HAL's Tipping Policy

Italy52

Michmike, I share your feelings concerning this. In fact I might suggest it goes a bit further than that, but I don't want to nitpick about it.

But whether or not a person is fair or generous in tipping has nothing to do with the deck they're on.

I feel the same way about generalizations. If you have not already done so, see post #60, that makes an "insider's" case for those that travel in less expensive cabins being more likely to not be happy with their cruise and more likely to not tip. I do not work for a cruise line. I would not know.

As a passenger who tends to cruise in "budget" accommodations, I am pleased to be the exception to the rule.

I have a question for anyone..........If I gave a long distance calling card, say like MCI. (which can be purchased at Sams Club or Costco) for various amounts, could I give this to the waiter or room stewart, without there having to put it in the tip pool?? :confused: :confused:
good question, in some ways it is making me laugh: I can see it now: one for you, next call for me, etc. Still it is a good question and of course the answer certainly should be NO. NMnita

Several years ago, we sailed in a mini- suite on the Amsterdam, in the Baltics. We were seated with a family of three who were sailing in the penthouse. They were doing multiple BTB cruises to avoid the heat of their home state in the peak of summer.

They were long time HAL cruisers and previously sailed BTB in Alaska, the majority of the summer. Anyway, they believed that they had paid enough for their cruises and given tipping was optional, at the time, they brought on mini fruit cake loaves to disburse to favored crew members. They took the time to write personal notes of gratitude to accompany the loaves for those crew members disembarking at the end of the cruise and delivered them with much pomp and circumstance. I have yet to see more a more gracious people

anywhere at aytime, than the crew members who recieved these gifts in lieu of a gratuity. I suspect the fish ate well that evening:)

Hammybee, thanks for reminding me about Messrs. Gallup's post. I often feel they have excellent information to add to this board, but in this case I find their post to be extremely generalized with the disclaimer "not always" attached to everything that was stated.

Also, it's interesting to note that it may seem that the lower priced cabins complain more, but we must remember that #1) there are a heck of a lot more of those cabins and #2) they are not receiving the same level of service as those in the suite categories.

So it's an unfair comparison. I think the staff tends to fall all over the suite passengers a bit more than those on the lower decks. As a result those on lower decks may have to request attention a bit more often.

JG's comment about the lower categories being "purgatory" is just one more slam against some passengers that this group has been known to make often in the past. I refer to JG as a group because it's been acknowledged they are 3 people.

Like you, I don't work for a cruise line (thank heaven:) ) so I don't know. I'm just using my common sense which has always done pretty well for me.

all of you are posting to the cruisers who of course are on and read the threads of this board

i once read or heard that less then 3% of the cruisers out there on all cruiselines know of or read any of these threads -- so what we are actually doing regarding any thread that takes on a life of its own is trying to change the mind of a cruiser/poster who is already set in their ways regarding tipping/dress codes/saving lounge chairs/and smuggling booze etc etc and it just aint going to happen

jim

<<<<So many people want to have dinner with the ship's captain. Why? He is just the driver, isn't he? Do they also want to have dinner with the pilot who flew them to the port, or the bus driver who drove them from the airport? Maybe the taxi driver too? I'm sure that all of them would have great stories to tell.>>>

you are so right with what you post ---bu i and a lot of other pax want to dine with the captain because of all the perks that come with the invite and its something i could talk about for a long time --- i would have dinner with the bus driver if it came with free drinks and wine and a bunch of waiters fawning over me and thats the truth

i once read or heard that less then 3% of the cruisers out there on all cruiselines know of or read any of these threads -- so what we are actually doing regarding any thread that takes on a life of its own is trying to change the mind of a cruiser/poster who is already set in their ways regarding tipping/dress codes/saving lounge chairs/and smuggling booze etc etc and it just aint going to happen

I am so in agreement with you on this:) . I have said this on a few threads, though, and been totally and completely ignored. And you know why? Because if we accept that truth, then half the threads on this board go away and it becomes simply a Q&A board. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not too interesting for those of us here a long time. It truly is the debate that keeps bring everyone back.

As to dining with the Captain, I really would rather not. When I was 17 years old my grandmother and I dined at the Captain's Table for the entire week and I was absolutely awestruck. But now it's just not important to me.

The reason is simple. I like to be completely relaxed at dinner. I like to say what I want and not have to try to be charming and follow every rule of Etiquette I've ever learned (and I was brought up practically at Emily Post's knee;) ). But on a cruise during dinner I want to laugh at whatever I want and be silly if I feel like it.

That said, if asked I would accept because I believe it would be rude to do anything else.:)

I am so in agreement with you on this:) . I have said this on a few threads, though, and been totally and completely ignored. And you know why? Because if we accept that truth, then half the threads on this board go away and it becomes simply a Q&A board. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not too interesting for those of us here a long time. It truly is the debate that keeps bring everyone back.

As to dining with the Captain, I really would rather not. When I was 17 years old my grandmother and I dined at the Captain's Table for the entire week and I was absolutely awestruck. But now it's just not important to me.

The reason is simple. I like to be completely relaxed at dinner. I like to say what I want and not have to try to be charming and follow every rule of Etiquette I've ever learned (and I was brought up practically at Emily Post's knee;) ). But on a cruise during dinner I want to laugh at whatever I want and be silly if I feel like it.

That said, if asked I would accept because I believe it would be rude to do anything else.:)

Heather,

On my ship, if I have a Cabin Steward mis-behaving or poorly performing in his section on Deck 10, the worst thing I can say to him is "Deck 3". This is the deck with the least expensive cabins. If he is assigned there, he knows (and I know) he will make less money and receive lower ratings - no matter what he does.

Will everyone staying there tip him less? Of course not. But a significant portion of those living there will. Are they cheap?, poor?, uncivilized?, difficult?, unsophisticated?. I don't really know. It may be a combination of all these factors - or none.

But we all know (those of us who live and work on ships) that a significant number of people who book low end cabins tip less and rate lower than those who book pricier cabins. We didn't invent this idea - and we certainly don't support it. But it still happens every cruise.

It has occurred to you - and to us - that perhaps the lower tips and ratings from the low priced cabins are a result of the less experienced stewards that are normally assigned there. But on those occasions when we had staff shortages and were forced to temporarily assign our better cabin stewards to these areas, they still received lower ratings and fewer tips.

Are we still generalizing here? Absolutely. That's what the Mass Market is all about. If you want personalizing, it costs more money.

....... and in Holland have you ever had a Dubelja?..

That's called a "dubbeltje" and was a little silver coin worth ten cents! They don't have them anymore - they have Euro coins now

Good post Mr. Gallup! The latest and greatest is a tip jar at your local Starbucks including at the drive-through window!

Heather,

On my ship, if I have a Cabin Steward mis-behaving or poorly performing in his section on Deck 10, the worst thing I can say to him is "Deck 3". This is the deck with the least expensive cabins. If he is assigned there, he knows (and I know) he will make less money and receive lower ratings - no matter what he does.

Will everyone staying there tip him less? Of course not. But a significant portion of those living there will. Are they cheap?, poor?, uncivilized?, difficult?, unsophisticated?. I don't really know. It may be a combination of all these factors - or none.

Jim, this statement disturbs me!:(

My DH & I cruise approx. twice a year on the longer cruises..In April we were on a 25 day cruise & this Nov. we'll be on a 14 day cruise..We only book Outside "C thru F" cabins in order to take the longer 14-25 day cruises..Are you telling me, that the stewards working our cabin class are not as good as the stewards serving those in Veranda's &/or Suites, & we might be those passengers which you & your staff consider cheap, poor, uncivilized, difficult or unsophisticated?

I would bet that we've been to more areas in this world than most passengers who book veranda's &/or Suites...I've been invited to dine in the homes of many wonderful people, (including the Mayor of a Moroccan Town), we've met on these travels..We've been invited to dine at the Capt.table & have been invited to many beautiful places & treated royally...I'm sure if we were any of the above, we would not have been invited to these lovely gatherings..

We've never had to reduce our Auto-tip & often add to that with an additional cash tip & a Thank-you..Only once on one of our cruises, have we not given an added tip to our Room Steward, because we thought the service was mediocre..

We always try to smile, are not demanding & are polite to those who serve us... We've met some very rude people who have the $$$ to spend on veranda's &/or Suites, but also treat the staff as if they are their personal servants to order around..And constantly complain about every little thing..These folks to me are uncivilized & crude..:( .

However,you seem to intimate that since we only book outside cabins, we are considerd part of the lower class of passengers..

Happy Cruising everyone..Betty

JG, you've read enough of my posts by now to know that I will always come to the defense of any group on this board who I feel has been maligned in any way by anyone.

This case is no different. Perhaps everything you say is correct because I have no way of knowing. But I do know that people from all walks of life and from all over the world post on CC and none of them need to be told that they are "cheap", heavy complainers, etc., etc.

I do have to say that in my life here on land in the businesses I worked, it was usually the "big spenders" who complained the most about everything. If it wasn't absolute perfection, it just wasn't good enough. Maybe when people go to sea, they suddently change. I have to take your word on that.

I have to make the observation that when your Stewards receive this assignment which has been accepted by all of you as a fate worse than death, that perhaps they don't give it their all because they've been told there will be little reward. So it can become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But I don't know. I've admitted that. Still, I'm not sure it's necessary to use quite such scathing vocabulary about any group of people. It's certainly not going to endear them to you or to the Stewards who serve them the next time they book in "steerage".

Jim, this statement disturbs me!:

However,you seem to intimate that since we only book outside cabins, we are considerd part of the lower class of passengers..

Happy Cruising everyone..Betty

Betty,

Check out the purgatory passage on the other active tipping thread. JG's posts, are, I think ,sometimes executed to create controversy and make a point. It's an art form.

There is another tag team of crew members that post under a common screen name, on another board, that once speculated their cruise line must be dropping flyers in trailer parks, given the type of passengers they get in economy class. As you can imagine, that created quite a hornet's nest of a reaction. ( Not that there is anything wrong with trailer parks)

I am thinking that the point is that given pricing on most mass marketed 7 day or less intineraries, there is probably a greater tendency to see a new breed of passenger aboard, expecting to be lord and lady of the manor for $449 P/P.

Like you, I am uncomfortable with most generalizations.

I have to make the observation that when your Stewards receive this assignment which has been accepted by all of you as a fate worse than death, that perhaps they don't give it their all because they've been told there will be little reward. So it can become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Interesting point of view that carries a lot of truth.

Betty, your post is excellent and said with your usual grace:) . You and I must have been writing at the same time so I missed reading it earlier. You said it so much better than I ever could.

JG's posts, are, I think ,sometimes executed to create controversy and make a point. It's an art form.

Hammybee, you make an excellent point. I rarely miss a JG post and while some have been very helpful, many leave me puzzled and make me wonder why anyone would choose to bite the hand that feeds them.

We have to bear in mind that this is just one person (or 2 or 3 as the case may be) stating their view/s and hopefully it is not the opinion of all who so pleasantly and smilingly serve us on our cruises with HAL.

We have to bear in mind that this is just one person (or 2 or 3 as the case may be) stating their view/s and hopefully it is not the opinion of all who so pleasantly and smilingly serve us on our cruises with HAL.

And he/they know that we are but a minority of passengers that cruise HAL and our often diverse opinions are not necessarily reflective of the majority of HAL passengers. Regardless, I do enjoy the occasion he/they post as there is almost certainly going to be a controversy :)

People please - you need to follow the thread. There was a somewhat heated discussion going on about the couth or uncouthness of passengers staying in cheaper cabins. Someone had suggested that those economy passengers might not have the experience or sophistication to tip as well as other passengers. Someone else had taken offense at this generalization. As is often the case the comment was taken as a personal attack, rather than as the generalization it was probably meant to be.

My comments stated that despite any generalizations or assumptions made about who or why might be tipping less, it GENERALLY does happen EVERY week on EVERY mass market ship. Why is it that these people (generally) tip less? As I stated, despite whatever speculation was made by earlier posters (cheap, uncouth, etc) I haven't the faintest idea what is the real reason for it. I only know that it happens like clockwork, every week, regardless of any changes or improvements we try to make. And on the many mass market ships where I have worked, it is always the case that the punishment of choice for errant Cabin Stewards is an assignment to those cabins.

Now please put away that napalm for another day.

Incidentally, my $350.00 Hot Stones Massage at Canyon Ranch was well worth every penny (at least to me).

Heather,

Boy, the stewards on decks 6/7/8 that have half verandah cabins and half inside cabins must really get confused about where they stand! Their right hand is being rewarded while the left is being punished! :D

Post 56 was the turning point of this thread.

And the rest is history.

Hammybee, I have to be honest. I have not yet read that post. When posts get that long I admit I skim for "drift". Some are just too long and I don't have that kind of time:) .

So I picked up on the "theme" a bit later.

jtl, good point!!!:D

That's called a "dubbeltje" and was a little silver coin worth ten cents! They don't have them anymore - they have Euro coins now

Coop,

Yes I know what it is very well and have used many before there. Yes even when they had lots of public phones... The old Square Nickels...

I guess your a numismatologist .. thanks for your correction...:)

But I remember it was worth about an American Jefferson Nickel... :cool:

I lived on the River Lek in Gelderland, overlooking Utrecht each morning ..where our Presidents Wife earned her Doctorate (hoog de Catherine). Yes Mrs. Roosevelt's family was from the then Island of Tholen ..now part of the mainland..as was the Presidents..:eek:

I am sorry my spelling is not as well as yours is. I do not have the time available that you do. It is excellent to see such precision. I wonder how many frites you eat *S*:rolleyes:

It is nice to see people use good humor, no not the Ice Cream as you have.

Back on the subject matter..

Will HAL ever revert to what they had prior to the buyout by CCL:NYSE?

Boy, the stewards on decks 6/7/8 that have half verandah cabins and half inside cabins must really get confused about where they stand! Their right hand is being rewarded while the left is being punished! :D

Touche...LOL;) :) :)

Thank you JTL...You've made my day..

Heather & Hammybee..I also thank you both for your kind thoughts..

Happy cruising all..Betty

People please - you need to follow the thread. There was a somewhat heated discussion going on about the couth or uncouthness of passengers staying in cheaper cabins. Someone had suggested that those economy passengers might not have the experience or sophistication to tip as well as other passengers. Someone else had taken offense at this generalization. As is often the case the comment was taken as a personal attack, rather than as the generalization it was probably meant to be.

My comments stated that despite any generalizations or assumptions made about who or why might be tipping less, it GENERALLY does happen EVERY week on EVERY mass market ship. Why is it that these people (generally) tip less? As I stated, despite whatever speculation was made by earlier posters (cheap, uncouth, etc) I haven't the faintest idea what is the real reason for it. I only know that it happens like clockwork, every week, regardless of any changes or improvements we try to make. And on the many mass market ships where I have worked, it is always the case that the punishment of choice for errant Cabin Stewards is an assignment to those cabins..

I'm sorry Jim, but I do not buy your explanation...This is not the first time you have made these offensive generalizations..In post No. 60 you or perhaps it was one of your counterparts, posting under the same name, brought up the fact that those staying in the "Cheaper Cabins" were less likely to tip..And the cabin stewards consider it "purgatory" to work in those areas...

I chose not to get into the discussion before this, however since you continue to repeat these statements believe you should know that some of us are offended by your remarks..

I also don't believe that the Wonderful HAL Stewards consider it "purgatory" to take such good care of us & our cabins on those "Cheaper Decks"..

Happy cruising all..Betty

Archived