Just got a nice surprise

Orcrone

While I was sitting here reading posts on this board I got a call from my mother who lives in Florida. Next year around spring break she turns 75 and decided she wants to take my family and my brother's family on a cruise to celebrate.

YIPPEE!!!!!!

Marie,

I have to check when the kids' spring break occurs, usually Easter week. She lives about 40 minutes north of Fort Lauderdale, so we're figuring on something leaving out of there or Miami for 7 days. So it will most likely be eastern or western Caribbean.

My mom figures that Carnival will have a few too many kids for her during spring break. I tend to agree. She was thinking Royal Caribbean or possibly NCL if we want a more casual experience. So I guess I have some research to do.

ORCRONE

MY BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When do we leave *LOL*

Thats terrific. Have a great time . Keep us posted as to when and where.

I'm guessing that my extended family just extended quite a bit more.:D

Marie,

I have to check when the kids' spring break occurs, usually Easter week. She lives about 40 minutes north of Fort Lauderdale, so we're figuring on something leaving out of there or Miami for 7 days. So it will most likely be eastern or western Caribbean.

My mom figures that Carnival will have a few too many kids for her during spring break. I tend to agree. She was thinking Royal Caribbean or possibly NCL if we want a more casual experience. So I guess I have some research to do.

I would recommend Celebrity.

There are :

1)Century(my favourite ship) - Eastern Caribbean 4/16/05

Great itinerary(see my signature), food, ambiance , service!!!

2)Millenium (many rave about this "M" class) - Eastern Caribbean 4/17/05

(Celebrity is also less formal than people think.)

If we didn't book Mercury(Century sister) for California Coastal for 4/17/05 we would be on Century or Millie.

Thanks Tatka,

We'll definitely have to check that out. I've cruised with Carnival, Royal Caribbean and pretty soon with HAL also. I'd like to try out different lines. I just called the school. I guess Easter is early next year. Spring break is the week of March 28 (my mom's birthday)!

How wonderful Marc! What a way to celebrate Mom's special day.

As someone who's experienced Spring Break on both Carnival and RCCL, your mom is correct on the Carnival portion. However.. RCCL is now more family oriented than from years ago so you will have a huge amount of children on board on that line too (800 on my last sailing the week before Easter).

Both are great for families with young children. If your mom isn't used to many small children playing, screaming, horseplaying and just being kids.. Then you may want to consider Celebrity, HAL or Princess where the number of children are of a more manageable amount. However, if RCCL is the way to go, select one of the Voyager ships and book early for best pricing. Don't forget to update your C&A if you haven't done so already to get the coupon books onboard and the magazine for coupons on sailings.

;) Are you looking for another sister?:D What a nice Mom you have!
Lois,

My mom only had three sons. She was thrilled when her granddaughter was born. So I'll run it by her. You never know.

Thanks Tatka,

We'll definitely have to check that out. I've cruised with Carnival, Royal Caribbean and pretty soon with HAL also. I'd like to try out different lines. I just called the school. I guess Easter is early next year. Spring break is the week of March 28 (my mom's birthday)!

Check www.i-cruise.com as they have very convinient search system. I always use it just to see all schedules for different ships.

For more info on Century, ask Lois R :) she is the biggest Century fan I know.

Century prices:

I don't know how many cabins your mom is planning to book but rates for 3rd/4th passengers for that week on Century are $331 including tax!!!

I noticed they rased 1st/2nd prices a bit it used to be $600 for a week and now it's $700 (for lowest inside) but it's still well worth it IMHO.

Millenium prices:

Millenium still shows $681 with tax for 1st/2nd pax and $435 for 3rd/4th .

Century has a bit better itenirary as it has St. Maarten instead of Casa de Campo(DR).

I would go on either in New York minute.:)

Maureen,

I agree with what you say about the number of kids on a cruise during spring break. On these boards it seems that HAL even had hundreds of kids. But I'd guess that HAL, Celebrity and Princess would be less than Carnival or RCCL. There seem to be a number of Costa cruises out of FLL at that time. Does anyone know much about them.

BTW, what is C&A?

On Century last year in July we had about 300 kids and about 150 were older teens. Kids activities were probably very well orginized because I didn't see kids wandering around looking for trouble.

On formal nights they had speciall pizza party for kids and free activities up to 1 AM.

Tatka,

My mom would just be her and her husband. My brother would be him and his partner. My family is DW and two teenage daughters. I'm sure she'll go for all doubles but if not I'll be more than happy to pay the extra. After a week in a cabin with the two of them I'd need a vacation.

I looked at the Millenium. It's itinerary is San Juan and St. Thomas, which I'll be visiting in November and Nassau which I'm not sure I'm too interested in from what I've read. On the other hand, I've probably been to most of the islands we may be visiting, and it beats staying home.

My mom has a TA she loves. I'll probably just let them take care of the arrangements.

Thanks for the help.

Marc

That is such happy news and I'm very happy for you.

How wonderful your Mom will spend her special day with her family on a fabulous cruise....does it get much better than that?

Keep us posted as your plans progress.

If you need any more sisters......:D

I would also suggest looking at the Zuiderdam. The larger vista class ship will be a different experience from your upcoming Maasdam cruise. You'll have some kids, but I don't think there will be an overflow. With any line, it depends on how many spring breaks are at the same time. You can book while on board the Maasdam for shipboard credits. You just might give it some thought.

Marc:) let me know what she says....I will be ready next year...whatever week you choose:D

Life is funny...my parents had 3 daughters!

Jim,

That's a great suggestion for the Zuiderdam. After booking on the Maasdam she could transfer it to her agent. I wonder if we could get the credits for everyone in the party for the spring break cruise, or if it would just be for DW and I.

Hello Marc,

You may want and have a look at the following site. www.CruiseOnly.com

All the cruise companies are listed and will give you 360o videos of all the ship.

By the way...I always keep a bag packed, so have mom call when she is ready to go.:cool: You ALL enjoy yourselves:D

Marc,

We are booked on the Westerdam for Easter week (3/27) with 4 teens. We have sailed RCCL, Princess & HAL. HAL had the least amount of kids during breaks, but still quite a few. This was a compromise with the kids. I was surprised at the great prices I got for this cruise. We'll be doing the Western Carib. Email me & I'll give you the particulars, if you like.

Whatever is decided I'm sure you'll have a great time. Happy sailing1

Marc-

Please check out the Volendam sailing on 3/20/04 - we are looking closely at that one - and yesterday doone posted they are booked on it as well!

What a blast that would be!

Archived