Topless sun bathing?

Voc6

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a topless deck. On Costa this wasn't the "topless" deck. It was just that there were more Europeans on there and in Europe this isn't as taboo.

I wasn't implying that my son was in the "topless" deck area. Of course I wouldn't take my son to the topless deck.

Anyway, like I said in an earlier post- to answer the question. Most cruise lines have a topless deck but I don't seek them out. I know I saw a sign for one on Celebrity but it was at the very top of the ship where is was very windy.

The only time it was a problem was on Costa and there was literally a sea of breasts and I didn't make a big deal out of it but please- an eight year old does notice these things and he (not I) was embarrassed. Other people complained (not I) and they asked people not to do it.

So sorry I am only speaking for myself- shouldn't generalize. In any event, I haven't run into this issue on cruises- except once so it is a moot point.

Believe me, I think the beach story is funny!

With all due respect, an 8 year old child is only embarassed about topless sunbathers if he has been taught that there is something shameful or embarassing about the naked body. An 8 year old raised in Europe would probably not even notice. My own kids didn't really look twice in St. Martin, much less were they embarassed. You yourself have stated several times that you are not comfortable with it, and our attitudes/values are surely communicated to our children whether we actually verbalize them or not.

I'm a 29 year old female and totally think this is an inappropriate behavior while cruising. I'm sure once your at port and you go to the beaches you can find a place to sunbath naked. The reason why I travel on princess is because it is a classy cruise line! If I ever come across a half naked women sun bather on a princess ship where I am. . .I will say something to the women and someone on the ship that has authority.
Hope you never venture outside of the Western Caribbean then.

Yes I will stick to vacationing in the Caribbean and United States and WILL keep my money from vacationing overseas. I am not embarrassed about my body and am fit (not over weight). The 1st poster asked if there was a topless deck and the anwser is NO there is not a topless deck on board princess. I actually sun bath on those high decks because it's nice and quite. As for the classy comment I wrote about before. . .there is a time and place for everything. . .I believe that being topless is what you should do in the privacy of your own home. . or at a beach that permits it. If you don't want lines. .. go to a tanning salon before you go aboard. You can go topless in there.

With all due respect, an 8 year old child is only embarassed about topless sunbathers if he has been taught that there is something shameful or embarassing about the naked body.

Any 8 yr old being raised in America is taught what is appropriate in public and what is not. A private "nude beach" or designated topless area is fine.. but most Americans are quite modest. I mean really, my kids' dress code for school is pretty strict and modest- why would they even think that being naked in public around a pool is OK?

Any 8 yr old being raised in America is taught what is appropriate in public and what is not. A private "nude beach" or designated topless area is fine.. but most Americans are quite modest. I mean really, my kids' dress code for school is pretty strict and modest- why would they even think that being naked in public around a pool is OK?

Isn't that the chance you take when you go out into the world? There may be people who do things differently.

Yes I will stick to vacationing in the Caribbean and United States and WILL keep my money from vacationing overseas.

You should also exclude Dominican Republic and Mexico (at least Cancun) from your list.

We've been to both destinations, first time our son was exactly 8. He was somewhat surprised, but only for the 1st day. Didn't care much after all. (we didn't make any comments about toplessness)

Oh... by the way about proper girls in America. Have you seen spring break week on Travel Channel? (I am not even talking about special videos)

Spoken like a true man! We women don't really enjoy having half-dressed women around. Kind of makes us mad actually- especially when the men enjoy it so much!

I was on Southbeach on my honeymoon. My husband didn't want to go to the beach and get all sandy (we were getting on the ship in a few hours) but I insisted. We sit down on the largely deserted beach. Three attractive fully clothed women decided to lay a blanket down next to our beach chairs. They proceeded to take off everything but their thongs. All of a sudden I wanted to leave and he wanted to stay. I laugh now but at the time I wanted to kill them!

So sorry, women do find it offensive- at least in America.

Whoa, there. You might say "some women might find it offensive" but not the blanket statement that "women" find it offensive.

Doesn't bother me or anyone I know and I am an American woman. And, why were you so upset about the women on the beach. It is none of your business what they wear - or not.

If the mere sight of a naked breast upsets you so much, perhaps you should make sure to never put yourself in a position where one might suddenly pounce within your eyesight.

Sheesh!!:cool:

You know how they say "when in Rome, do as the Romans.." well, Princess markets their cruises generally to Americans. Americans are known to be more modest than most of the rest of the world, it is part of our culture. (I guess we're the prudes of the world! LOL) We as Americans are always taught to be respectful of other people's cultures. We aren't supposed to offend anyone (call it "political correctness") and we are taught tolerance growing up in America. Where is the respect for OUR culture? Does that not matter?

Ay, ya, yah! I was telling a honeymoon story that I thought was funny and one that I thought most females could relate to. It was meant to be comical. It would be like you are on your honeymoon and sitting in a lounge chair by the pool and two women on either side of you and your husband take off their tops. Hard for a man not to notice. I wouldn't blame someone for noticing. My husband was and is a red-blooded American man. He did nothing wrong. I just thought it was funny. Let's top dissecting it. It was funny.

Yes I will stick to vacationing in the Caribbean and United States and WILL keep my money from vacationing overseas. I am not embarrassed about my body and am fit (not over weight). The 1st poster asked if there was a topless deck and the anwser is NO there is not a topless deck on board princess. I actually sun bath on those high decks because it's nice and quite. As for the classy comment I wrote about before. . .there is a time and place for everything. . .I believe that being topless is what you should do in the privacy of your own home. . or at a beach that permits it. If you don't want lines. .. go to a tanning salon before you go aboard. You can go topless in there.

You are, of course, entitled to your feelings. What I find most disturbing was your comment to the effect that if you ever came upon a topless sunbather, you would say something to her and to an attendant to stop.

I'm sure you don't fit the category - however, you come across in some of your comments as self-righteous, absolutely 100% correct about everything, you think your opinion is the only one that is valid. If I were the sunbather, I would tell you to get lost and MYOB!

Americans espouse to being modest when, in fact, we are not. I guarantee that most 8 year olds see more on TV, video games and the movies than they will ever see on a topless beach or sundeck. Sex and boobs sell everything on television from beer to automobiles. Half-dress sweet young things with boobs pushed up to her chin are all over the place.

A child should be taught that there are many different points of view in the world; should be taught that the body is just a body. Shielding little boys from the real world leads to grow men with binoculars hiding in the bushes at Orient Beach on St. Maarten to get a look.

For some very strange reason, we in North America seem to think that our standards and our morres are the ones that should apply to the larger rest of the world.

Much in part to the fact that we North Americans are ashamed of our naked bodies as we have been tought that everything below the neck and above the knees is sexual and therefore taboo. Isn't it ironic that we're fighting a war where they, in larger part, believe the same thing.

You completely made my point. An 8 year old will be embarassed to see topless women if he has been taught that it is wrong. Contrary to your statement, Americans are not sole judge and jury about what is "appropriate." Our kids are taught what is the norm in our society, and rightly so. But they should also be taught that other societies view things differently and we are not to judge that our ways are always "superior." My children don't sunbathe topless and their mother doesn't either. But they are worldly enough to know that many other cultures don't view it as immoral, inappropriate or "not okay" and they can deal with that fact. That's why they didn't really bat an eye. I had warned them in advance and they were way too involved with making sandcastles to be appalled by all the "inappropriate" behavior, and the same would have been true if a few ladies were sunbathing topless by the pool on the ship.

Modest is one thing. Self righteous and judgemental is quite another thing altogether.

You completely made my point. An 8 year old will be embarassed to see topless women if he has been taught that it is wrong. topless by the pool on the ship.

Oh NONSENSE. A kid would feel out of place because he has not been exposed to such things before- pun intended. :D

My 7 year old was in my room while I was getting ready for work and he said "Mom, I think I am seeing something that is not appropriate" (yes, he really talks that way..LOL)

I told him there was nothing wrong with me being undressed but maybe he should either look the other way or stay out of my room while I am dressing. Even so, he would be quite wierded out to see a bunch of naked breasts. That is NOT because he has been taught to think there is something wrong with the human body.

Archived