Topless sun bathing?

Voc6

I know Carnival has a special deck for this...I haven't heard anything about Princess though, so I'm assuming they don't. Does anyone know for sure?

All ships should allow a small deck for this - I hate wearing my strapless dress for formal night and seeing my bikini lines, guess I'll be doing the "untie and tie the neck around your back" deal. As long as everyone else on the ship will have tan lines as well! :)

Don't remember seeing topless sunbathing areas on Princess but I have seen them on other ships and they are usually at the top of the ship and really windy.

On the Costa Cruise line many European women were topless around the regular pool. In fact, they ran out of deck chairs and one woman was laying on a skylight above the formal dining room. You can imagine the surprize of the people eating lunch in their with breasts pressed against the glass. It was too funny and there was a formal announcement that there was no more topless sunbathing allowed. The men seemed very disappointed!

There is no topless deck like Carnival ships have. Some people that have balconies will lay out topless since no one can really see them. (I'm talking about the balconies that have a roof over them.)

My covered balcony on Emerald on the CB could be seen by anyone in the adjoining cabins peeking round the divider (and they DO) Karen

formal announcement that there was no more topless sunbathing allowed. The men seemed very disappointed!

What could the crew do. Put them in the brig. Do the same thing they do with chair hogs and kids in the hot tub?

Anarchy

2 a : absence or denial of any authority or established order b : absence of order

from

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/anarchy

There seem to be different rules for European cruises to satisfy the more open minded customs of the European customers on some lines. Royal Caribbean allows topless sunbathing on the the Sun Deck (one deck above the pool level) on European itineraries. There was even some of it going on during a repositioning transatlantic cruise coming back from Europe. Celebrity also allows it, even in the Caribbean.

Hi, When we were on the Island Princess in April there were a few woman topless sunbathing on the sun deck. No one from Princess spoke to them about it because they sunbathed this way the entire trip. They didn't do this in the sun area right around the pool where most of the children were so I guess this is why nothing was said. Most people didn't seem to mind as this is pretty common in Europe and some of the Caribbean beaches.

I'm a 29 year old female and totally think this is an inappropriate behavior while cruising. I'm sure once your at port and you go to the beaches you can find a place to sunbath naked. The reason why I travel on princess is because it is a classy cruise line! If I ever come across a half naked women sun bather on a princess ship where I am. . .I will say something to the women and someone on the ship that has authority.

I'm a 29 year old female and totally think this is an inappropriate behavior while cruising. I'm sure once your at port and you go to the beaches you can find a place to sunbath naked. The reason why I travel on princess is because it is a classy cruise line! If I ever come across a half naked women sun bather on a princess ship where I am. . .I will say something to the women and someone on the ship that has authority.

I guess you won't be traveling to Europe anytime soon then.

I hate wearing my strapless dress for formal night and seeing my bikini lines, guess I'll be doing the "untie and tie the neck around your back" deal. As long as everyone else on the ship will have tan lines as well! :)

Just watch out for guys like me lounging nearby and suddenly yelling "look at the whales over there". They jump up to see forgetting they are untied. :D

You don't have to look. How is somone sunbathing bothering you unless you are staring? Topless sunbathing has nothing to do with being or not be "classy". Sheesh:eek:

Spoken like a true man! We women don't really enjoy having half-dressed women around. Kind of makes us mad actually- especially when the men enjoy it so much!

I was on Southbeach on my honeymoon. My husband didn't want to go to the beach and get all sandy (we were getting on the ship in a few hours) but I insisted. We sit down on the largely deserted beach. Three attractive fully clothed women decided to lay a blanket down next to our beach chairs. They proceeded to take off everything but their thongs. All of a sudden I wanted to leave and he wanted to stay. I laugh now but at the time I wanted to kill them!

So sorry, women do find it offensive- at least in America.

You're a better woman than me! I used to say that until the European (flight attendents/ gorgeous types) women did a strip tease in front of my husband. I see why he liked it! I am single now and it probably wouldn't bother me as much but I can see why most married women on board wouldn't like it- plus my eight year old son was on a Costa cruise with topless sunbathing and he was really embarrassed. I don't frown on having a specific topless deck though.

Spoken like a true man! We women don't really enjoy having half-dressed women around. Kind of makes us mad actually- especially when the men enjoy it so much!

I was on Southbeach on my honeymoon. My husband didn't want to go to the beach and get all sandy (we were getting on the ship in a few hours) but I insisted. We sit down on the largely deserted beach. Three attractive fully clothed women decided to lay a blanket down next to our beach chairs. They proceeded to take off everything but their thongs. All of a sudden I wanted to leave and he wanted to stay. I laugh now but at the time I wanted to kill them!

So sorry, women do find it offensive- at least in America.

If you are referring to my previous post, you'll be very surprised to know that I am a woman. ( Just love the vacation movies so I picked the name, not sure many would recognize Ellen Griswald, so I picked Clarkk). Anyway, I am an American women and do NOT find it offensive. Maybe what you find offensive is when your male partner enjoys it too much. Not sure I could did it myself, but it doesn't bother me at all if other do. So, please, don't speak for all American women. And, really, most young children don't even notice, unless the adults around them make a big deal about.

The only time it was a problem was on Costa and there was literally a sea of breasts and I didn't make a big deal out of it but please- an eight year old does notice these things and he (not I) was embarrassed. Other people complained (not I) and they asked people not to do it.

So sorry I am only speaking for myself- shouldn't generalize. In any event, I haven't run into this issue on cruises- except once so it is a moot point.

Believe me, I think the beach story is funny!

Wow, I'm sorry. I didn't know I was asking such a heated question!

The reason I asked was because I am not one to sit around a crowded pool with families and such without a top on; I think that is disrespectful to people who are uncomfortable with that. But my question was whether or not there was a specific deck for this. To reach the topless deck on Carnival you have to walk up 4 flights of stairs to a secluded area that has numerous signs along the way that state that this is a topless area and no one under the age of 18 is permitted....you're not goign to just 'run into' someone topless. I wouldn't think you would go into a smoking lounge and complain that people were smoking, so why would you go to a topless deck and complain that people shouldn't be topless? The deck on the Carnival Legend could fit approx. 20 people - isn't there enough other room on the ship if you don't want to be there?

And as for bikini lines a little lower - yes they are! :) I would be in some trouble if my dress was that low. But, I hate when I have the "triangle top" kind of bathing suit and the go up and tie around your neck...when you wear a strapless dress you always see the 'tops' of the triangles, even it you try to tie the top around your back (if this makes any sense).

In terms of not being "classy"...I'm 23 and consider myself to dress pretty conservatively. Whether or not someone is comfortable with her body has nothing to do with being classy. Do you think it is 'unclassy' to change in a women's locker room? Just like a topless deck - if it bothers you, then don't go!

I forgot to mention...those who think the people that are topless shouldn't be...Interestingly, when on Carnival, there were many of the crew's "Singers and Dancers" on the topless deck!

It was Trump's "Apprentice Cruise" so needless to say, I was also able to meet the guys from the Apprentice on the deck....they are no dummies - they know where to hang out!! :)

Archived