Poll for adults regarding spending.

NZYU

How do you pay for a cruise?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pay for a cruise?

• Save for it and pay in full.
    • Charge it and make monthly payments.
    • Charge it for bonus miles but pay off balance in full.

Let's see if I can figure out how to turn this into a poll. I'd like adults to answer questions for a math and social studies unit for older students.

Poll questions

1. How do you pay for a cruise?

a. Save for a cruise and then pay in full.

b. Charge your cruise and make monthly payments for it on your credit cards after the cruise.

c. Charge the cruise for bonus miles but pay off balance in full.

We're going to omit the last two questions from the original thread.

You need yet another option for your poll--use your checking/debit card and make monthly payments before the cruise. Not the same as making payments on a credit card, because it's coming out of your checking account.

We use our cruise credit card (Royal Caribbean through MBNA) and pay it off every month. We charge everything from groceries, gas, car insurance, college tuition. The key is to pay it off every month. After 1 1/2 years, we have almoxt enough for a cruise for myself and DH, 7 day, outside (balcony or mini suite, value up to $2500). Can't wait to take the "free cruise".

We are going on Princess for the first time this saturday. Can't wait to try them out. Have read so many GOOD things about Princess!

Combination of all 3.....

I will always charge it for the miles and for travel protection.

I usually have half of the cost saved when I charge it and I pay it off within 2-3 months (usually by when I cruise) off of the charge card. I do charge it to a United Miles credit card but if I have a balance - I transfer it to a 0% card until I pay the charge off. So, no interest and miles :)

We only charge the deposit against our credit card (no extra charge) because most TA's, and everyone else in the travel business in the UK, charges 2% when you pay the balance on a credit card. So we pay the balance using a debit card after transferring the cash from savings.

Yet another example of how we Brits get screwed by our financial services sector.:mad:

John.

We use our cc for airline miles....One poster said they get points and travel protection from charging their cc....did I understand that correctly? I would love to know which cc they use.

It was me and I should clarify. I get miles for charging. As far as protection - I meant the protection of using a credit card (verses paying cash). We have had a few local agencies go under and a bunch of these people paid cash for their vacations and lost their money. I never used credit cards before I started traveling but find it very important to do so now a days.

There are a few benefits United's card has but I think many Visa/MCs have these:

Up to $1,000,000 Travel Accident Insurance3

Up to $300 Trip Delay Reimbursement

Up to $3,000 Lost Luggage Insurance

Thanks Coral...for the info. I will have to check our cc to see what type of protection it has....We also only pay for trips/airline tics, ect...with cc for the same reason you do....I hope those that use their debit cards know that they are not afforded the same protection as debit cards are looked at as if writing a check....If using a debit card get clarification in writing whether your back insures for loss.

Exactly. I think your poll question and answers need re-working.

Probably, but remember this is for kids and most don't usually see beyond next week, let alone thirty years in the future. However, those responses will be noted and does fit the theme of the unit: Interest / Savings / Managing money wisely...

Only three choices because sometimes people get overwhelmed with too many choices and don't bother to answer.

Thanks for your input, everyone.

We pay ours with a credit card.. but pay the card balance in full when the bill is due.

We have the security of using the credit card and the benefits of what is offered, but do not string it out and pay the interest on the balance.

We pay ours with a credit card.. but pay the card balance in full when the bill is due.

We have the security of using the credit card and the benefits of what is offered, but do not string it out and pay the interest on the balance.

Same here. I have never paid a dime in interest.

We cruise when we want and really do not save for it.

Oh boy, our's was confusing:) Payment made to cc, that way we get GM dollars towards a new vehicle. Then moved it to the line of credit, and then paid it off in full when our income tax refund for last year came:)

Whatever works.. Happy cruising.. :D

LARGIN I agree! I cruise when I want and don't pay any interest either!...just don't believe in lining those greedy Bank pockets more than I have to.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

We always put it on an airline credit card. Those miles really add up. Last August we went on an Inside Passage cruise (Sun Princess). Our flight was from Washington, D.C. to Vancouver and return from Fairbanks - we used FF miles, so no extra airfare on that one.

Archived