Houston building a "state of the art" cruise terminal?? (Merged threads)

CruisinOnWheels

Perhaps, as you say, the bayview would draw some people. I also think people would be drawn to an area where they could eat in close proximity to the cruise ships (God willing, we will have some!) as pull in and out.

I'm getting a bit concerned:( as the opening of the terminal draws near and NO cruise line has committed. They may have been waiting for a more definite opening date, but that problem appears to be becoming moot. When I see all the ships scheduling home ports in various areas of Florida and notiice how close in proximity those ports really are, I just wonder why, given the success of the Texas cruise market over the past few years, some cruise line isn't willing to spread their ships out a bit. I understand that cruise itineries, especially for the typical 7-day cruises, are limited from this area but look at the itineries of all those Florida sailings. They get pretty limited also. And I don't think the arguments that Texans drink beer instead of more expensive liquor and/or that we don't gamble enough are pretty weak. Many who cruise out of Texas ports aren't Texans but are the same people who use the other US ports.

I make my living from the POH and know alot of the big wigs from various committee's I have served on over the years. I really don't think they have an ace of their sleeves at this point. I think I would have picked up on some positive vibes over the last few months and I haven't felt a one. I just hope they do have something in the works. My gut feeling is that they probably will pull in RCCL but they will have to reimburse them for RCCL's expenditures in Galveston. Again I'm just a little fish in the big scheme of things and do not pretend to know POH business.

Okay, all you Houston Chronicle readers, anything new in today's paper? I always look forward to reading updates on this, THANKS to each of you for keeping us informed. Hopefully one day one of you can tell us about a cruise line signing some sort of contract for the new terminal!

It is my understanding that the priority is going to be container ships. The focus on Cruise ships will come later. Also, navigating rules on the channel going out onto the Gulf prohibit container ships from navigating in the channel at the same time a cruise ship is sailing in or out of port. How will this work out at the end, I do not know.

• 2 weeks later...

This was posted on our rollcall

I've been emailing the new Port of Houston Cruise Terminal in Bayport and I was provided the following to post, also I should be getting new info first hand when it becomes available for public knowledge.

Quote:

We are negotiating for new ships to sail from the area, hence the incentives tied to the cruise lines are tied to the age of the ship. We are working on attracting Inaugural Voyages on new ships. We are considered a secondary market, which is why you have normally seen older ships deployed into our region. We are working to change that.

Also, from the message boards, I notice that people don’t quite understand that Cruises are an economic development tool benefiting the non-manufacturing sector. As the Port of Houston, it is our job to attract new business into our region to benefit the region. The role of cruise is to diversify the portfolio of the types of SIC code businesses in the area. There is a huge shortage of full service hotels, restaurants, and shopping in Bay Area Houston. With the new cruise terminal and the container terminal, we are reducing the risk that the private sector will have to absorb by investing in the area. This is why Starwood Hotels (Westin Hotel) agreed to a joint venture full service hotel and conference center in Seabrook with Endeavour Condo. The 140 acre site of the Bayport Cruise Complex includes a 5 acre waterfront site (perfect for a Margaritaville) and an additional 40 acre retail co-development site. We plan to connect a water taxi from the Kemah Boardwalk to Bayport, and possibly connect other waterfront attractions on the water taxi route.

So, that is what we are doing with cruise, and why it was important to build a new cruise terminal, which by the way, is absolutely gorgeous, is 70% complete right now, and is extremely efficient for both the cruise guest and the shipside operations. For a cruise line, they decide where to go by determining where they can make the most money. So, the sales process is similar to convincing a company to move its headquarters to your city. And, historically, our market has not produced the way South FLA and NYC produces, and the market is very hot right now in Europe and South Pacific (why there is a huge deployment of over 50 ships in Europe in 2008 versus 16 in 2005-2008), hence the challenges. But, we are getting there, so I hope to be able to make an announcement soon, however, we can’t jump the gun and make any announcements until we have an okay to do so.

I will provide updates as I receive them............

I did not realize that was round trip, do you remember what ports they went to? The only reason I knew they went out of galveston is that ship was in port when I was going on my first cruise. Never researched it before. Just curious, I was thinking they may come back:confused:

We did a 12 day that went to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Costa Rica, Cristobol Pier Panama, Gatun locks of the Panama Canal and the lake, Montego Bay, and Key West. Grand Cayman had been devastated by a hurricane and was not open to ships so that's why Key West was on there. This was our first cruise ever, and we fell in love with Celebrity and cruising. Unfortunately, I don't see X returning for quite a while.

• 3 weeks later...

As a result of some rumors floating around on the RCCL board, I set up a Cruise Map showing the new Bayport Cruise Terminal. Nothing particularly new here, but if you are not familiar with my cruise maps, you may find it interesting to take a look.

You can get driving directions to the port (or any of the other markers) by clicking on the marker, or the link below the map, and then following the directions in the pop-up window.

Theron

so true

The fact of the matter is that lines commit themselves years in advance and contract with ports to use their facilities.

If Bayport wants cruise ships sooner it will take LARGE dollars to buy out contract and get ships relocated to Houston.

Realistically 2009 or 2010 is when we should expect to see ships show up at Bayport.

In the meantime, Carnival has targeted Galveston for capital improvements as it remains one of the most solid locations for the Carnival product.

• 3 weeks later...
The fact of the matter is that lines commit themselves years in advance and contract with ports to use their facilities.

If Bayport wants cruise ships sooner it will take LARGE dollars to buy out contract and get ships relocated to Houston.

Realistically 2009 or 2010 is when we should expect to see ships show up at Bayport.

In the meantime, Carnival has targeted Galveston for capital improvements as it remains one of the most solid locations for the Carnival product.

Just in Sunday Houston paper, Galveston has RCCL - Voyager signed up for 40 cruises over next 5 years. We were thinking this would end up in Bayport....... :confused:

Just in Sunday Houston paper, Galveston has RCCL - Voyager signed up for 40 cruises over next 5 years. We were thinking this would end up in Bayport....... :confused:

Yeah... that's a continuation of the current deal. It's 20 calls as year over a 5 year period with a total of 90...

I was surprised to see Galveston get it, as well. Perhaps it's due to the fact that the Bayport Cruise Terminal isn't open yet... dunno...

Tough break for Bayport, though...

We just came off the Voyager and the Captain had a Q&A session, and he answered the first question before it was asked, which was about the future of Galveston. He said as it stands right now is as it stands right now, nothing year round planned, but that as they build more ships they will need to move around and place other places, so depending on how Voyager does in Galveston . . . .

I then asked about Bayport and he said that right now there are absolutely no plans to go there, and that since it adds so much time to the already stretched sailing to get anywhere, it is very doubtful that Royal will ever go there. Sorry folks.

We just came off the Voyager and the Captain had a Q&A session, and he answered the first question before it was asked, which was about the future of Galveston. He said as it stands right now is as it stands right now, nothing year round planned, but that as they build more ships they will need to move around and place other places, so depending on how Voyager does in Galveston . . . .

I then asked about Bayport and he said that right now there are absolutely no plans to go there, and that since it adds so much time to the already stretched sailing to get anywhere, it is very doubtful that Royal will ever go there. Sorry folks.

I think that's one of the major concerns; transit times. Some of the faster ships might be able to manage it, like the Carnival Spirit class or the Holland America Vista class ships but would homeporting in Houston be cost effective otherwise?

Lots or questions to be answered, I suppose...

I'm not sure transit time to the new terminal is the issue. Maybe an hour or two. Pushing up departure time can offset that. My son is the Marine Manager of the adjacent new container port, when he gets back from vacation next week I will confirm the transit time with him. I know that the transit for vessels all the way to the turning basin downtown is 6 hours and think Barbours Cut is about half that.

I'm just telling you what the Captain said.

.....Pinkster....but is that what the Capt of the ship really meant. Bayport looks beautiful. I would personally rather sail from G-town, we live in League City too. For someone flying into Houston, IAH and Hobby are closer to Bayport. I can't believe the difference in cruising from Bayport and Galveston is that much difference. Heck, how long does it take to sail down from New Orleans til a ship hits the Gulf.....all night long from what I remember.

.....Pinkster....but is that what the Capt of the ship really meant. Bayport looks beautiful. I would personally rather sail from G-town, we live in League City too. For someone flying into Houston, IAH and Hobby are closer to Bayport. I can't believe the difference in cruising from Bayport and Galveston is that much difference. Heck, how long does it take to sail down from New Orleans til a ship hits the Gulf.....all night long from what I remember.

I hear ya...... and I actually think Bayport and Galveston are probably about the same distance to me on the East side of League City, so I don't really care except I would hope that Bayport would be easier for passenger loading and unloading. I had spoken with a RCCL staff member in their Oklahoma (or was it Kansas?) office not too long ago and he was saying that Bayport would actually save the company money on transfers.... not to mention there would be fewer complaints about the difficulty getting to and from the port from the airport. But again, I was just reporting what the Captain said.... and yes, it was very clear what he meant.

Just a guess, but it could be the difference between really being underway vs. having a pilot taking you through the channel to port..... as in much slower progress with a pilot in a channel. Obviously the trip up the channel to Bayport would be longer than from Galveston. Again, just a guess on my part..... all I know is the Captain of the Voyager said that RCCL has absolutely no plans at the moment of sailing out of Bayport.

Archived