Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

Used Priceline for the first time.

Got Grand Hyatt Seattle for $100. for early Sept for 2 nights pre cruise. Bid $85 for downtown 3 star or better and was shot down. Put in $100. and it was accepted. Their site shows it for $177. Its a 4 star but what I really was more interested in was the location so I'm a happy girl. :):p

Congratulations on your winning bid. However, for your future reference (and for other new Priceline people reading this) much better prices can often be obtained by waiting until a time much closer to your travel date to bid. I never bid closer to 6 weeks prior to my trip and often wait to bid until 4 weeks prior. The reason for this is that Priceline is a clearing house for unsold hotel rooms. Most rooms are not released to Priceline far away from the date. Many experienced bidders even wait until a week prior to their stay to bid.

I am impatient and also like to have things lined up in advance, so here is what I do: In areas like Seattle that are in high demand in the summer I will reserve an acceptable hotel that I can cancel in a star level below what I plan on bidding for. 4-6 weeks prior to my stay I will start bidding, keeping my maximum price well below the 50% retail mark for the star level I am seeking. Go to http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/ to see the Hotel List for your area. Also see what other successful bids are showing and how far away they bid. As I get closer (two weeks) I may increase my maximum bid if I need to. Remember, when you do not know your hotel you may have extra costs (no free breakfast, parking, etc) that can make your bargain not so great in the end. That is why you should never go over your maximum bid. I also stay at least $25 below my pre-reserved hotel cost, and not go over 50% retail for the * I am bidding. If I am not successful I will stick with my pre-reserved hotel, knowing what I am getting. It's a game, and I usually feel as if I won!:D For a Chicago trip I won a 3 1/2 * Hotel that usually sells for $236 on the web for $37/night 6 weeks prior to my trip this April. So do not be afraid to bid really low if you see others doing so successfully.:)

What are the free rebid zones for San Diego. I am looking for a 4* hotel in the Downtown area.

Thanks!

These could change daily, so you need to check your rebid zones prior to bidding each time. To check the zones go to Priceline's bidding page. You will see step 1 that lists the zones. When you click on a zone you will see the * levels listed in step 2 below. Write down the zone that do not have a 4* and use those for your free rebids. San Diego has quite a few. Good luck! Be sure to see my advice above about keeping your bids below what you can get a good 3* hotel for if you are looking for a 4* downtown. Last month I won the W Hotel downtown (4*) for $80 per night. However, parking was $32 per night and no free breakfast. Keep that in mind when placing your bids.

Waterlily777...

These could change daily, so you need to check your rebid zones prior to bidding each time. To check the zones go to Priceline's bidding page. You will see step 1 that lists the zones. When you click on a zone you will see the * levels listed in step 2 below. Write down the zone that do not have a 4* and use those for your free rebids. San Diego has quite a few. Good luck! Be sure to see my advice above about keeping your bids below what you can get a good 3* hotel for if you are looking for a 4* downtown. Last month I won the W Hotel downtown (4*) for $80 per night. However, parking was $32 per night and no free breakfast. Keep that in mind when placing your bids.

Thank you so much for your help.

I am cruising out of San Pedro in Nov with Princess. On Priceline, Long Beach, LGB, San Pedro, Torrance-Carson are each their own zones. To save me hunting around on biddingfortravel.com has anyone found these zones on there?

Any must stay places to cross fingers and hope to get, or a particular * level that is worth shooting for? Any free shuttles to the cruise ship that would make a particular hotel worth just paying for and skip the whole priceline game??

Is it more logical to stay near LAX and taxi in the morning, or taxi from airport, stay the night, then taxi again to ship in the morning?

I'm travelling with a friend which does make a dif on type of hotel to stay at.

Thx for suggestions. K

Both 3 1/2 star hotels at San Pedro; Crowne Plaza and Doubletree which often come up on Priceline or Hotwire, offer shuttle to the port. You can always book a back up hotel at normal rack rates that are acceptable to you and your friend, and cancel if you are sucessful bigging on line. These hotels are under San Pedro. If you fail in bidding the first try, add Long Beach Airport, stay with the 3 1/2 Stars and San Pedro and increase your bid usually about $5.

Taxi's from any of the airports will be the most expensive means of transportation. Super Shuttle and Prime Shuttle are both very highly recommended. Super Shuttle is about $17 one way per person but there is a discount code available, if you do a search.

I'm travelling with a friend which does make a dif on type of hotel to stay at.

Thx for suggestions. K

Keep in mind that on Priceline you are guaranteed a room that sleeps two people, NOT a room with two beds. That may affect whether you choose to do Priceline in that circumstance.

Thanks Sunny AZ Girl and Nanatravel. I've done Priceline lots so I'm good with the logistics of bidding. I just couldn't quickly find the listing of hotels that have come up in the past when looking on biddingfortravel.com. Do you know Nanatravel if Crown Plaza & Doubletree offer FREE shuttle to cruiseship? Thanks for the LAX shuttle suggestions and hint to look for discount code. That will come in handy. I think last time I Priceline'd a hotel in San Pedro I was travelling with my kids so the taxi was a cheaper option, so had forgotten to think about the airport shuttle.

Here's my Priceline tip. I always have tried to get 4* or resort but recently on a trip to Seattle & Portland, it occurred to me to bid 2* or 2 1/2* depending on what hotels biddingfortravel.com suggests typically come up (don't want too scuzzy, nor a biker pub downstairs). A 2* is often a Best Western, or Holiday Inn Express which include breakfast. On that trip, I won the Springhill Suites in Vancouver Washington for $34. My 2 teens boys, and my husband & I really enjoyed our free hot breakfast, and the 2 Q beds and double sofa bed! Cruising out of Seattle, I've also stayed at the Springhill Suites by REI off the I5 and again, free breakfast and 2 Q's and a D sofabed is worth the compromise on * quality. I'm now a reformed 4* bidder (only when travelling with those teens of course, otherwise it's Westin 4*/Resort all the way if Priceline will award it to me!)

Yaaaaaaaaa Hooooooooooooo!!!!!!

I just used Priceline for the first time, and got the Doubletree near the airport in Seattle on June 27, 2010 for $40.00 and it's regularly $109.00

Look out Holland America, here I come!!!!

I just got the Delta Vancouver Suites hotel for $100.00 a night. Other sites had the hotel at $199.00+. This was my first time using priceline. I will have to try it for my Anchorage stay.

What month are you going and what was your original bid? I'm trying to get a room downtown for June 16th. and I'm bidding for a 3 or 31/2* with no luck up to $80.

Thanks Sunny AZ Girl and Nanatravel. I've done Priceline lots so I'm good with the logistics of bidding. I just couldn't quickly find the listing of hotels that have come up in the past when looking on biddingfortravel.com. Do you know Nanatravel if Crown Plaza & Doubletree offer FREE shuttle to cruiseship? Thanks for the LAX shuttle suggestions and hint to look for discount code. That will come in handy. I think last time I Priceline'd a hotel in San Pedro I was travelling with my kids so the taxi was a cheaper option, so had forgotten to think about the airport shuttle.

Both of those San Pedro preferred hotels offer pier shuttle. Supposedly, I got the Crowne Plaza to include Breakfast. We shall see tomorrow! I'm all packed.

Good luck bidding. Just be patient and don't forget to add Long Beach Airport if you are not successful the first time.

Aloha,

Anyone having any luck with Priceline or Hotwire for San Pedro for June this year? I keep bidding on Priceline and have not been successful to date. I know the 3 1/2 * used to go for $65 pretty consistently a year ago, but they seem to have gone up.

If you have had a successful bid for the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, could you please list it so I know how high I should go?

Thanks so much!

Hi guys

I have lots of questions about priceline, I hope you can answer for me please :).

If I was to bid on San Pedro 3/1/2 star, what hotels does it usually give you?

I have been told I should get Doubletree or Crownplaza is this true?

I was thinking of putting a bid of $75 is this too high or low?

What are the additional costs after my winning bid?

We are a family of 5 (2 a, 3 c - 9,7,5) and will need to get two rooms - will this be okay or do I have to get 3?

Thanks in advance :).

Hi guys

I have lots of questions about priceline, I hope you can answer for me please :).

We are a family of 5 (2 a, 3 c - 9,7,5) and will need to get two rooms - will this be okay or do I have to get 3?

Go to this website to get many of your questions answered. At the top of the forum for the area you are bidding is a sticky which will tell you what has been historically the hotels that have been won in each star category. You can also see what recent winning bids have been. http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

Notice the dates of the bids and how far in advance the best priced winning bids have been placed.

Extra costs are the same as any hotel - possible parking fees, meals, etc. You will not know in advance if the hotel you win includes these amenities, so if you are counting on an included breakfast for example, be sure to keep that in mind when determining your bid amount. All taxes and fees will be added to your bid. They are the same as they would be in a regular reservation.

Priceline guarantees a room that sleeps two people, nothing more. Sometimes folks have been able to call the hotel after they win the bid and request a room with two beds, but that cannot be guaranteed. If you have special requirements such as connecting rooms, rooms next to each other or a room with two beds then Priceline may not be your best choice for this trip.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Personally, I'd say with 2A3C you should be okay getting two rooms. It does vary depending on destination as well, but San Jose is likely to be fine. The hotel may also charge extra for the 3rd person, but I'd say it's unlikely here. If it were me, I'd risk it :-)

However, if you like more certainty you can also use hotwire which is also a room discounter, but offers the ability to say how many people you're booking for and confirm that.

Pricing and availability really depend on the date booked, so will leave that to your research.

Regarding costs, as with other US pricing, priceline will add on taxes plus their own fees on top of the bid price. This varies depending on city, but as a rough guide my experience is it tends to be around 18-25% extra.

Edited by The_Big_M

Hi guys

Hey Brossy - I notice you're from Australia - something else to research on biddingfortravel.com - I'm from Canada, and until recently priceline would not accept some canadian charge cards nor a canadian address so I learned on biddingfortravel how to "fake it out" by giving it a US address and using american express. In the last 2 years, it seems to now allow canadians to bid and I now use a visa to pay.

Also, regarding *level - I've realized recently (teen boys) that I'm better to give up the posh of a 4* and go for a 2 or 2 1/2* because they often include a free breakfast which is worth it now! Check out biddingfortravel and you'll learn a lot. Oh - and San Pedro is located under "los angeles and surrounding area" and then inside that, you click "San Garbriel Valley/Long Beach hotel list". The 2* is the Holiday Inn and kids eat free there, but the Crowne & Doubletree that have come up under 3 1/2* don't include food. You will also get that 2* for a maybe less than the 3 1/2*. Something to think about anyway.

Good luck!

Just got the Westin downtown on Priceline for $80/night. We will be there in mid-May for three nights prior to our cruise.

Hi Sue, Ken & Sue say hi from last year's HAL's Westerdam cruise and the wonderful Meet & Greet that Diane (Legalslave) arranged. Are you going on NCL Pearl? We will be on the May 17th Oosterdam cruise and arrive in Seattle May 13th!

Nice to see your posts again, still no Jack in the Box where I live!!

Hey Brossy - I notice you're from Australia - something else to research on biddingfortravel.com - I'm from Canada, and until recently priceline would not accept some canadian charge cards nor a canadian address so I learned on biddingfortravel how to "fake it out" by giving it a US address and using american express. In the last 2 years, it seems to now allow canadians to bid and I now use a visa to pay.

Also, regarding *level - I've realized recently (teen boys) that I'm better to give up the posh of a 4* and go for a 2 or 2 1/2* because they often include a free breakfast which is worth it now! Check out biddingfortravel and you'll learn a lot. Oh - and San Pedro is located under "los angeles and surrounding area" and then inside that, you click "San Garbriel Valley/Long Beach hotel list". The 2* is the Holiday Inn and kids eat free there, but the Crowne & Doubletree that have come up under 3 1/2* don't include food. You will also get that 2* for a maybe less than the 3 1/2*. Something to think about anyway.

Good luck!

Thankyou for that i'll check it out. I was worried about some of the hotels in San Pedro because of some of the things I have read on CC. Do you know if the Holiday inn offers free shuttle to the port? We won't have car (dropping it on in long beach the morning we arrive in San Pedro), so is the Holiday Inn close to transport, shops etc?

Thanks in advance :)

Just got a winning bid on Priceline for the Westin (4*) in Downtown Pike's Place area for $75. It's for Friday, May 14. The bid was accepted right away which is making me second guess whether I should have bid a bit lower. The regular price now showing on other sites is $179.