Under 21 drinking

Many moons ago individual states set the drinking age in the US, Then the Feds changed it to 18 for all states and the children went out and began killing themselves and others with irresponsible drinking and driving. So the feds changed it to 21. Privileges can be abused and lost as was this age thingy.

On board ship they can't drive drunk but they can and do fall overboard doing dumb things. If one "needs" an adult beverage before they are of legal age one might consider that to be a problem in the making.

before you accuse people of "being problems in the making" - remember that in other countries 18yrs IS an adult and it is quite acceptable for them to drink in these countries in moderation in the same way as is it in the USA at 21yrs.

Edited by fragilek

Many moons ago individual states set the drinking age in the US, Then the Feds changed it to 18 for all states and the children went out and began killing themselves and others with irresponsible drinking and driving. So the feds changed it to 21. Privileges can be abused and lost as was this age thingy.

The 'Feds' didn't change anything.

Each state changed their own drinking laws. Before 1983 many states had different drinking laws. Some were 18, some 19, some 21 and some states had different laws for beer, wine and hard liquor.

Congress threatened to withhold Federal funding for highways unless all states changed their drinking laws to a uniform 21 years old.

On board ship they can't drive drunk but they can and do fall overboard doing dumb things. If one "needs" an adult beverage before they are of legal age one might consider that to be a problem in the making.

People can do dumb things regardless of age and their level of intoxication.

They punch the cards twice to show that they aren't allowed to have any alcohol at all.

Last summer on the Oasis our 20y/o DD's seapass card had the background of a group of kids. So you could immediately see that she was underage without even looking for a hole punch.

We were in a suite and the lounge would not serve her.

They stuck by the rules.

So, the two carryons bottles of wine that we were permitted to bring on board, she squandered to enjoy.

Now I am not naive, and I know some of her friends did purchase some drinks for her.

This year she is 21 and cannot wait to have a REAL adult sea pass card.

Safe travel.s

The vast majority of people I read about "falling" overboard are over 21.

What if one only "wants" an adult beverage before they are 21?

Would there no longer be a problem in the making?

I think it is ridiculous that many jurisdictions allow you to vote for your prime minister/president at 18 but not vote until they're a few years older.

I think it's funny that some people think the legal age for one thing should have any bearing on the legal age for another thing. Lots of things have different age cut-offs for varying reasons. There's really no logical reason that all things like drinking, serving in the military, driving, legal consent, voting, etc. should be allowed at the same age.

Edited by Paul65

What I don't understand is you can fight and die for your country at 18 but god forbid that same person wants to enjoy a drink on a cruise

Agreed . . . when I was 18, the drinking age was . . . 18. A responsible 18 year old. No drinking and driving. The year I turned 21, the drinking age changed. I feel as long as you're responsible, it should be a problem. I have an 18 year old daughter who asked if she would be allowed to have a drink when we sail. I will allow it while in port.

When we sailed from Rome last year, we had to purchase the drink package for my son on board after we already received his sea pass card. We were not allowed to purchase the package ahead of time online.

My son had trouble getting drinks at the bars - he didn't get any on his first few tries. When we went to customer service we found out that they issued him a juvenile sea pass card because he was 19. The bars would refuse to serve just by seeing that type of card. They gave him an adult sea pass card and the drink package finally worked.

The drinking age is 21 in the US, but RC policy is that if the ship starts and ends the voyage in a European country then 18 is the drinking age. A relief to my son as our drinking age in Ontario Canada is 19.

Just ensure they get the correct card. :D

The waiver only applies to beer and wine anyway..not mixed drinks.

Im glad RCI is changing the policy also, I think 'kids' should not be allowed to drink...JMO.

Luckily...that way you wont be providing alcohol to a minor, like you apperarenty did on this cruise

Good grief.. Get over it.. "kids" are under 18.. Even by legal definition. Lighten up. They are adults. Just not of drinking age in the US. Most other places in the world they would have been just fine.

The 'Feds' didn't change anything.

Each state changed their own drinking laws. Before 1983 many states had different drinking laws. Some were 18, some 19, some 21 and some states had different laws for beer, wine and hard liquor.

Congress threatened to withhold Federal funding for highways unless all states changed their drinking laws to a uniform 21 years old.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Thank you for clearing this up. And to add to it, Congress did so as Insurance lobbyists bought & paid for change. Congress delivered.

The reason why you can't drink until you reach age 21 in the states is because your moms got MADD and when mom's get MADD, the politicians have to listen.

Politicians listening? Now there is a novel concept. I doubt it will catch on though.