Distribution of tips to waiter, assistant and cabin steward

denjude

When a passenger "opts out" of the automatic tipping policy that many cruise lines employ and presents the crew member with a gratuity on a personal basis, do others on the ship take a cut? Specifically, does the waiter's supervisor and Maitre 'd get a portion of the waiter's gratuity?

Specifically, no to the two you asked about. The Maitre 'd and the Asst. Maitre 'd are not part of the shared pool anyway, so would not be getting your tips even if you left the automatic tips in place. The staff (including your waiter) knows if a passenger does opt out, however, and they usually will split the tips with those who have assisted them. On some lines its required, on others it is just smart business.

Most lines have now gone to the auto-tip and pooled tips this make it more fair distribution of tips.

In most case if your remove the auto-tip and tip privately the waiter is obligated to pool the tip or face dismissal.

If you do a search here you will find many many discussion on the topic

To avoid any unnecessary problems to the crew members who serve you so well - simply leave your automatic tips in place. It's a very fair amount, so why complicate matters?

The cabin steward, waiter, and his assistant get to keep all from the auto tips, as well as anything extra you might want to give them.

However, if you remove the auto tips and tip individually, YES, those tips must be pooled. When their auto tips are removed completely, they are called into the purser's office to explain what they did WRONG to have had their tips removed.:eek:

The ONLY way to assure that the folks who serve you get their proper amount is to leave the auto tips on your account.

I do not agree with this. It really is your choice as to whether or not you want to tip automatically or if you want to give the folks the tip in cash. It won't affect pooling, at least on those cruises that I have been on, specifically if you are tipping the waiter, assistant waiter, and cabin steward. There are other types of personnel that do pool tips but again this varies by cruise line.

Keith

RCCL doesnt POOL tip. One reason some have told us they wanted to work on them. They get to keep the tip they work hard for and those who dont work hard get what tip is given to them. I think that is the way it should be. If I go out to eat and they do a bad job I sure as heck am not going to tip the 15% or more I would someone who does a wondeful job. I always opp out and tip them in cash.So far only one person has been given less then what the cruise line says it should be, we never did see this person and they never once came to our table to look in on us or get anything for anyone at ours. This was a few years ago. The last one got more then what they say as he was there every night talking to us and helping people with seafood that needed deshelled.

I think people can pick what makes them feel right on tipping, to auto or cash.

Most lines have now gone to the auto-tip and pooled tips this make it more fair distribution of tips.

In most case if your remove the auto-tip and tip privately the waiter is obligated to pool the tip or face dismissal.

If you do a search here you will find many many discussion on the topic

the wiater/asst waiter and cabin steward do not pool tips at all. This is a myth. Bar waiters do pool tips and they do have a quota to meet. (thats why you get pusht waiters on the lido deck.-nothing personal)

If you are happy with the service leave the tips alone-- and if wanting to tip more at the end do so with cash.

Tips that are automatically deducted go into the persons account. Their families have instant access when its applied. cash tips need to wait til the person can visit the accountant onbaord to get it deposit.. Not an easy feat to do when one is soo busy many hours out of every day.

the wiater/asst waiter and cabin steward do not pool tips at all. This is a myth. Bar waiters do pool tips and they do have a quota to meet. (thats why you get pusht waiters on the lido deck.-nothing personal)

Depends on the cruiselines whether they pool the tips.

Depends on the cruiselines whether they pool the tips.

Carnival, Rroyal and Princess do not pool tips for cabin stewards, waiter and asst waiters.

I dont know about Celebrity or HAL

I do not agree with this. It really is your choice as to whether or not you want to tip automatically or if you want to give the folks the tip in cash. Keith

Well, your choice not to agree with it or not, but those are the rules. It is true you can remove the auto-tip. If you take off the auto-tip and give it to them separately they are required to pool it.

IIt won't affect pooling, at least on those cruises that I have been on, specifically if you are tipping the waiter, assistant waiter, and cabin steward. There are other types of personnel that do pool tips but again this varies by cruise line. Keith

The waiter / assistant waiter / cabin steward are required to pool. Recently, every one of those that I have tipped "extra" specifically request my room number so it can be verified I have not removed the auto-tip.

What are the other types of personnel you refer to..... certainly the bar tenders / waitresses / poolside waiter / etc are pooling

Well, your choice not to agree with it or not, but those are the rules. It is true you can remove the auto-tip. If you take off the auto-tip and give it to them separately they are required to pool it.

The waiter / assistant waiter / cabin steward are required to pool. Recently, every one of those that I have tipped "extra" specifically request my room number so it can be verified I have not removed the auto-tip.

What are the other types of personnel you refer to..... certainly the bar tenders / waitresses / poolside waiter / etc are pooling

As I mentioned the sharing of tips by these personnel did not happen on the cruise lines that I have sailed with including Seabourn (tipping is not required), Crystal, Celebrity, Princess, and Holland just to name a few. It might happen on some but just not the ones that I have sailed on. With that said, there are certain personnel that if you tip (whether auto or hand them money) on certain lines they will share their tips, just not the folks who are the waiter, assistant waiter, room steward, on the lines that I mentioned.

But, as I said, I'm not saying it's not the case on other lines. Just not the lines I'm familiar with.

Keith

Pooling tips really needs to be looked at.

WHy work the extra mile for the extra tip when you have to share it with someone who does "just the basic"? I mean they will get money no matter what?

On ships that I have sailed I have had the wonderful oportunity to talk with some people- the hotel manager re cabin stewards tipping policy. On carnival the cabin steward will hire people that work below the decks and offer them added money to help them clean cabins. THis money comes out of his tips. Majority of people tip the cabin steward-not the helper. (I believe this is where the pooling for cabin steward comes from)

cabin stewards are all different- some have 10 cabins. some have 6 where another will have 20. SOmeone who has 20 cabins will make a heck of a lot more then the one who does 6-- the one who does 20 cabins may have 2 helpers where the one who does 6 has no helpers.

whats the incentive for people to tip more if they have to pool tips.

I have to wonder why a person is so concerned about how the tips are distributed if they are pooled. I would feel odd discussing another persons income with them, I don't feel it's any of my business.

I'm all for auto tips and pooling of tips, that way, all the people serving you on a cruise ship are paid for the work they do. If you have a problem with a particular employee, bring it to the attention of their manager. To eliminate tips only makes you look cheap, it does nothing to affect future service at all.

If you eliminate the auto-tips, there is a possibility that you are shorting some of the people you were pleasantly served by. Say, the people working the buffets and the servers waiting on you in the dining room for breakfast and lunch.

As I mentioned the sharing of tips by these personnel did not happen on the cruise lines that I have sailed with including Seabourn (tipping is not required), Crystal, Celebrity, Princess, and Holland just to name a few. It might happen on some but just not the ones that I have sailed on.

Keith

Maybe you just were not aware they pooled the tips.

with the inception of Freestyle, personnal choice or anytime dining options the auto -tips have been started on many cruiselines and pooled so all wait staff get a share for their hard work.

Princess

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na475

http://www.princess.com/faq/onboard_experience.html

HAL

http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=money&topic=gratuity

The other you mention still have the choice of who you tip .

Kathy: yes, I do have a big problem with tipping my service people if they have to share it with someone who didnt do anything at all for me. Asking them if they pool tips is not asking them what they make on any given week.

then same with a waiter who waits on 4 tables will be sharing that tip with someone who waits on 2 tables-- jsut doesnt seem fair.

But on the other hand sailing on Princess and heading to anytime dining- and not having the same wait staff every night-- I can see pooling those tips.

If tips are pooled I wont tip extra--whats the sense?

If tips are pooled I wont tip extra--whats the sense?

If you tip more than the auto -tip I believe they get to keep that portion.

You can always ask the Purser onboard.

Archived