Deck 4 on Quest and Onward?

jkgourmet

We are looking to book our first Azamara cruise in Nov or Dec 2025 in the Caribbean (which would mean Quest or Onward).  We've NEVER booked any cruise far in advance, and I am totally surprised at how few cabins are left.  (I guess I shouldn't be - AZ ships are so much smaller than what we are used to on X, etc.)

We nearly always do inside cabins.  We're generally not too fussy, but what I'm seeing is that on some sailings, the ONLY inside cabins that are still unsold are on Deck 4 very near the medical facilities.   (4035, 4028, et al).   Most are accessible cabins, which we have no problem with (and we recognize that if someone needs a disabled cabin, we'd be moved elsewhere). 

Are those cabins considered very undesirable?    If so, why?

We've done OV on Deck 4, no complaints really. They don't do leg amputations in the clinic, so the surrounding rooms should be pretty spacious and quiet. I wouldn't hesitate to book, and should someone genuinely need the room, I would imagine the line will upgrade you. Deck 4 is actually very nice, quiet, not busy. Enjoy! (Azamara cruiser x 14 years)

• Like 4

We just completed B2B Sept 3 - Sept 11 on Quest, OV Cabin Deck 4, Cabin 4055.

We have done 9 previous Azamara cruises, first time we have had an OV cabin.

We were very surprised!  It was quiet, location was great!

We enjoyed so much we have rebooked same Cabin for future cruise

I couldn't agree with WJ more. For us, it boils down to how much we like the itinerary, duration, and price of the rooms. We are definitely Veranda fans, V3 strictly because of the pricing, there is no difference in the rooms or the service, but OV is a great way to go, again price and weather wise. I find the inside rooms a bit claustrophobic, but if it boils down to Inside or "we can't afford this", I'll pack a night light.

To answer the OPs question which was about inside cabins on deck 4, as you say they are mostly accessible cabins and vary a little in the way they are set up. I wouldn't worry about their location.  If you do a search on this board putting in the cabin numbers and putting the topic as "Azamara" it should throw up some more commentary and maybe a photo or two. 

I would however say that I'm surprised you can book them this far out. There are not many accessible cabins on the whole ship. I'd feel more comfortable if they were released closer to sailing when those who may need them have been given a good chance.  Dr H says you would probably get an upgrade if someone needed it. I don't think this is correct. Especially if the ship is sold out. Nowhere to move you to. 

Phil 

• Like 1

We were offered (and have booked) a deck 4 accessible cabin on Pursuit for a Japan Intensive in May next year. It was an onboard booking and we decided to have an inside cabin based on the price of balconies! My wife uses sticks (canes) to walk around the ship (and we take a wheelchair for use ashore) but standard cabins are fine for us, so we did feel it was slightly 'wrong' to accept the cabin. However, it was implied that those accessible cabins are often amongst the last inside cabins to sell. I can only assume this is because the number of people actually needing the accessible features and wanting to travel with Azamara is relatively small.

Obviously, we'd be happy for someone with greater needs to have the cabin, as long as we were accommodated elsewhere at the same price.

• Thanks 1

RE Accessible cabins. We traveled with friends last year, Helene was mostly wheelchair bound at the time following a below the knee amputation (no, not in the medical clinic on board), and she and hubby joined us with a last minute booking. There were no accessible cabins for her, but Aza really went out of their way to convert her standard room and bathroom into an accessible one. Commode riser for the toilet, bench seat in the shower, there was more. The woman had been horribly sick for several years, she finally was well enough and had the energy to travel. She relished every minute she had in Rome and onboard the ship. I really don't have words kind enough to say thank you to the crew of Onward for making that final "victory run" possible for her. For those who have never traveled with Azamara, they like to call themselves "family", and you hear "Welcome home" constantly when you return to the ship. It's very easy to think, "yada yada yada", great words to promote the company. They are family, you are treated as such, especially when looking the other way would be so much easier to do. There are many reasons I've forgiven them for the ghastly "beef stroganoff" back in 2010. Azamara, thank you, from us, and from Helene's family.

• Like 8

I am on my 10th Azamara Cruise this coming December.  I usually travel solo so cost is important to me.  I used to book Verandah cabins but found I was rarely on the verandah other than to put my bathing suit out to dry and having the odd breakfast there.  I have now moved on to a OV cabin on the 4th deck.  I always book mid ship and near the elevator as I am doing in December. Not only do I save considerable dollars downgrading to a OV but the 4th deck is quiet and convenient to all other decks.  I highly recommend any cabin on the 4th deck.

• Like 4

On 9/28/2024 at 5:49 PM, cruisermsoon said:

The accessible cabins are quite a bit larger than the normal ones, however some of that extra space is taken up by a much larger bathroom.

Is that a bad thing?  It seems like the biggest complaint about Azamara is the small bathrooms. 

On 9/27/2024 at 11:16 AM, jkgourmet said:

Are those cabins considered very undesirable?    If so, why?

Not at all! We stayed in 4018 on the Onward, then the Pacific Princess, directly across from the Medical Offices. The ship is small enough so that you never feel too far from anywhere. It was our first small ship cruise and as ships keep getting bigger, this is cruising to us! Mega-ships are floating resorts.

Next door was a woman solo traveler, so no noise from her. Being forward on the ship, I was suprised at no hull noise. We hit the edge of a storm on our TA and being a smaller ship, the sea tossed us about some. Glad I brought diphenhydramine for that.

The best thing about the ship, to us, was the library, but I do not know what AZ did with the space.

Edited by mtnesterz

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Not at all! We stayed in 4018 on the Onward, then the Pacific Princess, directly across from the Medical Offices. The ship is small enough so that you never feel too far from anywhere. It was our first small ship cruise and as ships keep getting bigger, this is cruising to us! Mega-ships are floating resorts.

Next door was a woman solo traveler, so no noise from her. Being forward on the ship, I was suprised at no hull noise. We hit the edge of a storm on our TA and being a smaller ship, the sea tossed us about some. Glad I brought diphenhydramine for that.

The best thing about the ship, to us, was the library, but I do not know what AZ did with the space.

On Onward, the library is now the Atlas Bar. Books have been moved to a side of the Living Room.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

On Onward, the library is now the Atlas Bar. Books have been moved to a side of the Living Room.

Which Azamara said was precipitated by the terrible condition Princess left it in. All the other ships, including ex-Princess Pursuit, still have them and in beautiful condition. 

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Which Azamara said was precipitated by the terrible condition Princess left it in. All the other ships, including ex-Princess Pursuit, still have them and in beautiful condition. 

I was on the Pacific Princess  not long before it was sold to Azamara. The condition of the ship inside and out was poor other than the fairly new carpeting in public areas.

In 2019 when Quest did a short Alaska season I chose an ocean view on deck 4 near guest services  for my fourth Alaska cruise and really enjoyed it. On a port intensive cruise I would probably do it again. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to sail Azamara only a short drive from home.

• Like 1