Don’t travel with NCL for Itinerary

Trailblazerram

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I am a Diamond member and cruise NCL 4-6 times a year. Out of all of my cruises, I have never had this happen. The OP makes it sound like very cruise is a bait-n-switch and it has never happened to us. 

I admit I sort of agreed with the prevalent support for NCL. But I'm booked on Africa on Dawn. On my upcoming cruise 3 ports were dropped on a 12day cruise adding 3 at sea days. All itinerary was changed except first and last day. Changes announced after final payment. And after anyone booking independent excursions had booked. The reason - "environmental concerns." The compensation for missing 25% of the cruise - $100 OBC and 10% FCC for most, but I was told my oceanview got me $50 OBC, NO FCC. From the USA I'm flying a 15 hour flight, missing 25% of itinerary, and they are generously offering me $50 OBC. 

I will keep my next 6 cruises booked for next year - they're all north American cruises and not bucket list. But I won't be booking anything exotic. I had planned to book a southeast Asia, but I'm not risking such a lengthy trip and missing out on 25% or more of what  I believed i was purchasing.

Edited by herbanrenewal
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This is also one of the best itineraries that NCL offered. Cruise from Haifa to Rome. I did this cruise in 2022. It’s quite a big deal because 2022 was the first time that NCL had the a cruise embarking from Israel. Unfortunately with the current geopolitical tension in Middle East, I don’t see any cruise visiting Israel in near future. 

IMG_2952.png.178b520ef21aa5f50eb364e0762b12c5.png

• Haha 1

I choose NCL specifically FOR their itinerary. Yet... I know to go with the flow should things change. You can choose to embrace the changes, or be miserable. I choose to embrace the changes. I still get to travel to places I likely wouldn't get to otherwise. Island hopping is still easier on a ship than taking multiple planes. 

That said... if I was bound and determined to see a particular destination that I have my heart set on seeing... I wouldn't take a cruise to get there. I would just arrange to go there on my own, sans the cruise. Kind of silly to get your heart set on a cruise destination when you know that you are not the captain of the ship and it is going to sail where the company dictates where it goes and for how long. And the fact is.... on most Port days... you really don't have enough time in any particular location to truly explore it. And quite frankly... better to explore someplace without thousands of other cruisers all infiltrating the city at the same time.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I totally understand the need to go with the flow when it comes to cruising especially when weather or unforeseen events cause changes. I expect the OP who is at the Sapphire level has experienced port cancelations for various reasons and continued to choose NCL. We have too as is expected with 29 NCL cruises so far. We can go with the flow when things are out of the captain's control. That isn't the problem being discussed. 

A lot of recent changes in  NCL itineraries aren't spontaneous adjustments but rather planned and intentional changes. Unfortunately, these itinerary shifts are being made to cut costs on fuel and other expenses, and passengers aren’t being informed until after their final non-refundable payments have been made or close to final payment. This has happened to us three times this year.

I agree that if someone has their heart set on a specific destination, independent travel might be a better option. But for those of us who carefully selected NCL because of a specific itinerary over an alternate choice, it feels unfair when they realize that the trip they planned and paid for has changed significantly without adequate notice.  Please go look at the other itinerary change thread to see the 4 changed ports on the Prima sailing. That is ridiculous to make those kind of changes after final payment.

Most people seem to have no empathy on these changes until it happens to them after spending hours planning excursions that are now canceled and they are stuck with an extra unexpected sea day or a port they have already experienced and don't care to visit again.

We made a choice trusting the locations promised would be honored and now the only thing we can do is warn others about the increase in this practice of cancelations to save expenses and allow others to decide if they want to risk it or not. We are reducing our risk and choosing other options. 

It doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the next few NCL cruises as we are excited as usual but we have a serious trust issue to resolve before making additional commitments or going through with final payments with NCL. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JSar said:

You can choose to embrace the changes, or be miserable. I choose to embrace the changes.

....ummm....many just choose to sail with a different cruise line. You can have all the things you mentioned.....great itinerary, island hopping. Why would you limit your options to being miserable on NCL or  embracing their itinerary chaos. Lots of cruise lines not only offer, but routinely deliver, unique itineraries. See also the great explanation immediately above.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

redwinghockeyfan. while im not about to give you a geography lesson, there are many ports offered that are a substantial distance from where the ship docks.

docks in le harve, 2-3 hrs from paris, liverno, about an hour from florence, while i'll never spell it correctly, the port for rome is about an hour away.  london is an hour + from southamptom.  so my hockey friend, please do some homework before you ask a question.

by a previous post, you've already been advised as to where the ship docks for berlin. 

@dhanakorn There is no doubt that NCL offers many wonderful itineraries on which they manage to sail to all of the promised ports exactly as advertised.  There also have been recent reports, however, that on many other cruises, NCL has made significant itinerary changes after the final payment due date.  The more disturbing fact is that many passengers have researched the schedules published by local port authorities and have found that in some cases NCL never made plans to visit the ports which they had advertised.  If this happened only once or twice, it might be dismissed as merely an unfortunate coincidence.  The repetitive nature of this pattern, though, seems to indicate a deliberate attempt on the part of NCL to engage in bait-and-switch marketing.

• Like 5

We absolutely choose our cruises primarily by the itinerary, although there are other factors.  However, itineraries with nothing but port days are not all they are cracked up to be.  We recently sailed Rome to Trieste on Viva, with not a single sea day.  We stayed on board only in Livorno, which was the first full day.  On paper the itinerary looked amazing (and there were no changes at any stage, so I guess we were lucky there), and the ports were all great.  But I believe you need some sea days, if only to process and fully absorb the things you've been seeing and doing, and to enjoy the shipboard experience in a more relaxed manner.  Unfortunately we weren't fans of the ship, for reasons which have been well covered elsewhere, and we don't believe that a ship like Viva, with its heavy focus on onboard fee-based amusements, is a good fit for a port-rich, destination focused itinerary. But that's another topic ...  I will add though, that any cruise line that made changes to our itinerary for cost cutting rather than safety, as described by numerous posters in this and other threads, would definitely not earn my loyalty or my custom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Most people seem to have no empathy on these changes until it happens to them after spending hours planning excursions that are now canceled and they are stuck with an extra unexpected sea day or a port they have already experienced and don't care to visit again.

I can't speak for others... but I have had itinerary changes on both of my cruises recent cruises. In fact... my upcoming cruise dropped the port I was most excited about the day before final payment was due, and indeed - I am getting an extra sea day that I didn't want. Again... embrace the change or CHOOSE to be miserable... the choice is yours. (Or cancel if that is an option)

Yeah... weather cancelled my shore excursion in Alaska. I was very disappointed I didn't get to do the helicopter tour of the Glacier. I found a cool trail to hike instead. And I received a sizeable refund to my total cruise cost due to the shore excursion cancellation.

Yeah... NCL moved my Venice port to Trieste (not surprising there)... I found a castle to explore and enjoyed walking along the water line. And I know the crowds in Venice are insane, so

Yeah... we arrived VERY late to Victoria... decided it wasn't worth the time it took to get on and off the ship for the little bit of time we would have at the port... so I stayed on the ship. Can't remember if I headed to a show or to the Thermal Suite, but it was fine and I still enjoyed my time

And yeah... I don't get to go to Bonaire on my next cruise. I was really looking forward to renting a golf cart to explore the island and find some great snorkeling spots. So... for the extra sea day I choose to book a 100 minute massage and then find other great snorkeling spots on other islands you visit.

Yeah... itinerary changes suck, but you can CHOOSE to embrace them or be miserable. And yeah...  you can take your business elsewhere. I have read about a lot of itinerary changes on this page. There are only 2 scenarios that would upset me that I have recently read about. The one where it changed the final port to a different country. That would upset me because I buy non-refundable tickets quite often. But again... that is a choice I made. And the other is the cruise that had a more exotic itinerary that isn't often available and half of the ports were changed (same one you you described). Yeah... that would tick me off. But the vast majority of changes, I would go with the flow and find something else I want to do instead. And MOST itinerary changes I can easily adapt to. 

@luv2kroooz Of COURSE you can choose a different cruise line. That is a given. NCL still has a lot of great itineraries to choose from. If you don't like them... of COURSE find a different cruise line. 

Another example of first world problems... 

Edited by JSar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dare I mention an AWSOME itinerary change on my 2023 TA? Incoming bad weather made the captain make a great early decision to skip Bermuda and head straight to NY, our debarkation port. They weren't sure we'd be allowed to dock properly and leave the ship on our overnight. But it all turned out fabulous! We arrived in NY Sunday afternoon, had to get off the ship and do immigration and were then free to stay until Tuesday (debarkation day) and I, who had zero interest in Bermuda and had never been to NY had a great Sunday evening and Monday all day in NY!

Yes, a fortunate turn like this is the exception, but I still wanted to mention it. 😄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think this thread emphasises how people get different things from cruising, but my joy comes from visiting different places. I dislike sea days on most lines. My reason to give up on Norwegian is a 12 day cruise which had 2 sea days turning to 6 sea days in order to save fuel. By looking at their excursions offered on their website it seems they were not going to visit some of the ports anyway. They let people know after payment so it will cost people money to cancel and they know they are not likely to. When a firm is not to be trusted there are plenty of others who you could go with instead. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Yes, there already is an active one.

18 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Jesus, how many more topics of this kind do we need ?🙄

Given the chorus of folx that just don't believe it to be true, because their personal cruises weren't impacted, I'd say we need many more of these threads so people understand just how conniving NCL can be. I know and still book NCL, therefore shame on me when I do get one of the change notices (I'm expecting Costa Maya to be canceled on my upcoming cruise in February). 

16 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Do not cruise ANY line simply for the itinerary.  Any seasoned cruiser knows that.

And seasoned cruisers on these boards are warning others exactly this. Do not cruise NCL if you want to go somewhere specific. We all know war and weather can impact the itinerary. Itineraries shouldn't be impacted by NCL's pitiful reasons ahead of the sailing (many times just after final payment). 

16 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

For the lucky ones who haven’t been impacted by itinerary changes after final payment, please review the specific examples provided. 

The examples are real and they aren’t being canceled due to weather reasons like several of you cited. 

Oh, but these didn't happen to those posting here, so it can't possibly be true!! Just look at all the amazing itineraries posted as being completed. Nah, NCL would never do such a thing. We're just flogging NCL for no reason, whatsoever. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Asawi said:

Dare I mention an AWSOME itinerary change on my 2023 TA? Incoming bad weather made the captain make a great early decision to skip Bermuda and head straight to NY, our debarkation port. They weren't sure we'd be allowed to dock properly and leave the ship on our overnight. But it all turned out fabulous! We arrived in NY Sunday afternoon, had to get off the ship and do immigration and were then free to stay until Tuesday (debarkation day) and I, who had zero interest in Bermuda and had never been to NY had a great Sunday evening and Monday all day in NY!

Yes, a fortunate turn like this is the exception, but I still wanted to mention it. 😄 

Depends on who you ask.  I would be very disappointed to miss Bermuda and get an extra day in NY.  

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Question for all those complaining about changes in itinerary to save fuel:

Do you think the majority of  those cruising would prefer no changes to the itinerary or a fuel surcharge?

Fuel surcharge, please.

OR NCL itinerary planners could kindly use the brain the dear lord gave them to create itineraries that are compliant with their fake sustainable sailing goals.

OR just make the d@mn change BEFORE final payment is due.

So many ways to solve this. Only one inconveniences the guest which is how NCL has chosen to solve the issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Fuel surcharge, please.

OR NCL itinerary planners could kindly use the brain the dear lord gave them to create itineraries that are compliant with their fake sustainable sailing goals.

OR just make the d@mn change BEFORE final payment is due.

So many ways to solve this. Only one inconveniences the guest which is how NCL has chosen to solve the issue.

Actually, implementing a fuel surcharge would inconvenience most guests.

Question: don't  you think changing these itineraries is a way to create itineraries that are compliant.

Question: how do  you know the sustainability goals are fake?

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, implementing a fuel surcharge would inconvenience most guests.

Question: don't  you think changing these itineraries is a way to create itineraries that are compliant.

Question: how do  you know the sustainability goals are fake?

Hence one of the options inconveniences guests. 

No. Create the itinerary to be compliant. Don't alter it after the fact. If you messed up, deal with it. 

It's a cruise line. Cruises and the environment are two diametrically opposed goals. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

Depends on who you ask.  I would be very disappointed to miss Bermuda and get an extra day in NY.  

I absolutely understand that. Which highlights that experiences can be subjective.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hence one of the options inconveniences guests. 

No. Create the itinerary to be compliant. Don't alter it after the fact. If you messed up, deal with it. 

It's a cruise line. Cruises and the environment are two diametrically opposed goals. 

How can you say an increase of can be up to 10% of the total cost of the cruise would not inconvenience passengers?  BTW, cruise lines can charge the surcharge even if the fare has already been paid in full.

Changing the itinerary is a way of dealing with fuel costs.

Since cruising and environmental concerns are diametrically opposed, why are "sustainable sailing goals" fake?  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

How can you say an increase of can be up to 10% of the total cost of the cruise would not inconvenience passengers?  BTW, cruise lines can charge the surcharge even if the fare has already been paid in full.

Changing the itinerary is a way of dealing with fuel costs.

Since cruising and environmental concerns are diametrically opposed, why are "sustainable sailing goals" fake?  

Oh my.

• Thanks 1

So...let me see if I have this straight.

Don't cruise on NCL because of itinerary changes. Or bad entertainment. Or once daily cabin service. Or horrible food. Or waits for drinks. Or MAS replacing FAS+. Or no hash browns or cookies. Or...

That does it! You've all convinced me. I'M NEVER SAILING NCL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

(With the exception of our February cruise. Or the #Schmoopiefest 2026 cruise.)

Or maybe another one later in 2026.

But other than that, I MEAN IT!!!!! (Did I use enough exclamation marks?)

• Haha 9

16 hours ago, dhanakorn said:

Another amazing itinerary from NCL that I did last year. 12-day Norwegian fjords from Southampton to Tromso. Princess has similar itinerary at double the price of NCL (especially for solo travelers). 

IMG_4017.png.6ad02d3a263c03baaf8752dfc24e583a.png

We did the same cruise last year (May/June) and it was a superb itinerary with very good weather for the time of year.

Catherine

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Question for all those complaining about changes in itinerary to save fuel:

Do you think the majority of  those cruising would prefer no changes to the itinerary or a fuel surcharge?

NCL KNOWS the amount of fuel they need for a specific itinerary. These are not two college students sitting there with a calculator in their hand.these are professionals and can calculate the amount of fuel pretty exactly.  And also the fuel prices might change but usually the fluctuation is not that big. And even if it would be,they wouldn`t know it already 4 months in advance.

If they need more money for the fuel due to whatever reasons then they should simply raise their cruise prices by 10-20 USD. Nobody would notice it and everybody would be happy to get the itinerary they booked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2