Loyalty Programme to be launched

Poppy45

6 hours ago, tfred said:

if they are smart they will tie in the MSC program to get pax looking upstream

If they’re even smarter they’ll offer a status match with those holding higher status with some competing luxury lines - those guests are already prequalified as regular luxury cruises 

That’s the approach the airlines go for with status matches - take guests off competitors as opposed to trying to invent those in their programme who aren’t travelling enough to qualify for the higher levels 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

If they’re even smarter they’ll offer a status match with those holding higher status with some competing luxury lines - those guests are already prequalified as regular luxury cruises 

That’s the approach the airlines go for with status matches - take guests off competitors as opposed to trying to invent those in their programme who aren’t travelling enough to qualify for the higher levels 

a few years ago MSC was offering status to hotel program members. I am a top end Marriott member (Lifetime Titanium) and MSC offered the next to top tier challenge. for that.  Never took advantage of it as there was a time frame for the challenge.   That is what tells me that all the lines are looking to actively poach hotel vacationers 

On 10/10/2024 at 12:06 PM, Poppy45 said:

Currently onboard and heard that Explora will launch its Loyalty Programme imminently. Watch this space……

I can confirm, from a reliable source on board, start date is October 16th. We will disembarking that day, so we won’t see the announcement on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Loyalty is a two way street. Recognising loyalty can lock some guests in at minimum cost vs marketing costs to get new customers. It’s not entitlement it’s business sense. 
There are many things that loyalty could give - it could be as simple as the Viking model of a single level club with a discount for future bookings to a more complex multi tier membership system. For me a laundry benefit would be a big plus. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 8

I really don't like "loyalty plans" and I'm on several.  Benefits are paid for mostly by new cruisers in this case.  Cruises increase in price to pay for said "loyalty plan." Also initial promised benefits are slowly diminished as loyalty numbers increase.

Just tell me how much the cruise is and what I'm getting for what I pay. I'm good with that.

Edited by chill6x6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Also initial promised benefits are slowly diminished as loyalty numbers increase.

I agree. I'm at an age where I have seen this story too many times and don't bother anymore. If by luck it happens to give me a perk fine, but I don't play the loyalty game.

Reminds me of how many companies over the years gave a one time/lifetime offer for "one low price", to only change owners/name and say the offer is no longer valid.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

What do you think you’re entitled to? Seriously 

I see what you’re saying but does this mean that you have refused ALL loyalty programs available to us Canadians?

No PC Optimum, no AirMiles, no Scene +, no LD Extras…?

I’m paraphrasing my long departed dad, but if someone’s offering, I’m taking!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 3

A little exposure to higher end cruise lines might provide a different point of view of loyalty programs.  Loyalty programs of SS, SB and H-L have never been degraded AFAIK.   

Rewards are significant if you are a serious cruiser, but hardly worth chasing.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For Silversea, the main rewards are free unlimited laundry and 5% off all cruises  (and an extra 5% off a fairly long list of loyalty program sailings) at 100 days. This increases to 10%  off all cruises and 15% off the loyalty program cruises at 250 days. There is a  "free" 7 day cruise at 350 days, a "free" 14 day cruise at 500 days, and a "free" 7 day cruise every 150 days thereafter. I understand some of the other luxury lines are more generous and similar rewards are reached more quickly.

On 10/13/2024 at 1:51 PM, Hlitner said:

The thing about MSC is that one's status expires, unless they keep cruising.  Not sure of the current terms, but the status level used to expire if one did not book a cruise within the prior 3 years.

Hank

that is a good thing. It really weeds out all the low volume pax that gobble up resources because of cruises 10 years ago.

Many cruisers can't cruise at the rate of hotel stay or airline flights but they at least have to be on the board every 12-18 months?  

Loyalty goes both ways 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, uktog said:

Well structured loyalty programs are cost neutral. It’s been well documented in various in depth marketing research studies that even in the highest end programmes (hotels, airlines etc) they support retention and with a good section of initial users encourage engagement at a lower or equal cost to other marketing interventions. 

I would agree that you certainly do not want a programme seen on mass market lines which even extends to venues exclusive to frequent cruisers. Awful concept. I hate on some lines including one luxury line where there is vicious competition to be “the top cruiser”. 

I do like the Viking concept- purely a small $100 thank you, sometimes more linked to other sakes for coming back booking incentive. You  have no idea on board who is a first time and who is a 51st timer unless you asked them. 

Like Dr Cocktail I will graciously accept what comes and will certainly join the club. The most valuable thing they could have given me over my last four Explora cruises is a direct number to a named person who could help me and my agent cut through and fix the booking/ cancelling/ cancelling the rebooked trip I had to endure plus listen constructively to feedback (positive and less positive). 

I live in hope I have a positive stress free cruise later this month. Explora has so much potential (with or without a loyalty programme). Currently they are getting it wrong in so many stupid little places despite offering in my mind the best food at sea. 

What I like about my Marriott program status (lifetime highest tier) is that when I have a problem of any sort I have an express lane to get that resolved. No "on hold" or "we will call you back". 

I am middle of the pack on Celebrity but that got me free everyday laundry on Silversea. I can't tell you how good that is   Yes, we are dropping pretty good money on those cruises but an extra $75/day does add up   You know that I am looking at Silversea first. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

So can you Please tell me the info on the ocean terrace suites VS Ocean Grand they dont seem to know anything on there own web page no info at all hummm! 

Try the Suites section of the menu on their website https://explorajourneys.com/uk/en/suites/Ocean-Suites

Ocean Grand Suites have a bigger veranda and are quite a lot more expensive than the Ocean Suites.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Try the Suites section of the menu on their website https://explorajourneys.com/uk/en/suites/Ocean-Suites

Ocean Grand Suites have a bigger veranda and are quite a lot more expensive than the Ocean Suites.

I don’t know about the grands but we do not have a butler with our Ocean suite.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mommapadraig said:

I don’t know about the grands but we do not have a butler with our Ocean suite.

48 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Thank you Very Helpful !! Cheers Dan

• Like 2