Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

Hello,

Consider renting a car for the other two days. With a rental car you have a huge selection of reasonablypriced hotels in nice areas of the greater Los Angeles area. Manyof the hotels/motels will have free or much reduced charges for parking. Further a rental car takes care of your transportation to the cruise terminal. There is an Enterprise Rent a car office in San Pedro.

Another alternative...

And if you pick up up the car at LAX or whichever airport you flying into, you will have a rental car to get to the Bonaventure, to Staples Center, and to less expensive restaurants and sightseeing if time allows. Sure the Bonventure will charge you for one night's parking but this is outweighed greatly by your having a car. Taxis are not inexpensive in Los Angeles so you need to consider this as well.

Edited by Fredr

No, just a room. If you need to park and sail you should probably call the hotel direct.

Just for more information on hotels won on Priceline, our daughter is on the Nov. 21 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sapphire. She has won the Doubletree San Pedro for the 20th at $70, and the following weekend won the Crowne Plaza LAX for the night of the 28th Nov. for only $42. They're taking an early morning flight on the 29th so she'll be right there bright and early.

Just want to report back on our daughter's hotel stays. The Doubletree in San Pedro was nice, she said. They had no problems with it, and enjoyed the view of the marina just outside their window. The Crowne Plaza at LAX was not worth much more than the $42 she spent on it. They said the room was in bad shape. The sink in the bathroom was even pulling away from the wall. Luckily they didn't spend much time in the room, just for sleeping, and the bed was fine, thank goodness. I wonder if the Marriott at LAX is nicer since Princess uses them for passegers who request a hotel the night before a cruise. Anyone ever stay at the Marriott LAX?

Just finished a 5 night Priceline stay (non-cruise) at the 4* Westgate Hotel in downtown San Diego (Dec. 3 - 8). Won the bid at $71 per night and it was fantastic - nicest staff we have ever encountered, and a great, centrally located, beautifully furnished hotel.:)

1 night - pre-cruise...

$64.00 + taxes =$79.96 ~ 2 adults, 2 kids....

Any feedback on this hotel would be great!

Thanks!

Hi,

If this was done on Priceline, has the hotel guaranteed that 2 adults + 2 kids will be accomodated at the bid price? Priceline bidding only guarantees that there will be a bed or beds for 2 people (as opposed to hotwire, where you enter the total number of guests). You might want to check with the hotel, or plan for the possibility of either paying additionally for the extra 2 or not all of you appearing at the check-in desk.

Sorry, can't help with the Solamar info, except that it is pretty highly recommended (you might want to have a look at tripadvisor for ratings). We recently won a Priceline stay at the Westgate in San Diego, and it was wonderful. I'm sure Solamar is as good or better! Enjoy.

We (3 couples) booked our cruise through Priceline and were to get emailed vouchers for 2 free nights and a bonus night (bonus cash of $140 + $70) to use at Priceline for a "name your own price" hotel.

We got the email. However, it had two separate links to use the bonus cash, one link for the two nights and one link for the 1 night. This makes it difficult to get all 3 nights together at the same hotel.

Even worse, we can't figure out how we can all end up at the same hotel using the "name your own price". Any ideas???

We are contemplating setting up three laptops and hitting the buy it now at the same moment to increase our odds, realizing it probably won't.

I've emailed Priceline customer service but wonder if I will even get a response.

Edited by loveit2

We (3 couples) booked our cruise through Priceline and were to get emailed vouchers for 2 free nights and a bonus night (bonus cash of $140 + $70) to use at Priceline for a "name your own price" hotel.

We got the email. However, it had two separate links to use the bonus cash, one link for the two nights and one link for the 1 night. This makes it difficult to get all 3 nights together at the same hotel.

Even worse, we can't figure out how we can all end up at the same hotel using the "name your own price". Any ideas???

We are contemplating setting up three laptops and hitting the buy it now at the same moment to increase our odds, realizing it probably won't.

I've emailed Priceline customer service but wonder if I will even get a response.

I don't think I would use your method to hope that you will all get rooms at the same hotel. Even hitting the "Buy" button simultaneously, there is always the possibility that Priceline doesn't have 3 rooms in their inventory for the same hotel for the same night(s). Could you save your bonus cash for another hotel stay? Or can all 3 couples live with the possibility of being separated for the hotel stay? Check the lists at betterbidding and biddingfortravel to see how many different hotels at the same star level are posted for the city you are interested in booking.

Good luck!

Just sucessfully bid $ 80.00 per Night on **** PriceLine for Pre-Cruise (2 Night) Hotel. Got the WestGate for 01-30-2010 and 01-31-2010. Reviews are pretty positive :) Only downside for us is that there is no pool. But Happy none the less !! Generally, Web Prices were around $ 185.00 - $ 200.00 per Night. WhooHoo.......Thanks for starting the Original Thread and all the helpful comments that have been posted. CC is awesome !!

Just sucessfully bid $ 80.00 per Night on **** PriceLine for Pre-Cruise (2 Night) Hotel. Got the WestGate for 01-30-2010 and 01-31-2010. Reviews are pretty positive :) Only downside for us is that there is no pool. But Happy none the less !! Generally, Web Prices were around $ 185.00 - $ 200.00 per Night. WhooHoo.......Thanks for starting the Original Thread and all the helpful comments that have been posted. CC is awesome !!

If you like "old world charm" and elegance, you will love the Westgate. We just completed a 5 night stay there also won on priceline ($71 per night), and had a wonderful time. It is located right across the street from Horton Plaza, and the hotel has the most fantastic personnel we have ever encountered. We were treated like royalty and not like priceline winners. Enjoy - we'd go back in a heartbeat!:p

Yes, I agree. I save so much money with the helpful tips I find on Cruise Critic. I can't travel without all of you.

When I tell my friends that I only get my hotels through Priceline they think I am nuts. I would rather save money on the hotel put it to better use - taking another excursion that I book before the cruise starts with a personal guide that I find via the Internet. I always get a group of CC members together to share the excursions with me so we all save money.

Happy Sailing!

Marion

I wanted to update you on our stategy. We decided we didn't want to risk moving from one hotel to another after 2 nights, so we used our 2 night bonus cash from Priceline for 3 nights.

First couple bid downtown, 4* and $65 and bid accepted on first try at Hotel Salamar. Yippee! The dates are 1/29-2/1/2010 before our cruise on Radiance.

Second couple bid downtown, 4* and $60 (based on first couple experience) and bid accepted on first try at Hotel Salamar.

Third couple bid downtown, 4* and $55 (based on success of couples one and two) and bid was rejected. Added Coronado area and upped bid to $60. Was accepted at Hotel Salamar.

We now have our other bonus cash to use on another vacation before 12/31/2010.

Edited by loveit2

Last night I got the 3* Holiday Inn on the Bay from 1/16/10 - 1/18/10 for our precruise stay. I'm thrilled since they offer an airport shuttle and they are located right across the street from the port. It might not be the best hotel in SD, but it will suit our needs.

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $57.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $114.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $23.16 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $137.16 (USD)

I started my bid at $45, was rejected, raised it to $50, was rejected, raised it to $52 and received an offer to rebid if I added $15, decided I'd add $5 and if it was rejected I'd just have to wait until today, but it was accepted at $57.