Topless sun bathing?

Voc6

The only time it was a problem was on Costa and there was literally a sea of breasts and I didn't make a big deal out of it but please- an eight year old does notice these things and he (not I) was embarrassed. Other people complained (not I) and they asked people not to do it.

So sorry I am only speaking for myself- shouldn't generalize. In any event, I haven't run into this issue on cruises- except once so it is a moot point.

Believe me, I think the beach story is funny!

Can I get the phone number or the web address for Costa please? I feel a sudden urge to cruise Costa.

Yeah...I never understood that. Like if a husband is caught cheating and the wife beats up the other woman. Just doesn't make sense to me...misplaced anger.

There's a fine line between disrepctful ogling and sneaking a peak IMO. Frankly, I would be concerned if my DH didn't turn his head a nice pair, know what I mean?

If my DH ever stops looking, I'll know for sure that he's dead! Actually, if he misses a 'nice pair,' I point them out to him. :)

But when you leave the country, you have to tolerate the cultures of where you are, not where you are from. Toplessness and nudity is the norm in the caribbean. If it offends you so much, stay home and go to American beaches where you have the right to complain about it.

I NEVER USED THE WORD OFFENDED!!!

I'm not really sure what point you're making. Who has a problem with modesty? I'm quite modest myself. In American society, it is not the norm to see topless sunbathing and most places here prohibit it. But when I go into a foreign environment or a cruise ship that caters to clients of different nationalities that has a topless deck, I have to be prepared to accept that our cultural norms (I don't see it as a MORAL issue) aren't necessarily going to rule the day. If you prepare your kids for this and don't make a big deal out it, they don't either. After a few minutes of "whoa," they seem to deal with it a lot better than many adults do. It really isn't going to traumatize them or cause them to run out and discard all the values their families/societies have impressed upon them.

At any rate, as it pertains to cruise ships, most topless sunbathing is confined to a private area, so the discomfort of children is really not an issue. As for beaches cruise ships visit, that is another story, but cruise lines are pretty good about telling us which beaches allow topless or nude sunbathing, so rarely should this be a surprise. If I was that uptight about seeing naked breasts, I wouldn't go to a topless beach.

I never said anyone has a problem with modesty???? I said I was modest. I like the way you twist things around, very interesting. Not making a point, just making a statement!!! Could you just be TOLERANT of my opinion and stop reading into what I said and analyzing it to death! You've drawn some interesting conclusion about me and with that jumped to some assumptions that are off base. I never went into details about anything. Just made some blanket statements. Mainly I was lashing out on those that are one-way tolerant. Feel free to keep ranting on about this...have fun with that. As for me, time to move on to another thread!!!!

This thread just gets funnier and funnier!:D All this fuss for a little bare skin.......it's only muscle, fat and tissue folks......but please, keep it up....LMAO:D

I agree, seamama. Mountains out of molehills, eh?

It's amusing to me how OUTRAGED some people can get over what total strangers on a message board have to say and feel the need to "lash out" at others whose opinion differs. I personally like disagreement if handled civilly. Maybe the insomniac in me should stick to the "what have I forgotten to pack" and "tell me I chose the right ship" threads, but they're just not as fun to read.:)

There was a breastfeeding magazine that recently had a cover photo of a baby breastfeeding from a side view (no nipple or areola showing) and there was absolute rage and disgust expressed over it. The magazine received threats over that cover photo. It's just amazing to me the passions that are ignited over the human breast. I wonder if the folks making threats over this magazine cover have ever been to a museum. They'd probably have to call the paramedics!

I ran this question by my 7 year old:

"If we were on a cruise, and you saw a lady lying by the pool without a top, what would you say?"

His reply was priceless:

"What would I SAY? I would say nothing because those are her private parts and if she wants to have them out then it is her business. Some ladies are like that Mom."

Oh my...he never ceases to make me laugh. I did not expect that reply.

No sense making big boobs out of ourselves on this subject.:D

When God created Woman she had three breasts. Eve complained that there was no bra made for three and her back always hurt. And God listened to her and took away her third boob and created man. And men have been boobs ever since.

There was a breastfeeding magazine that recently had a cover photo of a baby breastfeeding from a side view (no nipple or areola showing) and there was absolute rage and disgust expressed over it. The magazine received threats over that cover photo.

Breastfeeding Cover Causes Controversy

from

http://www.rachelstavern.com/?p=154

It seems that about 1/4 of the readers of this magazine were offended by this cover.

from

http://www.amptoons.com/blog/archives/2006/08/05/breast-feeding-cover-causes-controversy/

I'm a 29 year old female and totally think this is an inappropriate behavior while cruising. I'm sure once your at port and you go to the beaches you can find a place to sunbath naked. The reason why I travel on princess is because it is a classy cruise line! If I ever come across a half naked women sun bather on a princess ship where I am. . .I will say something to the women and someone on the ship that has authority.

Nothing to do with age I would say look its more count

I dont mind top less only if she is good - good looking :eek: (O! Yes I am female married with kid)))):::D

Interestingly enough, my experiences with my kids have been this;

My daughters found it very disconcerting esp when there was a family group- ie mom, dad and teen girls (the females being topless, dad snapping away family pictures). Adult women were OK.

This was during a Med cruise when we hit a few beaches.

On the other hand, my son was eager to learn about different cultural norms.

If you are referring to my previous post, you'll be very surprised to know that I am a woman. ( Just love the vacation movies so I picked the name, not sure many would recognize Ellen Griswald, so I picked Clarkk). Anyway, I am an American women and do NOT find it offensive. Maybe what you find offensive is when your male partner enjoys it too much. Not sure I could did it myself, but it doesn't bother me at all if other do. So, please, don't speak for all American women. And, really, most young children don't even notice, unless the adults around them make a big deal about.

(Raising hand) We're big Vacation movie fans, too! My screen name actually came about because of the (tone of) those movies. When we travel with our kids, it's almost inevitable that some bickering goes on. Our fav scenes are from the train in Europe and in the car just before getting to Wally World. We started calling ourselves the Griswolds, to lighten up those moments, it eventually ended up being the Happy K's (the first letter of our last name).

That I didn't write it correctly when registering my name is my own fault. I've requested a change from the board a couple of times, to no avail. Some people think I'm from Kansas!

I would love to see Cruise Vacation, by now Ellen and Clark must surely be granparents.

Christmas Eve is tradition in our house to watch, you guessed it, Christmas Vacation!

OK what is this thread about? Oh yeah, topless bathing. I wouldn't do it, I'd look more like Magda (There's Something About Mary) than Mary:eek:

I do not care if my husband looks at other womens bosoms, it's really not a big deal. I think I'd rather see the boobs than thong bottoms, yuck.

My mother's family is from England. Whenever my male cousins would come to visit- I would tell them that they could not wear their European style men's swimsuits to my neighborhood pool because American men wear short type swimsuits. They never minded because they didn't want to stand out as tourists . I for one also think that men look dorky in the form fitting European briefs. Somethings are left better to the imagination.

Archived