How can I request age specific tablemates?

On our very first cruise, the cruiseline matched parents our age with a child his age as tablemates. We all got along famously and even did excursions together. Since then, our tablemates have been total mis-matches. Last year, we were two parents with 12 and 16 year olds but were matched with 4 single women aged 50+! Dinner conversation was dull, to say the least.

We very much look forward to meeting new people and like to have other kids of similar age to our kids at dinner. Table mates can make or break our dinner experience!

I read some time ago that tablemates are assigned the week before the cruise by a staff member onboard. If so, any suggestions on how to request properly paired tablemates in terms of ages?

~Karen

I would first check with my TA and have them contact the cruise line.

If they come back with a no-go answer, I would contact RCI myself.

Final option is to wait for the first night. If your table has no one for the children to interact with, get with the Maitre d' on your way out that same evening. Explain the situation.

Charlie

There aren't any guarantees it will happen, but RCCL or your TA can ask to have a note added to your reservation with specific dining requests. My FIL had difficulty walking long distances, so we requested a table closer to the doors and always received it without any problems. I would think a dining mate request could be handled similarly. If you get onboard and don't find your dining companions to your liking, ask to move. They probably aren't enjoying it any more than you are.

Hi, I'm a single woman in my 50's. I was assigned a table that had a family of six including a "darling" 2 yr old who run constantly between the family members that first night. I requested a table change that night. I ended up at a table with a man and wife celebrating 50 years, their daughter who was a widow too and two other widows in their 60's. we had great fun together. We even ended up on an excursion together once by accident (we had not planned but talked about going on this excursion the night before).

I know what you mean when you said that the table was boring with 50+ at the table. I would find it boring and not entertaining to be stuck with children. I had mine and I love my grandchildren but I want adult conversation that we do not have to consider that a 12 or 4 yr old is sitting next to me.

Thanks for the advice! Tomorrow, I'll contact my TA and RCCL and just hope we 'get lucky'.

BTW, hope I didn't offend you CaptData! I've been a widow too since my early 30's so I have always enjoyed talking to other young widows like you. The 50+ year old women last year were great to me but several of them were school teachers and school was the LAST thing my kids want to talk about on vacation!

I might have been the one to post previously about the timing for table assignments. It was explained to me on board ship once. They "open" additional dining assignments every few weeks as the bookings come in, and shuffle people around.

Yes, I would recommend you have your TA contact the dining coordinator at RCCL, and then again just before your cruise to confirm.

Lots and lots of table hopping goes on the first two nights of a cruise, and the dining staff expect this to happen.

What I don't know is if the dining staff know during the first day of the cruise what the ages, etc. are for each table. We frequently change our table assignment, because we like a table for two, and the info they have during those changes are basically cabin number and table number. Maybe someone else will read this thread who knows if the ages, etc. are available on the printout, but I don't think so.

So, ask for a change after dinner the first night if it's not what you want. Just talked to the head waiter on your way out the door. They want you to enjoy the dining room experience, and will do everything they can to help you. Sometimes, however, it takes a few days to juggle it all around.

You might want to make sure you tip your dining staff, also, since your tips will go to the new table, unless you pay through your SeaPass account. The computer keeps track of who was assigned to you if you change.

On AOS, we went to see the maitre'd immediately upon boarding to change our dinner time. In re-assigning us, he brought up the table arrangements on the computer, which had all the demographic info about the people seat at each table: ages, languages spoken, where they were from, etc. And he proceeded to choose another family of 4 that was approx the same make-up as ours. It worked out wonderfully!

So, I'd suggest seeing the maitre-d upon boarding and finding out "who" you are seated with right from the start.

Hi, I'm a single woman in my 50's. I was assigned a table that had a family of six including a "darling" 2 yr old who run constantly between the family members that first night. I requested a table change that night. I ended up at a table with a man and wife celebrating 50 years, their daughter who was a widow too and two other widows in their 60's. we had great fun together. We even ended up on an excursion together once by accident (we had not planned but talked about going on this excursion the night before).

I know what you mean when you said that the table was boring with 50+ at the table. I would find it boring and not entertaining to be stuck with children. I had mine and I love my grandchildren but I want adult conversation that we do not have to consider that a 12 or 4 yr old is sitting next to me.

We have always been seated with people around our age. I do not think that I could handle a table with young children.

On AOS, we went to see the maitre'd immediately upon boarding to change our dinner time. In re-assigning us, he brought up the table arrangements on the computer, which had all the demographic info about the people seat at each table: ages, languages spoken, where they were from, etc. And he proceeded to choose another family of 4 that was approx the same make-up as ours. It worked out wonderfully!

So, I'd suggest seeing the maitre-d upon boarding and finding out "who" you are seated with right from the start.

Yes!! This is the best way to make sure.

I couldn't remember if they used the computer when we change our table assignment, because all we need is the seating chart to find a table for two.

They do try to match folks demographically, but it doesn't always work out. RCCL doesn't like you to contact them directly if you booked via a TA, but ask your TA to put a note in the reservation. As soon as you get on board, go to the Maitre'D and ask him to look at the demographics of who you are seated with. I've found that notes/reservationLinks put into your reservation aren't honored at a high rate.

They do try to match folks demographically, but it doesn't always work out. RCCL doesn't like you to contact them directly if you booked via a TA, but ask your TA to put a note in the reservation. As soon as you get on board, go to the Maitre'D and ask him to look at the demographics of who you are seated with. I've found that notes/reservationLinks put into your reservation aren't honored at a high rate.

We've found this to be true, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, indeed, the list of passengers includes each persons age, stateroom, stateroom grade, and country of citizenship.

Leslie

Does anyone know if they look at the Stateroom grade when assigning tables - perhaps if a couple from the Royal Suite were sitting with people who were in an inside on Deck 2 then the conversation could be a bit tense :D :D

Does anyone know if they look at the Stateroom grade when assigning tables - perhaps if a couple from the Royal Suite were sitting with people who were in an inside on Deck 2 then the conversation could be a bit tense :D :D

Like on the Titanic? :eek:

And because others do not like getting stuck with kids, we ask for a table for 4. I do this out of respect for the other people. We do late seating and our kids are 10 and 11. If there were ways to get us with another family with similar aged kids we would jump on that. We were told there was not. So to not ruin someone elses vacation by having a table with 2 younger kids, we do a single table. I love lunch where I go eat in the dining room to enjoy the conversation with other adults.

:)

We are definitely “inside cabin” people (can’t stand the light when sleeping in) and for the most part enjoyed the pairing of tablemates. I guess the Royal Suite folks are missing out if they don’t interact with us.

We have been invited to dine with Captains on several occasions. I think Tennessee trailer trash amuses them!

:cool:

I hate asking them to do anything in particular. I want to be surprised. I'm also afraid I might not get the "right" wait staff who I might have loved if I ask for specific seating arrangements.

First cruise was a table for 4 for just our family.

Carnival put us with a real interesting match that we enjoyed and brought some friends for my youngest daughter.

Third we sat with our 2 adult traveling companions.

Fourth we had the most interesting assortment of people with me having the only 2 kids. There was a single newly divorced man. And a couple of older people of a different race. He retired from the airforce as a pilot and she a former nurse turned lawyer. You'd think we'd have nothing in common but it was actually great since we all took interest in each other. My teen girls were quiet though. :)

Then there was the last cruise. Odd. They didn't come but once. Barely spoke English. Had a noisey baby throwing all the sugar packets, utensils and food on the floor. A little uncomfortable but we tried to understand some things they said. That's the time I made a request....large table...in hopes of having a lot of people to talk to.

Hence, I won't make any requests again. I'll go for the luck of the draw. And if it seems that bad, I'll ask to change it...but only if I haven't taken an instant liking to my wait staff.

Archived