Celebrity Cruise company / travel agency double booked our room! How can we get full reimbursement for trip costs?

Dread_Pirate_Roberts

I don't think that experienced cruisers who know what to receive prior to the cruise should expect everyone to have the same knowledge as others.

Airlines send out pre messages to check in, but if you don't do that until you get to the airport, you still have a seat. 

While Celebrity has admitted the mess up I don't think their offer in any way compensates you for the result of their mistake. I'm guessing US legislation doesn't protect consumers as much as Australian legislation does as you'd receive actual cash reimbursement and not a voucher. A voucher assumes you'd cruise with them again, but why would you?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

I can't find anything about reimbursement for double bookings or problems caused human or computer error.

I can't say for sure without reading your policy, but accepting everything you've said here as true and complete, it very much does look like Celebrity or the TA are liable here and I would expect your travel insurance to deny your claim as a result.Travel insurance frequently covers denied boarding due to illness, but I'd be surprised to see a policy that covers denied boarding due to the cruise line's error. Most insurance policies are designed to cover the things that aren't anyone's fault. If someone caused the problem (be that you, Celebrity, or your TA), then they are liable for making you whole and insurance won't pay out.

I'd expect you to have a hard time sorting this out, if I'm honest. You don't have enough information to demonstrate who is responsible and that puts you in a difficult spot. If I were in your position, I'd start by gathering documentation:

• Credit card statements reflecting all payments made for your cruise (not flights/hotels for now -- just the cruise). The charges may show as paid to Celebrity. If so, you can skip the next bullet.
  • If the charges show as going to your TA, get proof your TA completed your booking and submitted all payments to Celebrity on time. You may need to ask your TA for these records. If the TA did their job and submitted payments they should be happy to provide them.
  • Copies of all communications you or your TA received from Celebrity about your cruise. A quality TA will forward every last one of these to you as a matter of course, but it doesn't sound like you were provided with these communications so you'll have to ask your TA for these as well. Again, if they did their job, they shouldn't have a problem providing these, but if you get any pushback you can tell them you need to submit this documentation to Celebrity to prove you're owed a refund.

Now, what happens if you can't get some of this info from your TA? I'd view that as a sign they probably screwed up. Send the info you do have to Celebrity (executive office, as another poster mentioned, would be a good point of contact), explain that your TA is refusing to provide further documentation and ask Celebrity if they can provide the documentation you're missing.

If you somehow aren't able to get this documentation for either party, then you can consider filing a dispute with your credit card company. If your payments went directly to Celebrity, it's likely they'll ban you from traveling with them, so keep that in mind as you decide what to do. Even if you lose the dispute, your bank will gather the documentation you need to prove fault as part of this process and forward it to you along with their decision so you should be able to go directly to whichever party is responsible after your dispute is closed.

Assuming you are able to obtain all of these documents, whether from your TA or Celebrity or as part of the dispute process, it should be clear what happened and your next steps will depend on what you find. If you find that your cruise was booked, Celebrity confirmed your booking, and that all payments were submitted on-time, then it's time to send this proof to Celebrity and demand a refund + compensation for additional expenses incurred as a result. If you find that your TA screwed up, then send it to the TA instead and demand they pay the cost of your missed cruise + compensation for additional expenses incurred as a result. Keep in mind that both parties may reasonably deny extra nights in Miami beyond the first one as you likely could have flow the day after and choosing not to is on you, but I'd personally expect to be made whole otherwise.

I am sorry this happened to you, @Dread_Pirate_Roberts. I'm also sorry for some of the hostility you've experienced in this thread. While I agree with some posters that you made a mistake by not being more proactive about tracking your booking, it's a reasonable mistake for a new cruiser to make and doesn't mean you deserve to lose out on your cruise. Unless you made a mistake that actually caused this, then you deserve to be made whole and, while I know it won't be fun, I hope the steps I've shared here will help and I wish you the best of luck. I also hope this experience doesn't totally sour you on cruising and you'll one day get to enjoy one as much as all of us do.

• Like 6

I started cruising before there was such a thing as email. We booked with a TA or directly and got our boarding docs in the mail! We got written instructions as to boarding time and procedure in the mail! And we could even bring beer and liquor onboard, or buy it from an onboard store at reduced prices! While I’ve never had a problem of the magnitude of the OP’s, I have probably taken my last cruise. One reason is all this emailing mess, along with unreliable flights, and other factors. 

If I were the OP, the first move would be to contact the TA involved — if it were not an X employee. If so, it would be an insurance claim. When one’s trip is interrupted, it is understandable not to have all receipts and other documentary proof, so just itemize your losses in the claim. If you are asked for documentation, just do what you can. 

We had a situation where we were delayed getting back to San Diego on a land tour with Road Scholars through no fault of their own. We were the only travelers who could not make alternate flight arrangements for the day we were originally scheduled to fly out of San Diego. Road Scholars paid for our flight change, night in the hotel, meals and additional parking fees. I would not have expected them to pay for more than one night of hotel, meals, etc, let alone 3 nights.

Sorry that you could not take your cruise but to expect your TA or Celebrity reimburse you, give you a FCC and then pay for additional vacations nights, sight seeing, meals, etc.  in Florida is asking too much in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

I am planning to make a claim, as my last step. I read over the insurance, and from this laypersons mind, the insurance maining covers unforeseeable circumstances at a travel location (weather, illness, unrest). I can't find anything about reimbursement for double bookings or problems caused human or computer error. 

You missed the cruise. That is how and why the insurance will cover. Missed flight, late to the dock, etc etc = Missed your trip. 

On 9/25/2024 at 2:38 PM, cruisestitch said:

I would submit a claim with the insurance company and see how they handle it.

On 9/25/2024 at 2:58 PM, WELDON said:

You should be covered by travel insurance for your losses because you could not take the cruise. First, contact the company you bought insurance from to start a claim.  Have your certificate number ready.  The person you speak with will ask you questions and they will tell you the next steps in submitted documentation.   

Keep copies of everything you submit (hotel, additional air fare, meals, cruise fare, taxis or uber). You may need to get something from Celebrity stating you did not board the ship, any refunds from them and you are not entitled to anything further. I know all this because I am in the middle of an ongoing claim and needed all this.

On 9/25/2024 at 8:47 PM, PhD-iva said:

File a claim with your travel insurance company. Start there. They will chase Celebrity so that you don’t have to.

Sorry this happened to you!

Thanks for all the reminders to file with the insurance, and I will do that after exhausting my other options. Does anyone have experience with online, large travel insurance from the perspective of how and when to make a claim when the cruise has already claimed fault?  Everything I found was the customer making an error and the insurance covering it.

4 minutes ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

Does anyone have experience with online, large travel insurance from the perspective of how and when to make a claim when the cruise has already claimed fault?  

‘Fault’ doesn’t matter. Celebrity did their part by compensating you. This part is also important. If travel insurance covers any of this, they will exclude the compensation you have already received. You have to read and understand your policy. This situation wouldn’t be covered at all under the policy I use since trip interruption has an exclusion for cancellation by the travel provider. You need to contact the company or go to the website and follow the instructions. 

20 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was quoting another CC member. My post was not directed at you. I was replying to a quote directed at me. Sorry for the confusion. I wouldn't use that Travel Agent again as they should not have directed you back to Celebrity they should have handled it. That's why they get a commission. 

Thank you. I appreciate the clarification. I know online words get misunderstand easily. And correct, I'm not planning to use that TA again!

7 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

‘Fault’ doesn’t matter. Celebrity did their part by compensating you. This part is also important. If travel insurance covers any of this, they will exclude the compensation you have already received. You have to read and understand your policy. This situation wouldn’t be covered at all under the policy I use since trip interruption has an exclusion for cancellation by the travel provider. You need to contact the company or go to the website and follow the instructions. 

Thanks, again, for all the reminders to file with the insurance, and I will do that after exhausting my other options. But I was hoping for suggestions on next step, not what I did was wrong. Does anyone have experience with online, large travel insurance from the perspective of how and when to make a claim when the cruise has already claimed fault? I'm asking if anyone has attempted and/or been successful with reimbursement for ALL the trip costs (flights, travel, lodging, eating) when the cruise itself made the error? Everything I found was the customer making an error and the insurance covering it.

17 hours ago, bundtkate said:

I can't say for sure without reading your policy, but accepting everything you've said here as true and complete, it very much does look like Celebrity or the TA are liable here and I would expect your travel insurance to deny your claim as a result.Travel insurance frequently covers denied boarding due to illness, but I'd be surprised to see a policy that covers denied boarding due to the cruise line's error. Most insurance policies are designed to cover the things that aren't anyone's fault. If someone caused the problem (be that you, Celebrity, or your TA), then they are liable for making you whole and insurance won't pay out.

I'd expect you to have a hard time sorting this out, if I'm honest. You don't have enough information to demonstrate who is responsible and that puts you in a difficult spot. If I were in your position, I'd start by gathering documentation:

• Credit card statements reflecting all payments made for your cruise (not flights/hotels for now -- just the cruise). The charges may show as paid to Celebrity. If so, you can skip the next bullet.
  • If the charges show as going to your TA, get proof your TA completed your booking and submitted all payments to Celebrity on time. You may need to ask your TA for these records. If the TA did their job and submitted payments they should be happy to provide them.
  • Copies of all communications you or your TA received from Celebrity about your cruise. A quality TA will forward every last one of these to you as a matter of course, but it doesn't sound like you were provided with these communications so you'll have to ask your TA for these as well. Again, if they did their job, they shouldn't have a problem providing these, but if you get any pushback you can tell them you need to submit this documentation to Celebrity to prove you're owed a refund.

Now, what happens if you can't get some of this info from your TA? I'd view that as a sign they probably screwed up. Send the info you do have to Celebrity (executive office, as another poster mentioned, would be a good point of contact), explain that your TA is refusing to provide further documentation and ask Celebrity if they can provide the documentation you're missing.

If you somehow aren't able to get this documentation for either party, then you can consider filing a dispute with your credit card company. If your payments went directly to Celebrity, it's likely they'll ban you from traveling with them, so keep that in mind as you decide what to do. Even if you lose the dispute, your bank will gather the documentation you need to prove fault as part of this process and forward it to you along with their decision so you should be able to go directly to whichever party is responsible after your dispute is closed.

Assuming you are able to obtain all of these documents, whether from your TA or Celebrity or as part of the dispute process, it should be clear what happened and your next steps will depend on what you find. If you find that your cruise was booked, Celebrity confirmed your booking, and that all payments were submitted on-time, then it's time to send this proof to Celebrity and demand a refund + compensation for additional expenses incurred as a result. If you find that your TA screwed up, then send it to the TA instead and demand they pay the cost of your missed cruise + compensation for additional expenses incurred as a result. Keep in mind that both parties may reasonably deny extra nights in Miami beyond the first one as you likely could have flow the day after and choosing not to is on you, but I'd personally expect to be made whole otherwise.

I am sorry this happened to you, @Dread_Pirate_Roberts. I'm also sorry for some of the hostility you've experienced in this thread. While I agree with some posters that you made a mistake by not being more proactive about tracking your booking, it's a reasonable mistake for a new cruiser to make and doesn't mean you deserve to lose out on your cruise. Unless you made a mistake that actually caused this, then you deserve to be made whole and, while I know it won't be fun, I hope the steps I've shared here will help and I wish you the best of luck. I also hope this experience doesn't totally sour you on cruising and you'll one day get to enjoy one as much as all of us do.

So you must have missed this: I already have all the receipts (I'm a data scientist - I had those ready to go the day I got home.) I have already sent my receipts and summary trip costs to BOTH the TA and Celebrity. My problem is not receipts, it is getting someone to pay for all the additional costs (Celebrity paid the cruise cost, and they also took blame). I'm also a bit frustrated when I came to this forum, identified myself as a novice cruiser, explained that Celebrity has already taken blame for the error/mistake, and still have been told several times that I must have made the error.

18 hours ago, Pushka said:

I don't think that experienced cruisers who know what to receive prior to the cruise should expect everyone to have the same knowledge as others.

Airlines send out pre messages to check in, but if you don't do that until you get to the airport, you still have a seat. 

While Celebrity has admitted the mess up I don't think their offer in any way compensates you for the result of their mistake. I'm guessing US legislation doesn't protect consumers as much as Australian legislation does as you'd receive actual cash reimbursement and not a voucher. A voucher assumes you'd cruise with them again, but why would you?

Ya, I would agree that US vs. Australian travel protections are likely quite a bit different. US companies love the vouchers because they keep your money either way, and are likely to upscale you.

46 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Does the US style-travel insurance vastly different? Who pays for the insurance, and what does it usually cover? If there is a US person who understands this better, let me know! The main kind I see in the US are travel insurance companies with policies purchased by consumers. The insurance is paid so that the end consumer is not left owing a bill they cannot pay. US Consumers buy travel insurance so if they get sick, the flight and cruise companies are reimbursed. Unless I'm missing something big, I am not helped by that scenario.

31 minutes ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

I'm also a bit frustrated when I came to this forum, identified myself as a novice cruiser, explained that Celebrity has already taken blame for the error/mistake, and still have been told several times that I must have made the error.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  We call these people Celebrity cheerleaders.  They will justify Celebrity's muff ups no matter how bad the muff ups are.

I recollect Celebrity double booking some of their Japan cruises and waiting several months before the cruise to notify people that they would not be going.

I think that Celebrity should pay for your airfare and other costs because you were not able to take your vacation because they muffed it up.  Of course that is what a reputable business would do.  And I do believe this is what they did for the double booked Japan cruises.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

You asked when to file a claim. You should do this as soon as you can.  Depending on your policy, the window to open a claim can be as soon as 14 days and up. At least contact the travel insurance provider, tell the agent what happened and start the ball rolling. You have nothing to lose filing a claim. After submitting your documentation, let the insurance provider tell you what they will or won't cover. Don''t wait until you have exhausted other options and then you may run out of time.

Did your travel mates get insurance also? Are they planning to file a claim?

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 6:26 PM, WELDON said:

Before blaming Celebrity, I would go back to the 3rd party vendor. Where did the money go? What does it show on a credit card statement? What proof do you have the vendor sent the money or sent it correctly?

I am also wondering if this is the first time the ladies have cruised. You can check your reservation on the website or app. Did anyone bother to check prior to the night before the cruise or any time before you left home?  When you got an error message, did you call the vendor?  

Also unnecessary answers, but here are the questions you also asked:

1. Celebrity took the blame. I have credit card receipts for everything. They just don't want to pay for everything. From this point in time, finding the exact blame is irrelevant because Celebrity took the blame. As a data scientist, I know that "best guesses" do very little to change processes. I do not see any value in re-guessing this complex system's data transactions and updates.

2.TA also refunded one hotel night, as that is the only additional reservation made with the cruise reservation. 

3. I was the only novice on the trip. My 2 friends have each been on 3+ cruises.  

4. I checked my cruise reservation several times. The last *notification* related to my reservation arrived on Friday (flight Saturday, cruise starts) from my TA, and I've been receiving Celebrity emails and postcards for months and months. 

5. When I logged on to check in to the TA site, no problem, all reservations as expected. As for the Celebrity site, I was given odd errors, I was not allowed to see the reservations. I was initially giving an error, but no alarm bells. It said something like my TA and cruise's accounts were not syncing correctly. By the time I found issue a couple times, I planned to contact customer service, but they was already closed for the day.  I still had a confirmed reservation with all the codes in hand before we left for Florida, so we figured we should just take that to the dock.

28 minutes ago, WELDON said:

You asked when to file a claim. You should do this as soon as you can.  Depending on your policy, the window to open a claim can be as soon as 14 days and up. At least contact the travel insurance provider, tell the agent what happened and start the ball rolling. You have nothing to lose filing a claim. After submitting your documentation, let the insurance provider tell you what they will or won't cover. Don''t wait until you have exhausted other options and then you may run out of time.

I'll be submitting my receipts to the travel insurance, but I still was giving the impressed this insurance does not cover when cruise companies are at fault. We all got insurance - it was all of none option.

19 hours ago, Pushka said:

THANK YOU.

I agree. I thought we would get anything fixed up at the dock, just as we occasionally do with airport check-in.

I agree. I'm not anywhere near getting compensated,yet! AndI know the catch 22 with the vouchers.

42 minutes ago, WELDON said:

We all got our insurance together with the package. Thanks for the info - I'll check on how long with can make a complaint.

19 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I started cruising before there was such a thing as email. We booked with a TA or directly and got our boarding docs in the mail! We got written instructions as to boarding time and procedure in the mail! And we could even bring beer and liquor onboard, or buy it from an onboard store at reduced prices! While I’ve never had a problem of the magnitude of the OP’s, I have probably taken my last cruise. One reason is all this emailing mess, along with unreliable flights, and other factors. 

If I were the OP, the first move would be to contact the TA involved — if it were not an X employee. If so, it would be an insurance claim. When one’s trip is interrupted, it is understandable not to have all receipts and other documentary proof, so just itemize your losses in the claim. If you are asked for documentation, just do what you can. 

I have an entire communication log already with the TA, and have been talking to the same key people each time. i think this is one main reason they already facilitated reimbursement the cruise cost. 

55 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  We call these people Celebrity cheerleaders.  They will justify Celebrity's muff ups no matter how bad the muff ups are.

I recollect Celebrity double booking some of their Japan cruises and waiting several months before the cruise to notify people that they would not be going.

I think that Celebrity should pay for your airfare and other costs because you were not able to take your vacation because they muffed it up.  Of course that is what a reputable business would do.  And I do believe this is what they did for the double booked Japan cruises.

Any chance you have a link to the Japanese case? I think any precedents could help me.

I appreciate you explaining a Celebrity cheerleader, but it's a bit trollish feeling as a novice.

• Like 1

Last year I had a problem with a large, Big Box store's travel division. We booked a Celebrity cruise with All Included and several months before the cruise I discovered that the travel agent hadn't booked it as All Included. When I insisted  that they provide what I contracted for, they acted like they were doing me a favor. Luckily, the call was recorded (on their end) and proved I was right. It took emails to the company's General Manager and several months but it was finally resolved.
Celebrity may have taken responsibility but your travel agent bears some responsibility. We use travel agents to deal with this type of situation. I would focus on them for compensation. Chris Elliott has a wonderful website with company contacts that might help: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2024 at 8:45 AM, Andy_P said:

It continues to astonish me how many cruisers do things absolutely last minute, or often not at all ,and arrive at the cruise port expecting some "Mommy figure" to do it for them, like they've always done.  I bet they're the same ones paged multiple times to report to their Muster Station.  I think we've all been behind that type at the cruise terminal - often not first time cruisers either.  First-time cruisers often know far more than "experienced" cruisers. 

I don't know where you got the idea this scenario "is always the cruisers' fault" I don't know how many people do this, but I assure you that was not the problem. We booked in Feb. 2024, and paid in full based on the pay schedule. I'm also a life-long boater and would never "skip" on reporting to their muster station. I am the mommy figure that everyone relies to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Don't know who this character represents, but it does not represent our case.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

Any chance you have a link to the Japanese case? I think any precedents could help me.

Celebrity Cruise Ship Oversold Six Months Before Sailing (cruisehive.com)

The thread on this forum was dusted due to the cheerleaders and the people who got bumped having a heated disagreement ...

Edited by NMTraveller

2 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

Thanks for all the reminders to file with the insurance, and I will do that after exhausting my other options. Does anyone have experience with online, large travel insurance from the perspective of how and when to make a claim when the cruise has already claimed fault?  Everything I found was the customer making an error and the insurance covering it.

suggest you file asap for the ins.. then worry abt other options.  ins has deadlines and will require various proofs.  Waiting is not a good idea!