Beware cabin 8108 on the Constellation

MaryJean56

Oh that sucks,we went through the same thing on the Legend a couple of months ago.

Cabinn 4226 a cat 11 suite,the deckplans show a big balcony and needless to say we were shocked by the fact that the balcony was small along with the fact that there was a stairway running by the bedroom window.

My heart goes out to you on this,why don't cruiselines let people know ?

Some people save for years to treat themseleves to a suite or a CC and to have this happen could ruin a trip of a life time,just makes me mad.

BTW,this will make you laugh....

This was our 5th cruise in a suite on CCL,as a make up they offered us a plate of choclate covered strawberries on our next cruise LMAO...

I would of been happy with the $200 credit pp,but come on.

Anyways we are now booked on the comstellation for MArch 23rd next year and I will make sure we dont get that cabin.

Thanks for the info.

We booked a concierge class cabin 8108 on the Constellation and expected to get a slightly larger room and a slightly larger veranda and instead got what I believe is the smallest veranda in the entire Celebrity fleet. My complaint here is that none of the deck plans show this in any way and Celebrity should not have sold this cabin as a concierge class stateroom with this tiny veranda. My husband and I love to spend time out on the veranda and we were really disappointed with this one. We had a wonderful time on the cruise, especially with our cruise critic friends who made many jokes about our tiny veranda, but I am posting this in the hopes that others will avoid it and MAYBE Celebrity will stop selling this cabin as a concierge class cabin. The picture shows the outside of the veranda, so you can see how it tapers in to meet the Celebrity Suite on the side. It roughly measured 54" wide at one end and 26" wide at the other. I actually had trouble getting to the chair at the narrow end.

Bottom line, please beware of this and other similarly situated cabins.

I suggest that you to write a letter of complaint to Celebrity. We had 8102 on the Millennium, on the other side of the all-window Celebrity suite. Not only was the verandah so small it was almost useless, but there was no privacy. People in the suite could look right in on us and vice versa.

Passengers should not be charged concierge-class fares for CC cabins with the tiny, wedge-shaped balconies, and I urge you to state that in your letter or e-mail to Celebrity.

• 6 months later...

We had a CC on Infinity cabin #8100, this past May, and the window washer was on our balcony. Needless to say my husband was furious, especially they couldn't move it, it was broken and tied down. So he took a picture and had the guest relations write a letter which he included in with his letter and picture of our "lovely" Alaskan view. He was very civil and we received $1100. refund. Good luck, and remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

Dave, Do you work for the cruise line? I love my aft balcony and I booked more than a year in advance for it. I don't want to have to pay $500 more for it though. I saw Mary Jean's balcony as we were on the same cruise. While all the CC prices are the same this was really a bad balcony. Her travel agent should have warned her about this. Pat

Very good question, RodPat!! I have often wondered about that in reading some posts. CC should mean a little something extra, for your overall cruising experience. That is why there are no CC cabins that are inside cabins!

but I think Celebrity should shut the doors, not allow entry onto this veranda and not sell it as a veranda cabin. I don't think it would be very difficult for someone to fall off the veranda trying to get to the other side of the table. Imagine having a couple of kids and being in that cabin..I can just see kids climbing on top of the table to get to the other side.

you lucked out with the credit you received--we got stuck with 8102--on the other side of the suite...it was a tiny pie shaped balcony big enough for one person to stand on--husb used it to smoke--the worst part was that the occupants of the suite could peer right into our cabin from their living area---never thought to complain but when we got home we re-booked our next M class cabins for something not next to a suite...these should have flags in the books that they are undersized balconies with limited privacy!

Maybe Celebrity should create a new class of cabin for these undersized balconies. Maybe call them category 2D- junior balcony, and price them just above oceanview?

That way, people who want to "try out" a balcony and see if they like it will have an opportunity to do so at a reasonable price, and Celebrity can be honest that these cabins are not as desirable. It might even save them money in the long run because the passengers who decide they like balconies and want to purchase a full balcony next time. And they won't have to pay off unhappy passengers who expect a real balcony.

Also, then when pax book a CC, they know they truly are getting a great cabin and not just going with the lottery.

I'm the kind of person who gets excited about cruises months in advance, and if I dreamed about enjoying my balcony and then saw that, it would be a major disappointment and I'd be furious that I was tricked into paying so much money for next to nothing.

I'm now a bit concerned about our CC cabin on Constellation. Does anyone know if the veranda for cabin 9108 is as small as the one for 8108? From the pictures, I fear we shall meet the same fate...:(

Your cabin (9108) is not located next to a Royal Suite as is 8108. Yours is five cabins aft of the suite (9098). Your balcony will be the 41 sq ft variety and is in a very good location.

Enjoy your cruise.

My issue was regarding CC class, not the size of the balcony.

However, a little math shows that the veranda in this cabin is less square footage than the ADVERTISED sizes of 41 sg ft. Its actually a little bigger than half that size.

As for a refund....not sure about that, but if it were up to me I definitely would issue a cabin credit of some sort.

But on the same token, any verandah other than the standard size of 41sf SHOULD have a cost increase based on the larger sizes. Such as the CC class on the penthouse deck, or in the aft. Some of those decks are 5 times bigger than standard...so maybe an addition 400-500 per person would be applicable.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Dave:eek:

Just a few years ago, the sky suites on the penthouse deck of Century Class Ships, which have much smaller balconies than the ones on the sky deck, were classified as category 1 suites instead of sky suites. At that time there was a price difference between them because of the smaller balcony even though the cabins were the same size.

• 2 weeks later...
Your cabin (9108) is not located next to a Royal Suite as is 8108. Yours is five cabins aft of the suite (9098). Your balcony will be the 41 sq ft variety and is in a very good location.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, John...I had made up my mind to enjoy the cruise no matter what; however, you've eased my mind, none the less. May you have calm seas and fair winds on all your voyages. :)

Sherry

There is a post called Worst Cabins ? where many people have recorded their observations about cabins they did not enjoy. It was actually updated this morning at 1:08 am.

It lists 8108 as a small balcony. Check the post by hollym.

We booked a concierge class cabin 8108 on the Constellation and expected to get a slightly larger room and a slightly larger veranda and instead got what I believe is the smallest veranda in the entire Celebrity fleet. My complaint here is that none of the deck plans show this in any way and Celebrity should not have sold this cabin as a concierge class stateroom with this tiny veranda. My husband and I love to spend time out on the veranda and we were really disappointed with this one. We had a wonderful time on the cruise, especially with our cruise critic friends who made many jokes about our tiny veranda, but I am posting this in the hopes that others will avoid it and MAYBE Celebrity will stop selling this cabin as a concierge class cabin. The picture shows the outside of the veranda, so you can see how it tapers in to meet the Celebrity Suite on the side. It roughly measured 54" wide at one end and 26" wide at the other. I actually had trouble getting to the chair at the narrow end. Bottom line, please beware of this and other similarly situated cabins.

That is horrible. how tiny! You have every right to be upset! I know I would! I hope they gave you some type of credit. I'm sure you paid what your neighbor in the next cabin paid. unfair i tell you. I'm glad you let us know. Did you speak to someone about this while on the ship? hmpf!

I did speak to the Concierge while on the ship who assured me he would report it and we would receive something from Celebrity. When several weeks passed and we did not hear anything, I wrote my own letter and did receive $300 credit coupons from Celebrity good toward our next cruise. We appreciated the coupons, but we certainly would have rather had a standard veranda on our 12 day cruise like we had expected. I am just hoping that by posting this, others will be for warned.

When we cruised on the Constellation last October, it was a first time for us on that cruise ship and for concierge class.

We had breakfast delivered to us every day, and enjoyed it outside on the verandah when weather permitted. I think that is one of the biggest perks of CC. The full breakfast menu, and eating it on your verandah.

Obviously, you couldn't eat out on yours. I would have been livid if I had paid the full amount of CC and gotten that verandah. Hmmph. That's not even a verandah. I would write them a formal letter. Be very factual, and include your pictures. Don't get emotional or angry. Thank them for their response (in advance).

It irks me when cruise lines charge the same amount for cabins with small decks and obstructed views. They know which cabins have "defects". It shouldn't have to be that the passenger has to go to a website that doesn't even belong to the cruise line to find out about situations like this. There is a thread about bad cabins here, but what about all of the other lines? And, what about people who don't even know about Cruise Critic? I didn't know about it before almost all of my cruises; only the past four.

I see you did get a response from Celebrity. It irks me, though, when cruise lines give future discounts. If you don't or can't use it, then it's no skin off of their back. Meanwhile, they will keep charging the same amount for that cabin. But, you did get something.

I just heard on tv that stores made millions of dollars in revenue from gift cards, and the number of people who never cash in those gift cards was astounding. Something like $63 million dollars worth!! I wonder how much all cruise lines, not just Celebrity, make on "future discounts". How much they give out that never get used. It would be interesting.

It sounds like your cruise was great otherwise. I know that was a painful lesson learned, but now you know to ask about verandah sizes.

Shay

It irks me, though, when cruise lines give future discounts. If you don't or can't use it, then it's no skin off of their back.

Shay

I agree.... it's a "win/win" situation for the cruisline, especially if the credit is for a small amount. They don't have to compensate you for the loss that occurred on your cruise, and they profit by having you spend more money on cruise that you may not have planned to take.

We had an issue on our first cruise that warranted compensation for which we received future credits. I felt that it showed extremely poor goodwill on the part of the cruiseline and felt that a refund commensurate with the loss we experienced should have been given. Our future cruise credits went into the shredder for two reasons.... I was not willing to fork out more money to them within a year in the disgruntled state that I was in over both the handling of the problem that occurred and their idea of fair resolution. And with the high cost of that first cruise, a second cruise within a year wasn't a consideration.

The cruise was wonderful in many other ways and I did not swear off the line entirely ... it's just taken me a while to look at their offerings again.

Archived