Houston building a "state of the art" cruise terminal?? (Merged threads)

CruisinOnWheels

Those pictures in your sig line must take up a lot of storage space. Everytime I click on a thread of yours it takes a long time to open and sometimes freezes the screen.

Perhaps its time to get a new computer.;) I have 2 laptops and a desktop, all brand new and I have never had a problem with anything freezing up. Of course I have highspeed internet thru my cable. If you have dialup, well.....my heart goes out to ya.:)

Oh, thanks for the update!

Perhaps its time to get a new computer.;)

My computer is fairly new and I have DSL and I have the same problem. I thought it was just me and never said anything. To each his own, but it seems odd that people feel a need to put countdown clocks, pictures, the kitchen sink, etc. in their sig lines. There are a couple of people who pretty much take up a whole page in a thread with just a one word response! :)

My computer is fairly new and I have DSL and I have the same problem. I thought it was just me and never said anything. To each his own, but it seems odd that people feel a need to put countdown clocks, pictures, the kitchen sink, etc. in their sig lines. There are a couple of people who pretty much take up a whole page in a thread with just a one word response! :)

Go to USER CP

Edit Options

Thread Display Options

Take the check mark in the show signatures box out...

Presto! No more unwanted sigs taking up thread space...took me a while to figure this one out. Speeds things up quite a bit.:D

110105_emYA45_prv.giffolks, just trying to keep this forum and thread "neat & tidy".

There are posts here that are off topic. Please remember the Announcement from our Community Manager LauraS as follows:

A Community Guideline Reminder

From time to time, we like to ask our members to please take a moment to review our Community Guidelines here: Community Guidelines.

Cruise Critic is a moderated community focused on cruise travel. The foundation that continues to contribute to the popularity of Cruise Critic is fundamental: when you open a forum you should find information that is germaine to the subject. Please stay on topic within a forum.

Off topic posts that do not violate our Community Guidelines will be moved to our Floataway Lounge forum, or may be moved to a more appropriate forum.

Messages posted in Cruise Critic must conform to our Community Guidelines. Posts that violate these guidelines will be removed from the cruise boards without notice. Repeated violators will lose their posting privileges. We will automatically remove any subsequent inappropriate postings without warning. Please use good judgment in posting any message and ask yourself if your post adds to the community in a positive way.

Thank you for you help in ensuring that Cruise Critic remain the first place you check for real-time, honest cruise information from our members.

allships.gifLaura

Community Manager

community@cruisecritic.com

Cruise Critic

Also for your information, here is a previous Announcement from Laura concerning our signatures:

Signature "Housecleaning"

Once again, a bit of housecleaning seems to be order - there are plenty of messy signatures out there! Here are some tips for cleaning up your signatures:

- Keep your images to around three -- which would include a picture, clipart, photo or your countdown.

- Try not to have any one image that is TOO large, which then takes additional time for your fellow members to download,

- If you have a LONG LIST of prior cruises, think about chopping off some, OR rearrange them horizontally rather than vertically;

- Browse through your signature and eliminate any extra blank lines, or old countdown codes, etc.

Remember, not everyone is speeding along on DSL or cable modems, superfast processors etc. so a bit of cleaning up will help speed all of us along!

If you prefer, you can edit your options (Quick Links) so that you turn off everyone's signatures etc.

Hosts will be "strolling" around viewing signatures and, if yours is too long, we will either contact you and/or alter out anything "old or outdated".

Laura

allships.gifLaura

Community Manager

community@cruisecritic.com

Cruise Critic

Please remember the following information posted many places on the boards:

Questions, comments & concerns regarding the management of our message boards should be directed to: community@cruisecritic.com. Posts regarding these issues will be removed.

An e-mail to Management is the correct way for all members to get their questions, comments & concerns about Cruise Critic policies, technical matters or site feedback to a more beneficial place. Posting them on the boards does no good and clogs up the system with posts that have nothing to do with cruising.

Per Contact Us, e-mails re policies and site feedback go to community@cruisecritic.com. For technical matters, e-mails go to boards@cruisecritic.com. As stated in the Contact Us instructions, please remember to include your user name and e-mail of record. All e-mails are answered in the order received. With 288,186 members as I type this reply, and e-mails being received 24/7, please be patient for your reply.

Who knows? Your e-mail to Management with your questions, comments, concerns or suggestions about a situation may make a difference and be helpful to us all!!

Kat110105_emYA44_prv.gif

Go to USER CP

Edit Options

Thread Display Options

Take the check mark in the show signatures box out...

Presto! No more unwanted sigs taking up thread space...took me a while to figure this one out. Speeds things up quite a bit.:D

Fantastic! That gets rid of all the garbage. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I cant see the signatures. I might miss a few where folks say, see the link in my signature, but if you really need or want to see a specific signature you can change it back. I changed mine months ago, didnt take me long to change, signatures here are too long.

When you cant see the signatures, you see a lot more posts per page.

Back on topic......does anyone know anything new about the Houston port?? Any progress they can see on the building....any rumors of cruiselines coming??

... When you cant see the signatures, you see a lot more posts per page...

Also, you can do the following:

• Click User CP or Quick Links
  • Click Edit Options
  • Scroll down to the Thread Display Options section
  • Use the drop down menu in the Number of Posts to Show Per Page box
  • Choose from Use Forum Default up to Show 40 Posts Per Page
  • Click Save Changes

While you are there in Edit Options, look around and see if there is anything else you might want to change.

I hope this information will be helpful for those not aware.

Kat110105_emYA11_prv.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Per Community Guidelines:

Please do not manipulate postings on the boards by "bumping" topics to the top of the forum. Members will assume something of value has been posted, only to find that the newest posting is nothing more than a "bump post". This only wastes everyone's time.

Don't worry folks, as long as I am here, any info I see concerning the new terminal will be either posted on this thread or moved to this thread.

Y'all can help too! Any time you see something anywhere on the boards and you feel it should be somewhere else, please feel free to use the red triangle icon. Click the red triangle icon on the post or the first post of a thread if the whole thread should be moved. The Report Post screen will open. Type your request message in the text box, then click the Send Report button. The resulting e-mail will go to all hosts/moderators assigned to the post or thread's forum for review, or all administrators if there are no hosts/moderators assigned to that particular forum. Also, the e-mail will automatically show the forum name, your user name & e-mail address, post title & link, thread title & link as well as your request message. If your report is valid, one of the hosts/moderators assigned to the forum or administrators will act on it, when they can.

I say, "... when they can..." since all e-mails or Report Post e-mails to Cruise Critic are answered in the order of receipt. With 292,362 members as I type this reply and e-mails being received 24/7, please be patient for any action.

Regarding any Internet information, please remember to post the link only, no copy/paste of text due to our Copyright Infringements section in the Community Guidelines.

Sorry 'bout more "Help Desk" type info again, but I feel the information is important for all of us interested in this thread's topic. Especially those not aware of all the uses for the Report Post feature or the posting of information from the Internet. Now we can all work together to make sure we are aware of any new information.

And now... back to our regularly scheduled program...

Your humble servant,

Kat 050103cat_prv.gif

I too would like to see a cruise line come into Bayport. I also think that a lot of the older more affordable ships would have came into Houston but they are being deployed to south america and asia due to the new safety requiements that take affect between now and 2010 which would require a costly modification. When more ships are built, there will be more interest in us.

Personally, I dont see the difference in asking if there is new news as some do and saying you are bumping?? :(

Lots of these posts dont have new news, we know the ships are deployed elsewhere that could be in Houston, but we are all anxious to know if anyone has heard how the building of the port is going? Is it still at a standstill, there are monthly meeting, has anyone been to one who lives in Houston?

Every post asking a question is bumping a thread. I live in Dallas, so of course want to hear about the new port and if ships are coming back to Texas.

Pretty fine line if you ask me between asking a question and bumping a thread....wouldnt use that word again since its against the rules. Not every post is adding information though??!! The questions are sincere nonetheless.

Thanks, Host Kat:)

BTW-last rumor I heard, just this morning, was that RCL was really looking at the new terminal. They have concern with the turning basin in Galveston for the Voyager. Maybe this is a part of the Voyager full time in Texas (from the fall of 2008) rumors. Who knows?

... Is it still at a standstill, there are monthly meeting, has anyone been to one who lives in Houston?...

The next Port of Houston Authority Commission meeting is Tuesday, September 25, 2007 @ 9:00 AM. There is a sign-in sheet if you want to have up to 3 minutes speaking time in the public comment session.

Port of Houston Authority

1111 East Loop North

Houston, TX 77029

Click here for more info: http://www.portofhouston.com/publicr.../meetings.html

Kat

I spoke to Kay Adams with the Port of Houston today. As of right now they are 60% finished with the new Cruise Terminal. They are looking to have it complete by April or May 2008 and to open Fall 2008.

To answer any questions regarding which cruise line is coming in is premature right now she told me since there will be a lot of ships to be moved around portwise by the time they open. They are talking with NCL, maybe Princess for 2009 and by 2112 there is a possibility RCCL with a Genesis class ship out of Houston.

We will have to wait and see. It would be great to board for a cruise in Houston but I would drive to Galveston too!:)

I spoke to Kay Adams with the Port of Houston today. As of right now they are 60% finished with the new Cruise Terminal. They are looking to have it complete by April or May 2008 and to open Fall 2008.

To answer any questions regarding which cruise line is coming in is premature right now she told me since there will be a lot of ships to be moved around portwise by the time they open. They are talking with NCL, maybe Princess for 2009 and by 2112 there is a possibility RCCL with a Genesis class ship out of Houston.

We will have to wait and see. It would be great to board for a cruise in Houston but I would drive to Galveston too!:)

Thanks for the info.

I bet NCL is first since they were at Barbours Cut. Then Princess for winter of 2009.

Thanks so much for the info. on Bayport. Since I'm in the area, I try to drive by every week or so and the construction of the terminal building is, as you reported, progressing fairly quickly. It was reported recently that more money is being put into the port facility at Bayport, Although nothing appears to be directly tied to the cruise terminal, the added funds are providing for dredging deeper for larger ships which can't help but increase the possibility of getting one of the newest/largest/Genesis-type ships sent here at some point.

Like Snoozeman, I'm betting that NCL will be coming in as soon as the terminal is operational - and bringing in a larger ship than they had at Barbour's Cut.

• 5 weeks later...

There was an article today (Sunday) in the Houston Chronicle travel section about the new terminal. "Expected completion" is February of next year. They said they have no commitments though for a ship. Further, it stated the best we could hope for would be fall of 2008/spring 2009 since itineraries are already published but "things" do happen like having to repositiion ships due to a hurricane wiping out a port. They also said that they have been encouraging the suits from the various cruise lines to come visit and said several have and liked what they saw.

Another thing I thought interesting is they may push it being a port stop. I really don't see that happening though. It would be like Calica in that there is absolutely nothing there to see so you would have to take an excursion. That would help their bottom line (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Here is the piece referenced above: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/shattuck/5185867.html

It seems like a twist on the old phrase... what if I built a cruise terminal and nobody came???

I still find it remarkable that a facility like that could lie fallow for two, three or even five years. The upkeep alone must be extraordinary.

I surely would be nice to have a newer, better planned facility than the one in Galveston but it seems to be quite a struggle getting cruise lines committed.

I read the Houston Chronical artical and have to agree with you. To leave such a fine facility fallow would be criminal. But the lines are committed until Fall 08 or Spring 09 at the earliest. The completion date on the new facility changed several times and with the completion date now finalized the Cruise lines now have a firm date to work with. I'm sure there will be a line stepping up in the near future. Let's hope it's a good one.

Please continue to post any information from the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, magazines, etc. concerning the thread topic. However, please remember the following from the Community Guidelines:

Copyright Infringements

The posting of large blocks of text obtained from the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. You may LINK via url to the information.

However, Cruise Line press releases are welcome on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

Thanking you all in advance for your understanding and the continuing support for this thread,

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived