conceirge lounge

peanutJMV

Are you sure they (rcl) specified alcoholic drinks? Other drinks like coffee are available. Maybe you just read more into it??

I would seriously wonder about the upbringing of an 8 year old who was so well acquainted with wine. I hope you were just trying to make a point.

People who have attained Diamond or Diamond Plus status are generally people who REALLY cruise. I did 30+ in two years, in cabins from insides to suites. And, yes, I DO DESERVE THE PERKS!!!

I am totally new to this so bear with me.

We (my husband, 17 yo, 11 yo and me) are cruising Explorer with my parents in December and have booked the Royal Family Suite. We were pleased to pay the price for this cabin because of the perks of the CL. I'm a little disheartened to read what is included in the CL though as it is NOT what the reservationist (we booked through RCI) told us when we booked. He told us that we get free drinks at the self serve bar 24 hours a day and we thought this was GREAT and well worth the price difference in the suite! My dad pointedly asked the gentleman if he could take drinks out of the lounge and was told yes. My dad was excited about this as the lounge is not far from our suite and he enjoys a little Bailey's in his morning coffee while on vacation. Now reading all your posts I see that it's free drinks IN the lounge only between 5:30-8:30pm. :mad: Everything else he told us seems to be on par with what was posted on here....now I have to break the news to my dad that the free drinks are as plenty as we thought. :(

I must say I do love this message board as I have been able to get a wealth of info from you all! THANKS!

Icy: You really should book a large suite because you like and want the large suite. The Concierge Lounge is nice, but if you would lower your expectations there and just think of it as a LITTLE icing on the cake, you'll be fine.

IF you didn't misunderstand the CSR on the phone, and s/he actually said "free open bar of alcoholic drinks all day long and you can take them anywhere you want", then I'm afraid that you've been a victim of CLMPAD.*

As you now know, come HERE for complete and accurate information. WE have all been on cruises. Many who answer the phone for Royal Caribbean have never left Kansas.

* CLMPAD = Cruise Line Misinformation Phone Answerer Disease

there are some countries in which children drink wine with their dinners. I am sure after years of this they would be able to order wine better than I would. I am not a wine drinker....don't know the first thing about them. Can only remember one, TJSwan's Easy Nights. LOL We were allowed a mini snifter of wine during Holiday dinners. Not sure what it was though. Reminded me of vinegar though. Gee, maybe it was wine vinegar????

MSICYBIRD - and who told you that they serve Bailey's in the Concierge Lounge? None of the Radiance class ships has Bailey's on their "approved" list.
BTW, does anyone have a list of approved acoholic beverages that can be served?

[quote name='negc']They can also get hot chocolate in the Windjammer and there are card rooms and many other quiet areas where they can do those things if anyone has a problem with them being in the CL. [/QUOTE]

Bill,

We frequent the card rooms too, but not on the Voyager Class ships. The card room on the Enchantment is the best....well, the Jewel is GREAT too.

I only take my kids (ages 15,15,13,11) with us in the afternoon, so if anyone has a problem with us playing a game of chess, I could care less :D We have never even considerd trying to bring them in after the very clearly posted time of 5:30pm.

Bobbie

[quote name='bajathree']My kids have traveled more and been to finer establishments than most adults. I think my 8 yr old daughter can probally order from the wine list at this point. In any case enjoy:)[/quote]

Which is completely unrelated to the rules of the concierge lounge. Why do you assume that your kids have traveled more and been to finer establishments than most adults? Do you know "most adults"? I really dislike this kind of generalization, especially when it's meant to rationalize something.

beachchick

[quote name='bajathree']
If the rule is no kids after 5pm then I understand and would not expect any special treatment. But if anyone has a problem before 5, they should not be on a ship like Mariner that caters to "families".[/QUOTE]

First of all, RCI markets to families, but families with young children do not "own" RCI or cruising as a vacation. RCI markets and caters to ALL types of people (honeymooning couples, retired folks, younger people, and families with children, etc.). If they didn't, they wouldn't continue to put out brochures and other material touting the joys of "romantic" and intimate dinners, and they wouldn't have wedding packages and honeymoon packages and romance packages. Families with children are one of their market targets, not the only one.

Second, children are certainly welcome in the CL before 5 or 5:30, but parents are expected to accompany them. No problem with that. The fact that families are one target market for RCI is not the issue.

beachchick

[quote name='Parrothead8']Dont even know what to say about that remark......an 8 yr old that knows her wine?? Whatever!:cool:[/QUOTE]
Also, there are lots of places for kids on RCCL ships -- Adventure Ocean, sports areas, arcade. The 8 year old may be well behaved but a rule that is not enforced for one person would lead all those eligible for CL to bring their kids. This would be disruptive and also contribute to the overcrowding being dealt with in another thread about last week's Mariner cruise.

[quote name='bobbie0253']Bill,

We frequent the card rooms too, but not on the Voyager Class ships. The card room on the Enchantment is the best....well, the Jewel is GREAT too.

I only take my kids (ages 15,15,13,11) with us in the afternoon, so if anyone has a problem with us playing a game of chess, I could care less :D We have never even considerd trying to bring them in after the very clearly posted time of 5:30pm.

Bobbie[/quote

My only point was that there are other locations where hot chocolate can be obtained and where chess and other games played besides the concierge lounge, so there should be no need to be confrontational. If my kids were still the age of yours, I might also bring them in the lounge during the day, but if someone were to object to their presence, I might decide that rather than assert my and their right to be there, I might just choose another location, and avoid the person who found our presence objectionable. Probably not, I'd probably get assertive but to what ultimate end? Do I want to spoil my vacation by engaging in a petty argument over the rules? Discretion sometimes is the better part of valor, and I'd rather pick my battles and expend my energies on things of greater import.:)

[quote name='peanutJMV']thanks
nota diamond member, noly sailed with RCCL X3.
Staying in a balcony.
Maybe we willl sneak in anyway to get a good cup of coffee in the am.

Ha--

thanks again[/quote]

From what I understand a special card is required to get into the concierge. Our next cruise is the first time that we will be eligible so we will see.

We are in a GS on the Brilliance in Jan. It will be interesting to see how crowded it really is. We have never had this problem before. The Mariner CL always had seating and the service was first-rate. I hope they will try to find a good fix for the over-crowding that seems to be taking place because so many of us are loyal cruisers.

[quote name='bobbie0253']Bill,

Bobbie[/quote]

[B][COLOR=red]And you have every right to be in there with your kids(during the day).......If someone has a problem, too bad............let [U]them[/U] go elsewhere!! Enjoy your trip.......[/COLOR][/B]

just wante dto say that we are diamond members, have cruised with our kids numerous times AND we have stayed in the suites, We have never even stepped foot in the CL, but the few times i have peeked in I have been struck by how small it is and how crowded it is around early evening, as for bringing my kids.. Even if i wanted to go to the lounge I prob would not...the word Lounge implys an adult setting and I would just say no.. Have a great night all...

Yes there are free drinks all day long, but it is specialty coffee from Seattle's Best: Cappuccino, Latte, Espresso. The booze for free is 5-9PM.

This also includes continental breakfast, nice luncheon with sandwiches, salad, fruit & cheeses, the cocktail time has hor de orves.

[quote name='Msicybird']I am totally new to this so bear with me.

We (my husband, 17 yo, 11 yo and me) are cruising Explorer with my parents in December and have booked the Royal Family Suite. We were pleased to pay the price for this cabin because of the perks of the CL. I'm a little disheartened to read what is included in the CL though as it is NOT what the reservationist (we booked through RCI) told us when we booked. He told us that we get free drinks at the self serve bar 24 hours a day and we thought this was GREAT and well worth the price difference in the suite! My dad pointedly asked the gentleman if he could take drinks out of the lounge and was told yes. My dad was excited about this as the lounge is not far from our suite and he enjoys a little Bailey's in his morning coffee while on vacation. Now reading all your posts I see that it's free drinks IN the lounge only between 5:30-8:30pm. :mad: Everything else he told us seems to be on par with what was posted on here....now I have to break the news to my dad that the free drinks are as plenty as we thought. :(

I must say I do love this message board as I have been able to get a wealth of info from you all! THANKS![/quote]

[quote name='MACOP']Yes there are free drinks all day long, but it is specialty coffee from Seattle's Best: Cappuccino, Latte, Espresso. The booze for free is 5-9PM.

This also includes continental breakfast, nice luncheon with sandwiches, salad, fruit & cheeses, the cocktail time has hor de orves.[/QUOTE]
I never saw a lunch on Serenade but really enjoyed the breakfast. Lox and Bagels, cheese fruit, muffins etc. and that great coffee. Came up a few times for Cappuccino (nice to be able to add extra froth and an extra shot of Espresso). Also quiet and less frenetic than Windjammer, although breakfast in the dining room was nice.

Archived