Small or Large or Small Table when travelling with spouse only

I have always asked for a large table when just the two of us are cruising. This has always worked out fine for us because I was afraid of a table for 4 and being stuck with two people not compatible. However, my last cruise they put us at a table for 4 and the other two turned out to be great table mates. I have heard a large table could be a group travelling all together and we would be the odd couple that is ignored. Just wonder what other couples request????

Its always the two of us too. We always request a large table. One time we were seated with a family of brothers, sisters and spouses and it worked out great. One of my favorite parts of cruising is meeting such great people.

Jan

My next cruise will be my first with my DH. We are going for the group table. I told my DH they would have to talk to me for the two hours otherwise.

In the past I cruised with family and preferred the larger tables. There was always more conversation and I enjoyed my dinners more.

We too ask for a large table.

Last month on Grandeur, our table got changed prior to our arrival (our Sea Pass Cards were re-marked with a Sharpie;) ) We ended up at a table for 6 and were a bit concerned about who we got seated with-- they were all much younger than us- 17, 18, 22, 23....Our first impression was that they would feel we were the "old fogies" but, we're not old- we're in our 30's & 40's....Just old to them.

It turned out, that the other 2 sets of people were very fun tablemates. They enjoyed our company as much as we enjoyed theirs. They had a lot of fun asking about our experiences, as they were very green under the gills.

Anyway, we always ask for a large table so that we can meet new people and hear about other's experiences.

Jay

Well, we ARE an odd couple, but we don't let that stop us from having fun with table mates. We've had tables for 4, 6, 8 and 12 and we've always had a good time. When we had the table for 12 there were only the same 3 couples (including us) at dinner every night, so we all sat at one end so our waiter wouldn't have to walk all over the place. We like switching around where we're sitting too, but if the others don't want to do that, it's fine.

Three years ago we were at a table for 6. The newlywed couple came to dinner the 1st night only;) . We couldn't stand the other couple:eek: . Dinner was not very pleasant that cruise. Since then we opt for the largest table we can get. Next month we are taking our 21 yo and 18 yo. Love DD and DS but we eat dinner together all the time when they are home from college. I love getting to meet new people from all over:D

Amy

Last cruise we thought we had mistakenly been put at a table for 2. We were going to talk to the Head Waiter, but realized we were looking at the wrong table. I sit alone with my DH every night! We love meeting new people! We would never ask for a table for 2 - the larger the better!

When not traveling with our own large group, we always choose a large table. Its always fun meeting new people and you can learn a lot about each other in the course of seven days. Sometimes you get the brass ring and make enduring friendships where you cruise again together and even have dry land re-unions. We've been lucky to make a few of those. :)

When not traveling with our own large group, we always choose a large table. Its always fun meeting new people and you can learn a lot about each other in the course of seven days. Sometimes you get the brass ring and make enduring friendships where you cruise again together and even have dry land re-unions. We've been lucky to make a few of those. :)

Im with you on this. We have made some great friends and always take the large table. Nice to share what you did for the day with others and talk about what you plan to do the next stop. We have found things to see that were not on the list that others at the table told us about. Makes life more interesting this way.:D

I have always asked for a table for 8. Seems to work out and you usually find something in common with several couples and enjoy all of them. Got a table for 12 acouple of times and was too big, ended up with too many people to meet.

Interesting enough, went on a cruise once after my divorce when I was single and ended up with a table which had seven (I was the odd one) and 4 spoke only Japanese and left us 3 only speeking english. Ended up with having a great week and them, kept in touch, and cruised together the next year. We jokingingly confessed towards the end of the cruise, that we both had considered changing tables due to the language problem, but conversation went so smooth with us 3 ended up staying at the original table. But, as I know, that was an unusual situation.

Table for 8 is my vote.

Dave

Had a table for 6 the last time - dh & I ended up with a family with 2 teenagers - what a wonderful time we had - I enjoyed comparing days, experiences, kids, etc. Hopefully we will haqve just as good of an experience this time. Jan

I have to admit, this is my only concern for our upcoming cruise in June! Last year, we were matched up with a group of 19 - 20 year olds who acted and dressed the part! The girls were dressed in tiny mini skirts and tops... My husband and I are 38 & 40, we had his kids , 10 &11. Whoever would have thought to match us up with that group?? It was awful. And I'm sure they weren't happy either... :rolleyes:

I have to admit, this is my only concern for our upcoming cruise in June! Last year, we were matched up with a group of 19 - 20 year olds who acted and dressed the part! The girls were dressed in tiny mini skirts and tops... My husband and I are 38 & 40, we had his kids , 10 &11. Whoever would have thought to match us up with that group?? It was awful. And I'm sure they weren't happy either... :rolleyes:

I didn't used to know that you can ask to have your table changed. Thanks to Cruise Critic, I now know that if we are placed at a table where I feel uncomfortable, I will ask to have my table changed.

On our last cruise we were at a table for four. The other couple was nice, but they barely spoke English so the conversation was limited. For the last half of the cruise we ended up having the table to ourselves.

For our next cruise we have requested a table for 2 or a large table (8 or more). That way if we do have tablemates there will be more people for a conversation rather than just us and another couple.

We request a large table. I enjoy meeting new people, and DH indulges me.:D On our most recent cruise, we had a table for 2 and I confess that I missed the camaraderie of the larger groups we've had.

We have had the dreaded table for four, and won't do that again. The other couple did not want to make friends with anybody (I like to think it wasn't just us;) ), and so there were long, uncomfortable silences throughout the first meal. They did not show up on the second night, and we did not show on the last one (other than to tip the waitstaff).

For some reason, RCI always assigns us a table for 4 even when we ask for a large one. But now we know to check out our table ahead of time and ask to be changed to a larger one.

We have always been with a larger table and loved it. We have met so many interesting people. Our last cruise (2001) for our 25th anniversary was the most fun table. It was a group of mother, sisters and sister in laws all ready to have a good time. My DH was the only man at the table and so he got special treatment (and kidding) from the waiter! We still talk about it.

I hope our table in November will be just as much fun. November can't come fast enough for me.

Judy

It's unlikely that they would put 1 couple with, say, a family of 8 or 10! They try and keep large groups together. Get a large table--not everyone will be there every night, so you will have someone to talk to regardless!

We were place at a 6-top--1 couple never showed so it ended up being just the 4 of us. 1 night the other couple didn't come to dinner, so we were all alone. (We've been married 33 years--we LIKE having company!!!!) Anyway, get a larger table and you'll have a rip-roaring time!

On our first ten cruises, my husband and I did the large table thing, meeting new people, making polite conversation with strangers we would never see again, etc.

On our last cruise, we opted for a table for two just as if we were at a restaurant at home, and we enjoyed it much more.

On our last cruise, we had a group of 9 and were seated at a table for 11 with another couple. I felt bad for them because we all knew each other. We included them in our conversations and they stayed all week. I guess we didn't do too bad. I prefer a table for 6 because it is easier to communicate.

Archived