  I love nature being able to look at beautiful scenery and not have to go go go.

I am looking forward to our Italy circumnavigation next year for my wife's heritage but I am not looking forward to crowds. 

10 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Not the only one, but sailing into Grand Harbor Valletta, Malta ranks at the top.

i may add a few later, but that’s my favorite as a “port”.

I recall seeing a sail away photo from Valletta from an aft cabin -- possibly @OneSixtyToOne -- and I often think of that photo.  It was very beautiful.   

• Like 1

I have sailed into Valletta Grand Harbor twice (once on Viking Star and once on Sea Cloud). Very different experiences, but the sail in was spectacular both times.  To date, that was the BEST sail-in experience ever.   
I have other ports that I love, but none compare to this sail-in.

other ports that we love, based on city/local experience:  Barcelona; Palma, Mallorca; Bergen; Monaco; Reykjavik.

Also, many smaller river ports …. Sigh.

Each trip we have a “Favorite “.   

• Like 1

Oddly, on this thread about favorite ports, no one I believe has even mentioned Viking's home port.   I could list several of the others that are already posted (like Tallin, St. Pete, Sydney, and more), but for me Bergen, Norway deserves a spot on the roster!

We came into Bergen on a sunny clear late May early morning - the first time we'd been there.  The islands, the bridge, and the amazing small harbor where the Viking ships dock  . . . .  was all just so spectacular on that gorgeous day!

We've been back 4 times, and it's always been breathtaking, but nothing compares to that first experience.

And while we are in Scandinavia, Stockholm was another incredible harbor, especially with the archipelago as an entrance leading up to it.    Both Bergen and Stockholm were also so walkable, explorable, and fascinating!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

And while we are in Scandinavia, Stockholm was another incredible harbor, especially with the archipelago as an entrance leading up to it

Stockholm is a place we have always wanted to spend more time.  We have booked the BIE out of Bergen, but we plan on flying independently to Stockholm and spending time in Stockholm and other parts of Sweden before we fly to Bergen to begin our cruise. 

28 minutes ago, millybess said:

Stockholm is a place we have always wanted to spend more time.  We have booked the BIE out of Bergen, but we plan on flying independently to Stockholm and spending time in Stockholm and other parts of Sweden before we fly to Bergen to begin our cruise. 

When flying to Stockholm (ARN), you can easily take the train into town where you hotel might be.  (Very similar to Oslo).  It's called the Arlanda Express.  It was simple to buy the ticket at the airport, figure the stop, and connect to a metro train to where we stayed (the Hilton).

https://www.arlandaexpress.com/

When we've flown into Bergen (or returning to BGO Airport from downtown Bergen) we always take the Flybussen - quite easy and relatively inexpensive.

https://www.flybussen.no/en/airports/bergen-airport-flybussen-bergen/