FLL - Hyatt Pier 66 opinions

Conanc

Hi,

We're looking for a pre-cruise hotel in FLL and were considering the Hyatt Pier 66. The reviews on trip advisor aren't so great but I understand the hotel has now been renovated. Can anyone that has stayed there recently comment on the hotel, grounds, room categories, etc? We'd probably be looking at staying in the least expensive garden rooms....have these been renovated? Is the $12 resort fee worthwhile for this resort?

Thank you!

It's an OK hotel - nothing special about the rooms (we stayed in the garden). The grounds are beautiful as is the pool area - are you staying long enough to enjoy that area? You will have to walk a long way to get to the garden rooms. Personally, I would say the hotel is overpriced. I would probably only stay there again if I were able to get a really good deal (under $100) through Priceline or similar site As for the resort fee, again, will you be there long enough to enjoy the facilities?

I've stayed there numerous times and I like the hotel very much. I've gotten it on priceline before as well. I have requested a tower room and received it subject to availability and been very pleased. It is no longer a Hyatt though in case you were going to redeem points for your stay. I've always had a balcony room which is great. I've stayed at several other local hotels near by but I like Pier 66 the best.

I've stayed at the Hyatt multiple times along with several other hotels for our pre-cruises. I prefer the Lago Mar Resort. It's in a more secluded area and has a very nice beach area. In fact, you can see the cruise ships as they leave/return to the port. You might want to do research on Lago Mar.

Keith

Bequia,

It looks like you are from the FLL area and are the resident expert. :) Can you comment on the questions in my first post regarding the Pier 66? Also, I read somewhere else that the 2 story gardenview rooms are not that safe and that there was an incident on the property last spring. Did you hear anything about that? I know that can happen anywhere at anytime, so I wouldn't necessarily base staying there or not on an isolated incident. More than likely we would be in the least expensive room category here so if there are no upgrades to be had, I'd say we could very well end up in the gardenview rooms.

A few years ago we stayed in FLL pre and post cruise. We got bumped from the Embassy Suites pre-cruise and ended up at the Sheraton Yankee Trader. We stayed at the Marriott Marina post-cruise that same year, and I know it has changed hands. We loved the location and would consider this hotel again as well.

Any info provided would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you!

We stayed at the Pier 66 in May. We payed $130.00 on priceline. I would not stay there unless it was thru priceline. They refused to upgrade us. We had one of the older rooms. We stayed at the Amerisuites last year and I actully perferred that for a pre or post cruise stay.

We stayed at the Pier 66 in May. We payed $130.00 on priceline. I would not stay there unless it was thru priceline. They refused to upgrade us. We had one of the older rooms. We stayed at the Amerisuites last year and I actully perferred that for a pre or post cruise stay.

I agree with gail. We would only stay at the Hyatt Pier 66 if I got it through priceline for >$120. We've stayed there twice, no upgrades. We were in one of the lanai rooms -- very worn, airconditioner sounded like a small aircraft taxiing around the room, musty, huge gaps in the door..,

Extra charges for parking, resort fee and internet business center. You could drop $40 just on a basic breakfast for two.

It's getting very difficult to find a deal on 17th street hotels.

Enjoy!

Kel

Bequia, Can you comment on the questions in my first post regarding the Pier 66? Also, I read somewhere else that the 2 story gardenview rooms are not that safe and that there was an incident on the property last spring. Did you hear anything about that? We stayed at the Marriott Marina post-cruise that same year, and I know it has changed hands. We loved the location and would consider this hotel again as well. Any info provided would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Conanc, I'm a big fan of this property. It's my favorite weekend getaway spot staying there 3-4 times a year whenever I can get a good deal on PL. The property recently went thru a multi million dollar renovation. All of the Lanai rooms (garden units) have been renovated. They all have plasma tv's, marble baths, new rugs, beds and furniture. The tower is in the process of being renovated as we speak. Having stayed in both, I prefer the Lanai rooms. I like the close proximity to the pool, tiki bar, hot tub and the intracoastal. Don't get me wrong, the tower with the wonderful views is nice too, I don't consider it an upgrade though. I do not know of the "incident" you are referring. I've always felt safe on this property but regardless of where I stay I'm always aware of my surroundings. Yes, the Marriott has changed hands. It was purchased by the owners of the Hyatt Pier 66. They also own Bahia Mar, Extended Stay America, LaQuinta, Wellesley Inn and Suites and a number of other hotel chains. Living in Ft Lauderdale is living in paradise, great beaches, gourgeous weather day in, day out. When I stay at the Hyatt and I feel like I'm staying at a resort in the caribbean. When I'm sitting at the pool sipping a mojito it feels like I'm hanging out in the Caymans or the Grenadines, not FLL. Not many hotels give me that same feeling. That's just my opinion, I'll be staying there again as soon as PL gives me a great rate. ;)

Conanc, I'm a big fan of this property. It's my favorite weekend getaway spot staying there 3-4 times a year whenever I can get a good deal on PL. The property recently went thru a multi million dollar renovation. All of the Lanai rooms (garden units) have been renovated. They all have plasma tv's, marble baths, new rugs, beds and furniture. The tower is in the process of being renovated as we speak. Having stayed in both, I prefer the Lanai rooms. I like the close proximity to the pool, tiki bar, hot tub and the intracoastal. Don't get me wrong, the tower with the wonderful views is nice too, I don't consider it an upgrade though. I do not know of the "incident" you are referring. I've always felt safe on this property but regardless of where I stay I'm always aware of my surroundings. Yes, the Marriott has changed hands. It was purchased by the owners of the Hyatt Pier 66. They also own Bahia Mar, Extended Stay America, LaQuinta, Wellesley Inn and Suites and a number of other hotel chains. Living in Ft Lauderdale is living in paradise, great beaches, gourgeous weather day in, day out. When I stay at the Hyatt and I feel like I'm staying at a resort in the caribbean. When I'm sitting at the pool sipping a mojito it feels like I'm hanging out in the Caymans or the Grenadines, not FLL. Not many hotels give me that same feeling. That's just my opinion, I'll be staying there again as soon as PL gives me a great rate. ;)

Hi Bequia,

We are booked for two days prior to our cruise. I think we are probably paying too much as we did not go through Priceline, but we did it anyway.

The guy talked us into a Tower room. Hope that isn't a mistake.

We always stayed at the Embassy, but that was just for one day. I like the idea of a nice pool and beautiful scenery if I am staying more than one night.

Is there a liquor store across the street? Anything closer than Publix?

The idea of sitting by the pool drinking a Mojito sealed the deal...I am so glad they make them...my fav drink!

Sure appreciate all your advise....You should be a TA.....

Thanks!

The Hyatt pier 66 was one of the best and most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in, and I do not stay in cheap hotels. The beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept on, and we were in the towers with a balcony.. I suddenly awoke on my own at 6:15 AM and while lying in bed, I glanced out the balcony window to see the enchantment right before my eyes.. I said KIDS! look the ship is coming in, and from our balcony we enjoyed watching the ship come in and dock.. there is a 360 degree panoramic view on the top level to see all around ft lauderdale and the port... we paid 175 to stay and was well worth it.. will do it again in May of next year... VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.. A+++ rating from our family.

Edited to add the pool is spectacular with also a 40 person hot tub on the grounds... OH so nice..

For BearySweet2Cruise,

I would be interested in knowing how you got to the top level of Pier 66. From the information that I have received most recently from Hyatt, the Pier Top Lounge area is now a private function room and is not open to the public. From my past stays at Pier 66, when that area was not open, the elevator was programed so that it would not go to the top floor.

I have always stayed at Pier 66 when I have been in the Fort Lauderdale area, and would like to do so again. But, their closing of the Pier Top Lounge is a deal-breaker for me.

I would appreciate knowing if the Lounge is now open, based upon your experience. Thanks for the information.

For BearySweet2Cruise,

I would be interested in knowing how you got to the top level of Pier 66. From the information that I have received most recently from Hyatt, the Pier Top Lounge area is now a private function room and is not open to the public. From my past stays at Pier 66, when that area was not open, the elevator was programed so that it would not go to the top floor.

I have always stayed at Pier 66 when I have been in the Fort Lauderdale area, and would like to do so again. But, their closing of the Pier Top Lounge is a deal-breaker for me.

I would appreciate knowing if the Lounge is now open, based upon your experience. Thanks for the information.

I guess if there is a private function you might not get there... we just pressed the long bar on the elevator that said private function and there we were.. or go to the floor below, and walk up one level, we visited the pier top several times on our stay. Hope you can as well, we loved the view.

I guess if there is a private function you might not get there... we just pressed the long bar on the elevator that said private function and there we were.. or go to the floor below, and walk up one level, we visited the pier top several times on our stay. Hope you can as well, we loved the view.

Thank you very much for the information! I assumed that the management would lock up the area when it was not being used for a function.

We stayed at the Pier once (through PL) and it was a good hotel. They put us in the very back corner (a hike) and would not upgrade us but the room was clean, in good shape and quiet. I would stay there again . . .

Is anyone trying for spring - April 1 - 2. We didn't have a problem getting a hotel pre-cruise . . . got the Renaissance through Hotwire for $112. Post- cruise, forget it. We have booked the Renaissance through Princess @ $109 PP +tax (just in case) but that is looking like a steal. I have search for both the downtown and beach areas for either a 4 or 3 * and pretty much nothing for under $225. I do use priceline a lot and have never had so much trouble . . . currently up to $150 (for 3 or 4* in those areas) and nothing.

Is it spring break? Is it too early? Too late?

We have booked the Renaissance through Princess @ $109 PP +tax (just in case) but that is looking like a steal.

How do you book through Princess? And, did you actually mean $109 per person plus tax - or is this $109 for the night?

We will be doing a Princess cruise next April. I was not aware that Hotel could be booked through the cruise line.

Thanks in advance for any information.:) :)

We stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 last year for a night after disembarking from Century. We booked a tower room after reading a number of reviews on TripAdvisor which all recommended the Tower Rooms. We absolutely loved the room which was very large and well furnished, and totally loved the huge huge triangular balcony. Our view was incredible including the inland waterway and even the Ocean.

We were able to take the water taxi there and go to the River Walk with all of its restaurants and bustling yachts. We had cocktails on the top and watched both Century and a M-class vessel [can't remember which] depart.

A couple of draw backs both the main restaurant and the pickup spot for the water taxi is a fair walk away. Our solution, the staff took us to them and picked us up in a golf cart. And a plus is that it is not far from FLL or Port Everglades.

We are booked there one night after disembarkation from our cruise on Silver Shadow this coming December. We only rebook hotels if our previous experience was good.

How do you book through Princess? And, did you actually mean $109 per person plus tax - or is this $109 for the night?

We will be doing a Princess cruise next April. I was not aware that Hotel could be booked through the cruise line.

Thanks in advance for any information.:) :)

Found the answer myself - Just had to go to the Princess Web Site.:p

We were there in April and had a tower room that was OK. The breakfast menu is very $$$$. But the real drawback, in our opinion, is the 17th street drawbridge. If you are coming from the airport in a taxi and the bridge is up, the meter keeps on ticking. We spent $7.50+ just waiting and our 5 minute taxi ride ended up costing us $20 + tip, so we will never stay on that side of the river/waterway again. The view from the room was great!

Archived