Topless sun bathing?

Voc6

I think what a lot of people forget is that just because a cruise ship leaves from an American port, you're not traveling on a floating piece of the States. All ships leaving from the continental states are registered in others countries with a multi-cultural crew. Some of the cruise lines are not owned by US companies, either.

If I had a problem with topless sunbathing, which I don't, I'd rather choose a ship that had a specific location for it. The Carnival decks are screened and impossible to stumble upon.

While I don't have a problem with it, I would never actual sunbathe topless on a cruise ship. Why? People who gawk - we have a few of them on this thread alone. While I have no problem with my body, I do have a problem with other people getting "satisfaction" from it without my permission.

well said riggs..I appreciate your comment. And people like me happen to forget about this multicultural thing. I was telling my husband that someday I would like to go to the mediterannean (sp) but he gently reminded me that probably I wouldn't since the european style is very rampant there. I guess that I'll just stay in the area...:)

I was telling my husband that someday I would like to go to the mediterannean (sp) but he gently reminded me that probably I wouldn't since the european style is very rampant there.
I hope you don't take this amiss, but may I offer some unsolicited advice: If your low self-image would stop you travelling to a place you want to go to, just because there might be a topless woman in sight somewhere, then you might want to have a think about whether you could usefully address the issue. It sounds like that self-image problem could be capable of adversely affecting a number of areas in your life, and I'm sure that there's no need for that.

I hope you don't take this amiss, but may I offer some unsolicited advice: If your low self-image would stop you travelling to a place you want to go to, just because there might be a topless woman in sight somewhere, then you might want to have a think about whether you could usefully address the issue. It sounds like that self-image problem could be capable of adversely affecting a number of areas in your life, and I'm sure that there's no need for that.

Very delicately said, and I completely agree.

We only get one shot at life. I'd like to see as much as the world as I can since this is no dress rehearsal. Just MHO, no offense intended.

I am english and as i grew up there was no topless sunbathing to be seen at all, although people who visited the continent, would tell us that it was the norm there, after holidaying. We couldn't comprehend this, at this time and never believed it was something any of us would actually do. :confused:

When I was 30 years old, our family made our first ever journey together abroad (to Ibiza). Before setting off, I prepositioned my son on what he would possibly see, at 5 years old he was, fasinated at first, and then just took it in his stride. As he grew older and on the following years holidays, he became more interested in the ones which were covered up, as, as some people have already stated a good proportion of topless bathers are older or lager ladies, and were not worthy of his attention

I have on occasion gone topless myself, although only where I have seen other people do the same thing in order to feel comfortable or where i feel it is appropriate. So far i have never found anywhere I felt comfortable enough to do so on a cruise ship (will check out top decks though)

My son having been "exposed" to this has not left him scarred for life and he is now a well rounded, respectful 17 year old, with good relationships with girls,and women.

My daughter who is 21 years old, has no particular thoughts on the subject, although chooses not to do so herself as she is very fair skinned

Just because it's not what is the norm in one culture doesn't mean it's not acceptable. From the first time I heard about topless sunbathing, about 30 years ago, my country has embraced the idea more, and more, to the point where, although it doesn't happen on all beaches in England, it does happen, but is just not noticed as being out of the ordinary

I am english and as i grew up there was no topless sunbathing to be seen at all, although people who visited the continent, would tell us that it was the norm there, after holidaying. We couldn't comprehend this, at this time and never believed it was something any of us would actually do. :confused:

When I was 30 years old, our family made our first ever journey together abroad (to Ibiza). Before setting off, I prepositioned my son on what he would possibly see, at 5 years old he was, fasinated at first, and then just took it in his stride. As he grew older and on the following years holidays, he became more interested in the ones which were covered up, as, as some people have already stated a good proportion of topless bathers are older or lager ladies, and were not worthy of his attention

I have on occasion gone topless myself, although only where I have seen other people do the same thing in order to feel comfortable or where i feel it is appropriate. So far i have never found anywhere I felt comfortable enough to do so on a cruise ship (will check out top decks though)

My son having been "exposed" to this has not left him scarred for life and he is now a well rounded, respectful 17 year old, with good relationships with girls,and women.

My daughter who is 21 years old, has no particular thoughts on the subject, although chooses not to do so herself as she is very fair skinned

Just because it's not what is the norm in one culture doesn't mean it's not acceptable. From the first time I heard about topless sunbathing, about 30 years ago, my country has embraced the idea more, and more, to the point where, although it doesn't happen on all beaches in England, it does happen, but is just not noticed as being out of the ordinary

Well said, thank you!

well said riggs..I appreciate your comment. And people like me happen to forget about this multicultural thing. I was telling my husband that someday I would like to go to the mediterannean (sp) but he gently reminded me that probably I wouldn't since the european style is very rampant there. I guess that I'll just stay in the area...:)

It is too bad you are limiting your sightseeing options. I can assure you the "european style" is not practiced in Europes cathedrals, museums, art galleries, castles, and other historical places of interest. :D

There are many things to see that do not require a visit to the beach or pool. ;)

If any of you visit Australian Beaches you will see topless females because it is no offence and reasonably common across the country.

So if you would take a cruise on a ship from Australia with Aussies on board, very good chance of observing the topless bathers or 'white pointers' (hope I am not being too rude here.'):)

Really if you can see females topless on beaches and parks in Oz, UK, Europe etc, what harm is it on a cruise ship.

That is my two cents worth anyway.:cool:

Ah, the thread that refuses to die...

Just a note on supposedly unitary "American customs." There is, right within the borders of the City and County of San Francisco (and in hiking distance of Fisherman's Wharf, comes to that), a well-known beach that's not just topless, but fully clothing optional, and nobody - except for a handful of voyeurs and a clutch of exhibitionists - gives a damn.

Of course, SF's also a place where two men can hold hands in public unmolested, so assuredly we're soooo going to Hell.

Hi Folks,

While it is true on many beeches in Europe you can wear what you want or not, in towns etc things are very different, length of mens shorts may be an issue, not having shoulders covered, depending on dates places etc women may need to have their heads covered.

Its these differences that make touring so much fun and an expereince,

lets hope in the years to come we do not all become Mac Doanldised.

yours Shogun

If any of you visit Australian Beaches you will see topless females because it is no offence and reasonably common across the country.

So if you would take a cruise on a ship from Australia with Aussies on board, very good chance of observing the topless bathers or 'white pointers' (hope I am not being too rude here.'):)

..............so on our upcoming Sapphire Princess cruise......there might be some women ..........with their "headlights" on........;)

You should also exclude Dominican Republic and Mexico (at least Cancun) from your list.quote]

Hmmm. I've been to Cancun myself on a land-lubber vacation or two, and I didn't notice any bare tops. Of course I took pains to avoid Spring Break and the Christmas season mob scenes. I'd always thought that the Mexican authorities would have insisted that the girls cover up the girls--at least on public beaches.

Either way, the easily-embarassed have little to fear from me. As a guy on the high side of fifty, I'm past the point where I leer and make Beavis-like noises like a teenager.

Hi Wokie,

You must picked the wrong cruises, on my last two there have been a few, on my last in the med there was a group of young women say 18 to 22 age group all very fit and pleasant company, while going topless was not an issue for them, if they caught some one looking for the sake of looking they would soon tell the bloke where to go, may be being older they did not see any harm in having the spot next to me on the deck, I did notice they got very good service even the deck blokes were around more often just to wipe down the chairs you understand.

As to the Speedo do not forget the baggy shorts boys, there was quite a problem on the same cruise with a bloke that was sleeping on deck he had rolled on his side, his shorts had moved up and all had fallen out on display no one said anything.

Then there are the sun wear types of suits that should never get wet saw a couple of these as well but these blokes made a mad dash for the nearest towel to cover up, most folk saw the funny side.

yours Shogun

WHO is going to set our standards and what should they be? Someone from Witchita, someone from Nice, France, someone from Teheran? They will all have different standards and mores. This is what is so great about travel-one gets to experience these different ways of living. So, if you live in Omaha and you want everything to be exactly as it is in Omaha, then perhaps you should re-consider your vacation plans.

I haven't cruised on Princess yet but have booked a cruise in July. This thread has been interesting because my DH and I are nudists and have tried to find convenient sunbathing facilities on some on the ships that we have been on. While Carnival has a separate sunbathing deck, I was very disappointed to have frequent gawkers and didn't feel comfortable at all. When we were on Costa, we didn't see any topless sunbathers, but it was in Oct. and a bit cold. We always try to get a balcony where we can relax , but even that presents problems when you know someone can peer around your wall. My point being that I have absolutely no problem with anyone else sunbathing topless or nude, but personally, I don't want to provide a show for someone else. Being in a nude environment is a wonderful experience and I would recommend it to anyone, but with all respect to Sjbdtz, they aren't called "colonies". Most are high end RESORTS with all that a family could want for their family vacation!

Derf...you remind me so much of my DH!!!!

Archived