COVID After Cruise

Murray's Pop

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Not extinct. Incidence of Noro increases in winter months when people congregate indoors, but it has been greater in the southern hemisphere where winter is now ending. It will come back north soon, sorry to say.

On our CB cruise last month to Iceland/Greenland, the crew went on level three alert after Noro started being an issue. Projectile vomiting in public areas and restrooms were observed first-hand (unfortunately). We saw some cabins with small tables in the doorways (quarantined passengers), some hazmat-type crew cleaning and medical personnel around the ship frequently. 

2 hours ago, dickinson said:

I don't blame you for getting off the elevator, however, cabin mates don't have to quarantine.  They didn't even tell my dh to wear a mask (although he was already doing it so maybe that is why).

If cabin mate does not test positive there is no need to mask. Last time I got Covid on a cruise my wife never tested positive so she could come and go as she liked

Guess its the luck ( or in this case unlucky) of the draw. If your going to get it with or without a vaccine your going to get it. Never had the flu, never got a flu shot but had pneumonia shot and have had pneumonia twice. Go figure, vaccines are just to help you not get as sick. Use what cautions your comfortable with and hope for the best. Will be on a 16 day cruise in a couple weeks and plan to relax and enjoy.

• Like 1

Only six cruises since COVID and masking was required in the early days on board. We've never tested positive at any time and only test when traveling (which we do often) but only to make sure that we are not about to infect someone if we are positive and don't know it. Just had my last vax two days ago...

5 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Not extinct. Incidence of Noro increases in winter months when people congregate indoors, but it has been greater in the southern hemisphere where winter is now ending. It will come back north soon, sorry to say.

I haven’t read any reports here about outbreaks on any of the boards here. I guess Covid is still the talk of the town.

4 hours ago, crawford said:

On our CB cruise last month to Iceland/Greenland, the crew went on level three alert after Noro started being an issue. Projectile vomiting in public areas and restrooms were observed first-hand (unfortunately). We saw some cabins with small tables in the doorways (quarantined passengers), some hazmat-type crew cleaning and medical personnel around the ship frequently. 

Projectile vomiting..ok I’ll keep my mild case of Covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I haven’t read any reports here about outbreaks on any of the boards here. I guess Covid is still the talk of the town.

Covid is still here both my house cleaner and veterinarian came down with Covid last week no cruise required 

• Like 1

Keep in mind, Covid can be contracted by touching the utensils in the buffet to serve your selves, if someone else who had covid touched them before you( Sanitize your hands when you sit down before you eat, always carry a small sanitzer bottle with you, that you can buy at any drugstore in the travel section). Also, your room steward, he takes care of 20-25 rooms, where some rooms, could be infected with Covid from infected passengers. He's touching pretty much everything, then he goes into your room to clean up, his hands could be carrying the virus while he's in your room, from another room. So, you can take all the precautions you want while walking around the ship, but you can easily catch Covid in your room. 

Just saw this thread and we've been lucky no issues on contracting covid on any of the past 3 cruises we've been on starting December 2021, different cruiseline ,past  Christmas on different cruiseline and this past Aug 21 day Mediterranean on the new Sun. I also saw where one individual that stated they lived in florida, not sure location area but we live in NW Florida panhandle, no not in direct hit of coming hurricane more west we are not having issues with covid out breaks. So sorry to hear that so many individuals were being infected hopefully everyone is doing well and good wishes. 

Gladys 

On 9/24/2024 at 2:56 PM, Murray's Pop said:

We have done 3 post COVID cruises and our daughter has done one.  ALL of us have tested positive for COVID after returning from these cruises.  No symptoms at all during the cruise but within 2-3 days after getting back had symptoms, took test and was positive.  Fortunately all cases were very mild with no complications.  

I was just wondering, how often is this occurring generally.  Have we just been "unlucky" or is this happening often.   

I have tested positive midway thru our last three cruises (2 on Princess and 1 on HAL).  I too was up to date with my vaccines, wore a mask flying to and from the cruises and while on excursion busses.  I was very careful to wash my hands frequently and used Purell after using tongs in the buffet.....and I still got it.  Thankfully I was not very sick....at worst I had moderate cold symptoms.  I guess it's just the luck of the draw (my husband never got it)!

My husband did catch Covid after a cruise, we had gone to the most traveled luncheon and the lady next to him coughed the entire meal but we did not leave, guess we should have. But, in the cruises defense we also flew to Switzerland for a 2 week land trip and both caught Covid and tested positive when we got home. Since we have had a LOT of covid shots all 3 cases have been VERY mild. Mostly just a bit of cough and loss of taste.Will be on a cruise in a week or so and just got another shot 2 weeks ago. Can never be too careful.

On 9/24/2024 at 2:03 PM, Mighty Joe said:

I did three post covid cruises. Fully vaccinated and always wore our N95 everywhere onboard. Disinfected the cabin before moving in. And then tried to open the balcony door as much as possible for air circulation. Never caught anything.  Greater danger is on airplane and bus tour. 

I take Lysol wipes and disinfect cabin every time we return and can see room steward has been in. I wipe down all door handles inside and out, telephone , tv remote, bathroom fixture handles and knobs, fridge door.. any hard surface steward may have touched.

Ive always done this … pre CoVid I did to minimize against Norwalk virus ( remember when we worried about that?!) .. now I do it to hopefully lessen our chance of catching anything from common cold to covid. 

19 cruises precovid and 2 after and so far so good ( even when on the Emerald with a Code Red for Norwalk one time) 🤞

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 7:13 PM, Muffinz said:

yes this is true..... I'm mainly talking about the people who are coughing / sneezing and clearly unwell.

these people should use common sense and stay in their stateroom until they feel well again

The problem with this that people regularly sneeze or cough with nothing being wrong with them. 

I know when I do either on a ship I worry people might think I'm sick.

I’ve cruised 3 times since the restart.

The first cruise was in 2021 when everyone was required to wear masks and I did not get sick.

The second cruise was when my friend and I did a b2b on the Discovery Princess (the Inaugural and the second cruise) in March 2022. I was feeling off towards the end of the second cruise so I tested twice and was negative both times. I tested positive the day after we got home. 

The third cruise was exactly one year later on the Discovery’s first birthday. This time there were six in my group and three of us got sick 🙋🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I had all of my vaccinations and boosters but I was still really sick both times. My last booster was in 2023. I have a b2b on the Sun Princess in a few weeks so fingers crossed. Unfortunately, I cannot take any more Covid boosters. 

I want to add that the same friend traveled with me on each cruise and we shared an inside cabin, but she never got sick. She has never had Covid. I guess I always take one for the team. 

On 9/24/2024 at 3:42 PM, Murray's Pop said:

Interesting replies.  It does seem to be happening more often than not.  We have also kept up to date on all COVID and regular flu vaccinations, and that could be a contributing factor to the mild cases we had.

We have been on 5 cruises since it restarted.  No covid.  We have a 32 day sailing coming up soon and we see how it goes.
When covid first happened in March 2020 we were on the Coral and we both had covid after we got home...DH worse than I was. 
We got the vaccine when it first came out and then a booster but nothing else since then.  (except the flu shot, pneumonia shot and shingles shot)

We had antibodies up the wazoo and I even donated convalescent plasma on a number of occasions. 
We will do hand washing and hand sanitizer and will take airborne pre cruise and hope for the best.   We will be in Asia and it seems a lot of people wear masks there so we'll bring some with us, whether we use them or not remains to be seen.

Yup COVID is alive and well on the ships. Had it early summer on ship in Alaska. Best friend had it later this summer on a ship in Alaska  

My suggestion is to bring cough and cold supplies with you just just in case.  Our ship was sold out of all cough and cold medicine.  It was also obvious that many passengers were coughing.  By the end of the cruise is was obvious some people were sick. 

I would consider bringing a large bag of cough drops and a bottle of cough medicine. I would also bring a bandana or large handkerchief. It takes no space and you would have something to help cover your cough.  Most of the people coughing were holding their fist about 6 inches from their mouth and coughing into their fist.  Not effective at all. 

1 hour ago, coldweather said:

I would consider bringing a large bag of cough drops and a bottle of cough medicine. I would also bring a bandana or large handkerchief. It takes no space and you would have something to help cover your cough.  Most of the people coughing were holding their fist about 6 inches from their mouth and coughing into their fist.  Not effective at all. 

Even easier to pack than cough syrup are Dextromethorphan tablets which do the same thing. In fact, I just bought a bottle of generic Dextromethorphan with Guaifenesin on Amazon, because generally if I need something for cough I have chest congestion also. We’re taking that, Sudafed, an antihistamine and Ibuprofen to cover all bases, and shoving as many test kits into the suitcase as space allows. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Even easier to pack than cough syrup are Dextromethorphan tablets which do the same thing. In fact, I just bought a bottle of generic Dextromethorphan with Guaifenesin on Amazon, because generally if I need something for cough I have chest congestion also. We’re taking that, Sudafed, an antihistamine and Ibuprofen to cover all bases, and shoving as many test kits into the suitcase as space allows. 

Good suggestion for the tablets. Much easier for travel. 

(Unrelated to COVID) One other thing I always suggest people being with them on a cruise is a few bandaids. I have seen people ask the front desk for a bandaid.  They were told to go to the infirmary that does not hand them out. They want you to see a doctor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’ve never heard of those tablets. Is there a certain brand that you prefer? I’m going to bring a small pharmacy with me and plenty of test kits. I hope I don’t get sick again, but I don’t want to stop cruising. 

1 hour ago, coldweather said:

Good suggestion for the tablets. Much easier for travel. 

(Unrelated to COVID) One other thing I always suggest people being with them on a cruise is a few bandaids. I have seen people ask the front desk for a bandaid.  They were told to go to the infirmary that does not hand them out. They want you to see a doctor. 

I also pack moleskin for blisters and a thermometer. We should start a “What’s in your cruise pharmacy bag” thread. I’m going to need a carry-on just for my prescription and nonprescription stuff. 😳