Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

I had posted to you earlier about your jelly but I think it got by your notice.

Since you said Jam I take it the seeds were still in it? Did you buy it in one of the shops at ISP or did you go down town and purchase it there? If I know this, then I will be able to figure out who made it.

I am almost through with jams and jellies, now waiting for lingnonberries,grey currants (shaax) and the high and low bush cranberries to further ripen up, I intend to do a little experimenting with these this year.

As soon as I find out the location I will let you know what I find out or put you directly in touch with them

Have a great day!

Chookenshaa (LIsa)

I'm glad Lonestar piped in. I thought maybe I had been chewing fireweek when I was there and forgot some of that!!!! I'm not sure we got to talk to you when we were there or if you were busy? I think we saw you just before we left, after talking to Koo Hook on the boat, or after dancing. You sure have been putting in supplies for the winter. Its amazing how much you can be self sufficient of you put your mind to it. That is how I feel when we are eating our tomatos, zukini, peppers, etc on most days in summer.

I think we got to visit for a short time while you were waiting to board for the ride back to the ship.

I have a pretty nice garden this year, the only things I cannot grow here is sweet corn and my all time favorite, garden tomatoes. Our soil just does not stay warm enough long enough for them. I can grow tomatoes in a hot house but as you know it is not the same. I have old memories of being in the garden and reaching down and picking a fresh ripe tomatoe warm from the sun and standing there eating it with the juice running down my hands. And it is just a memory, lol. I have gotten some patio tomatoe plants to do well enough to get a few off of each plant. So whenever visitors come up here and ask me what they should bring of course the answer is always, GARDEN TOMATOES!!!!

My 18 year old was bring me a whole back pack full of them up last summer, she had a plane delay and got trapped in Seattle, WA for almost 24 hours. Tired, scared, she forgot about her mom's precious cargo on board her backpack and sat down in a chair with her pack on. So when she finally got here I received fresh tomato juice. lol

I just want to let everyone know that has been affected by hurricane Katrina that my healing thoughts and blessings of strength are going out to you. We have one of our EMS squad and one of our clinic staff that is on their way down there today to render aid.

• 2 weeks later...

No Lisa we didn't get one drop of rain fron Ophelia. We did experience a bit of her wind and some of the clouds from the outer bands of the storm. It always amazes me when we feel the effects when a storm brushes the coast and we're about 3-4 hours inland from the areas affected!

Hope you had a wonderful time with your daughter! It's special to spend that quality one-on-one time with them! How old is she? I have three daughters and they are 26; 28 and 30-it's great now that they've grown. I seem to get smarter and smarter each year they grow older and they even ask Mama for advice now and then! I was at my all time 'dumbest' when they were about 16!;)

I'm glad someone notified the moderater...let's hope it's removed quickly!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Sharon

• 4 months later...

Now that we are getting closer to our upcoming trips to Hoonah/Icy Strait it would be great hearing from you all again!

Koo Hoo/Howard, Don and I are coming back to your beautiful 'little slice of heaven' in May! We simply didn't get enough last May! Hope your coaching is going well! Please check in...we miss you!

Chookenshaa/Lisa, how are you doing. How is your winter so far? How many hours of daylight are you experiencing right now?

Sharon from Charlotte

Good to hear that you didn't get enough of our beautiful land the first time. Look forward to seeing you. Right now we are up to 7 hours and 39 minutes of daylight a day. Yaaayyy!!! and gaining four minutes a day. This winter had been pretty snowless for the most part except for the past week, it is starting to really build up a little at a time over the past week. It's supposed to dump a foot tomorrow and then snow every day for the rest of the week. We have got off to easy this year and I knew it was bound to catch up with us. But this is good, we purchased new sleds this winter and really haven't had the opportunity to use them this year. We have been looking forward to latenite sledding parties.

take care,

lisa

Hi Lisa: I was also at Icy Sstrait Point this past June and DH and I got meet with Koo Hook who we had chit-chatted on this thread for about 3 months. It was a very memorable time in Icy Sstrait Point besides meeting him that place is fantastic. Do you see him or how is he doing and if he will come back to this thread again. It is also nice talking to you to.

Marilyn

Thanks so much Lisa for checking in! Glad you will now be able to use your sleds! Since we live in Charlotte NC, snow is a real holiday. If it snows just an inch or two schools will be closed from a day or so or if there's ice, up to a week! Since we're originally from Rochester, NY, we get a real kick out of 'snow holiday's' in the South!

Don and I would love to meet you when we come on May 25th! I can't remember if you work with the tourists from the ships?

Enjoy your snow!

Sharon

Hi Lisa, glad to hear you are well. I was also wondering about Howard. Is he still heavy into basketball, or is he shunning these boards? Thought he might have time to at least say hi or check in. Take care and I hope the winter doesn't end with big bang and leave you all buried.

Jodi,

Here's a link to info about costs. It's the ISP site:

http://www.icystraitpoint.com/excursions_fishing.html

Remember that if you do well, it could cost as much to process and ship the fish as it does to catch them. Anymore, to Alaska, I practice catch & release (they'll be that much bigger for you on your next trip to Alaska ;) )

-Monte

Hi! We will be in ICP on August 2. I am interested in learning more about what we can do there. I am a paraplegic and use a wheelchair for mobility. I am adventurous, I have been zipling in Costa Rica (more challenging then I think I would like to repeat), I have gone to Misty Fjords with Michelle of Island Wings and I have gone dog sledding in Juneau. I am traveling with 12 other family and friends including DH and DD (10).

I would also like getting know the people on this thread as I have thouroly enjoyed reading the posts (I have not read them all but I read a page or two each time I have a chance.

Thanks

Jean

Thanks Lisa for keeping us posted about icy Strait and Koo Hook(Howard) It was such a pleasure to meet him and in fact all of the people who work there and greeted us when we arrived was most memorable. Thank you again.

marilyn

John Q

Howard has been traveling since the season ended for us this fall and is scheduled to be back sometime this month I think. So do not fret he will be back soon and give everyone updates.

Thanks Lisa for the update! How has your weather been lately? Much more snow??? How many hours of sunlight do you have right now? Great hearing from you and just know...we're looking forward to our time in Hoonah this May!

Sharon

Hi to all who have been on this thread over the past 12 months. It was interesting to read it all this evening. We will be at Icy Strait Point from approx 8am to 6 pm on May 15th so would like to know what is best at this time of year re animal sightings... whale sightings etc and

which trips should we consider. We are coming from Australia so rely on these boards a lot to research information. We would prefer not to book via the cruise ship but have found much less detail about tours from ISP compared to searches for all other stops. Hope you can provide some help thanks ann

I was in ISP in the first season in early Sept. Some things may have changed, but for the most part, there are not a lot of independent tour providers. The who port operation there is tribal run and there are only 800 residents, many of which work for org on ship days. There are fishing boats that do charters or whalewatching that are available. There may now be a few independent guides that will hire out vehicle and take you around island, but not sure. I think you will be too early for the bear viewing tour, but the ship or private whalewatching should be ok. The city tours, nature walks, native dancing and talks are probably unchanged. With more ships coming in now, I think there may be or soon will be other independents getting started.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I just found this sight. I will be in Icy Strait Point on August 1st. Sailing on RCCL Vision of the Seas. I'm interested in a shore excursion. The ones offered by RCCL didn't immediately peak the interest of our group. (12 adults). I think we'll probably split up. In your opinions, what is the best excursion at this port?

Any info will help. Thanks so much.

Hi Budget Queen

I checked their website and they appear to cater to a hunting type of group more than wildlife watching. Could you elaborate on your trip with them?

They are entirely flexable on your touring. I spent the day with Keith, showed me the area, went hiking, berry picking, and bear watching. Got an in depth on Hoonah way of life. :)

Archived