Century vs Grandeur

SusieV

I have been on Granduer and am booked on Century next month.

Granduer is older and has not been refurbed in a long time. There are no specialty restaurants onboard. Food and service will not compare. The ship will be more crowded (space to passenger ratios), the cabins are smaller.

Century will be a more formal and traditional experience. She is a great size (I have sailed on her sister and very much prefer this size ship) and has just emerged from a massive refurb. Passengers will dress for dinner as requested, service is more European, they have Sommeliers in the dining room, and dinner and service overall is a large step up on X.

Century has the Aqua Spa, another no charge dining option which I have enjoyed on other X ships.

Much more likely to be a ton of kids on RCI.

Less frenetic activity on Century and fewer sidewalk sales, etc, that seem to have become an integral part of the RCI experience these days.

For my time and money, I would not consider Granduer over Century period.

If you are a dedicated Celebrity cruiser, you might not like Grandeur. I think the ships are about the same size w/about the same amenities. However, a 7 day cruise for the price of a 5 day is a good deal. The food is not comparable but the service was very good. The rooms were the same size but the bathrooms were smaller on GOTS, esp the shower. Century now has balconies which it did not before. GOTS does have them.

GOTS has a multi story atrium w/glass elevators which is very pretty. I have not been on Century since its refit but liked it very much back in 1998 when we sailed her. At the time we sailed RCCL, (the only time was on Grandeur) we chose it for the itinerary which was better than the Galaxy's at the time.

I'm not sure if my review from 2001 is still on this board for GOTS.

If you love to cruise, how can you have a bad time anywhere?

Granduer carries 600 more pax than the Century and you will definitely feel the difference.

IMO, RCI has gone downhill a bunch over the past five years and I no longer cruise with them, despite the perks as a Diamond Plus with 48 cruises.

While X has suffered a bit in quality over the years, it is still a more premium experience than RCI IMO.

s.gif Maiden Voyage: December 14, 1996

Passenger Capacity: 2,446

Godmother: Aviva Ofer

Gross Tonnage: 74,000

Length: 916'

Beam: 106'

Draft: 25'

Cruising Speed: 22 knots

Century:

Occupancy: 1808

Tonnage: 71,545

Length: 815 feet

Beam: 105 feet

Draught: 25

Cruisespeed: 21.5knot

Inaugural Date: Dec 20, 1995

spacer.gifspacer.gif

We thought the Grandeur was a BEAUTIFUL ship. The food was much better than X. IMHO

At the CC get together on Grandeur they provided a nice party with prizes to raffle. On X we brought our own gifts to exchange at the get together.

Other than that we did not notice much difference, and had a great time on both. :)

Granduer carries 600 more pax than the Century and you will definitely feel the difference.

IMO, RCI has gone downhill a bunch over the past five years and I no longer cruise with them, despite the perks as a Diamond Plus with 48 cruises.

While X has suffered a bit in quality over the years, it is still a more premium experience than RCI IMO.

s.gif Maiden Voyage: December 14, 1996

Passenger Capacity: 2,446

Godmother: Aviva Ofer

Gross Tonnage: 74,000

Length: 916'

Beam: 106'

Draft: 25'

Cruising Speed: 22 knots

Century:

Occupancy: 1808

Tonnage: 71,545

Length: 815 feet

Beam: 105 feet

Draught: 25

Cruisespeed: 21.5knot

Inaugural Date: Dec 20, 1995

spacer.gifspacer.gif

I agree 100% with Caviargal on this one! We've sailed both the Granduer of the Seas and the Century (twice). Celebrity offers much better cuisine, service and "bang for the buck". We have pretty much given up on RCI.

Good luck!

Kel

For us the itinerary is most important, RCCL or Celebrity, they are both very good for us. I may choose for 2 days more instead of 5 days on the Century.

Oke, you'll "miss" sommeliers, a lot more waiters carrying your plate, but the food is in my opinion not better on Celebrity. Choose for a longer cruise, just my 0.02...

Sailed on both (Century 2x, GOS 1x) and enjoyed both. I thought the food was marginally better on X but I enjoyed most of my meals on RCI. The one thing I didn't like about GOS (and from what I'm gathering many of the RCI ships are the same way) is that the buffet area is in the front of the ship on one of the higher decks and boy did that make for some rocky meals :eek: . We sailed in Feb 2005 from Tampa to Grand Cayman and Cozumel and boy was it bumpy at breakfast and lunch.

We enjoyed both ships and would not hesitate to go on either again, but I have to say that 7 days for the $$$ of 5 would be the deciding factor for me!!!

I am new with Celebrity...... cruising on the Century April 2007. One question, what is 'sommeliers". Thanks for the help.

Hi MitzSea, welcome to Celebrity:)

The Wine Sommeliers are the Wine Stewards, their job is

all about the vino;)

Enjoy your cruise:)

Archived