New Zealand - Crystal or Regent?

shedridt

My husband & I have a tentative booking on a Crystal cruise to Australia New Zealand for February 2008 (it's sooner than you think???) & I see that Regent sails there, although in November & December this year. I hate to be tedious & continue the Crystal vs Regent debate, but at about $5500 for 12 days on Crystal vs about $8500 for 14 days on Regent I'm curious as to how the two ships compare. Number for Regent could be off a bit, but the Crystal number is accurate for a non-veranda stateroom. I realize that this in itself is reflected in pricing.

Just what does all-inclusive mean on Regent? I've read some brochures & am still not clear. Are any land tours included?

As an aside, this was our first Crystal cruise & we liked it very much - Serenity, crew & fellow passengers. Happily the kvetching over real or imagined slights on the Crystal Board was not at all reflective of the passengers we met on our cruise, all of whom were people I, at least, would like to know in real life :) .

Haven't made that trip, but have talked to many that have and have cruised Regent extensively. First, you have to compare apples to apples. Crystal still requires tipping and they nickel and dime you to death for everything. Therefore, you have to factor all of that in and add it to the price. Second, from what I have heard, you would definitely want a balcony on that cruise and Mariner is all balcony with suites much larger than what you're talking about on Crystal. I am not knocking Crystal; it's a good line. The all-inclusive starting in 2007 means just what it says. All drinks, including wine and liquor at dinner, 24 hour room service, etc. It does not include tours; nor does any other line that I know of. Of course, you have fixed seating dining on Crystal as well. We don't like that.

Just for the record Crystal does not nickle and dime you for everything. They do expect you to pay for alcohol. Tipping is never required and a person who went on Crystal and never tipped one dime would never be able to say he/she was treated like a second class guest just because he never tipped. I prefer to pay for my own booze when and where I want it. Certainly no one here thinks for a second they they aren't paying for their booze. Included means already paid for doesn't it?

I don't know anyone who doesn't know Regent has the best staterooms in the cruise business. If you gonna stay in your room alot you can't ignore how nice the staterooms Regent has to offer.

Some people really like eatting at the same table with the same wait staff every night. Friendships have been made that last forever. People here on Regent board are going to tell you how wonderful Regent really is and the same on the Crystal board. Get the facts and sail with whomever you feel will be right for you. I don't think you can go wrong either way. cruzpro

We've done 24 days on Crystal and 50 days on Regent. You can't compare lowest priced rooms to get a realistic comparison. A basic Regent room would be a suite on Crystal and that really increases your fare. Service and food on Crystal may be slightly better but I prefer open seating at diner. If you like a more structured formal cruise go for Crystal. We prefer the relaxed atmosphere on Regent.

We did this last year on Regent (though it was on the Voyager since it was a segment of the World Cruise). It was a fantastic trip in all regards and you won't regret it regardless of which cruise line you select. I would definitely suggest you get a balcony cabin. You will have beautiful, warm sunny weather (hopefully, we sure did). I have never cruised on Crystal so can't compare the two lines. I have cruised on lines where we had set dining hours and this is a deal breaker to me. I like to eat when, where, and with whom I feel like. If you want the same waiter each night this is fine, just request his section. I love having the 4 dining venues to chose from, actually 5 when you consider you can get the full dinner (including a bottle of wine) as room service as well. All inclusive is nice. No signing checks, no trying to keep things even-steven with who bought the last round etc. My strongest recommendation is to have a balcony cabin! (If you chose Regent Mariner, they all have balconies and walk-in closets)

Congratulations! You will be seeing a beautiful part of the world!

All drinks, including wine and liquor at dinner
Could you clarify - are drinks at a bar or lounge included?

Also, in regard to open seating, my husband and I prefer to dine at a table for two. How abundant are tables for two?

Crytstal nickel and diming is an absolute fallacy. We took our 2nd Crystal cruise in Sept and with a good travel agency that belongs to a consortium we were given $700 in shipboard credit which paid for wine at dinner, 2 shore excursions, extra tips, and purchases in the 2 shops on board.

We were also given paid gratuties, a private cocktail party and a beautiful flower arrangement. It cost us nothing extra on board.

We don't pay for ice cream, bottled water, soda, iced tea or any speciality coffee. In fact at the Nice airport they had someone putting in euros in the baggage carts. The service and food is unbelievable. I'll take Crystal any day.

Having sailed on both lines, I would say they are both very good in their on way. RSSC is a bit more relaxed but lacks in the "I can do attitude." The RSSC suites are unmatched by any cruise line and the wine and cocktails at dinner which are not part of Crystal is a plus.

That being said, with the right TA you can receive on Crystal pre-paid gratuities plus on-board credits if you are a AMEX Centurion you will receive $500.00 or Platinum $250.00 <correct me if I am Wong> and depending on the agency a complimentary shore excursion usually including lunch or dinner. Crystal has many cocktail parties that are open to all. If you like to drink Crystal is not a problem.

We are taking the crossing from FCO-FLL on the Voyager and looking forward to it. We are not going to compare the two lines as we know they offer different amenities. We hope that REGENT has made some changes in regards to customer service...i.e. a simple request for ice, or may we have shrimp instead of chips and salsa in our suite in a butlered cabin. Or in any suite for that matter. Six star service should be across the board regardless of suite size.

Looking at the 2007 RSSC prices they are on a par with Seaborne and Silver Sea, Crystal. Perhaps they will include caviar like the others without the $35.00 charge. Hopefully Crystal will become all inclusive as well.

To the OP, I just wanted to share some thoughts on this. I had similar questions a couple of years ago when I was looking at alternate cruise lines in the Luxury category.

The good news is that both lines are highly rated by past passenger's and those in the travel industry and therefore offer a nice cruising experience.

Trying to compare the costs of any two lines in the same category can be difficult because no two lines are identical; in terms of what they have to offer from entertainment, to accommodations, food, etc. As you correctly noted when looking at these two lines each is somewhat different. For example, Regent is known for certain attributes such as having larger cabins and Crystal is know for attributes such as its evening entertainment, service, etc.

When I was looking at an all inclusive line (Seabourn) vs. Crystal initially I tried to value the inclusive tipping and the inclusive alcohol to try to get a feel for the pricing. And I tried to value this based on our own experiences. For example, in our particular case normally our TA's consortium group is able to provide pre-tipping for us and if that's the case for the specific cruise/itininerary we are going on then I adjust things accordingly and if not I do likewise. Again, there will be some differences after that given that each cruise is different as I had mentioned. But, I was trying to get a ballpark figure.

In the end here's what I did.

1. I thought very carefully about the itinerary of each line and the dates. If neither of these was an issue I thought about the next couple of items.

2. I read many of the cruise critic posts for the line that I was not familiar with to get a feel for what passenger's thought. And, I looked for consistency. If 90% of more of the posts were favorable about an item or unfavorable about an item I thought that was compelling.

3. I read the writeup in the Ocean Cruising Book published by Berlitz and written by Douglas Ward. I think it provides some good information to consider. This book is updated annually.

4. I corresponded with a few people from cruise critic (by e mail) who had sailed both lines just to pick their brains.

In the end, decide if the timing and the itineraries for both cruises work for you. If they do then go to the next step the pricing. As I said you won't be able to make it totally apples to apples but you can cost out each cruise to see if pricing makes either one cost prohibitive. Then if they are both even try to identify if either line has strengths over the other and then decide hich if any are more important to you. And, then if all is equal decide whether there is any risk for you and your husband in trying a line that you've never sailed on vs. one that you've sailed on before.

But, my biggest recommendation is not to agonize about your decision. Once you make your decision focus on what a great time you will have on either cruise.

Obviously, both lines must be doing somehting right as they both get high ratings and they both have many past passenger's who are passionate about their cruising experiences. And, just like anything else in life there are some people who have tried each line who didn't like it as much as the others which is why I try to use what I consider the 90% rule when I read the boards.

The good news is that you are looking at a wonderful itinerary and highly rates cruise lines.

Keith

As luck would have it I received a brochure from RSSC yesterday & see that they offer $1500 pp off on this particular cruise. This brings the pppd charges for RSSC below Crystal's on an absolute basis, even before you add in RSSC's all inclusive features. RSSC is beginning to look more attractive, although we (or rather I, not so much my husband who does not appreciate how wonderful he looks in a tux) like some things about Crystal that might not necessarily be there on RSSC. We actually like eating with the same people as we make friends more easily that way, but that is not a deal breaker by any means. And like others we were not troubled by any feeling of being nickled & dimed on Crystal. In fact, we loved the whole experience & would sale Crystal again in a heartbeat.

But timing could be an issue. Is the weather going to be better in NZ in November or February, do you think? Anybody from ANZAC out there?

And MANY thanks to all who replied.

I have only been to New Zealand and Australia between January 21 and February 15th and the weather was simply perfect, warm and sunny but never too hot. I didn't experience one day of rain. This is the equivalent of June/July. November would be Spring time there (April here) and should be nice as well but not as warm as in February.

I don't believe anyone has has responded about seating for two. We prefer tables for two and have not had a problem on RSSC (Voyager or PG) with getting a table without waiting.

February is a beautiful month "down under" -- and the balconies are truly wonderful. While there are certainly great views from many areas of a ship, nothing beats sitting on your own balcony -- sipping a drink and either sitting out on the balcony or having the sliding glass doors open and feeling the fresh ocean breeze. (Can't wait for our next cruise -- on the Navigator in March).

Prior to this week, I heard very positive things about Crystal cruises. However, since Regent won the Conde Nast large ship category (by only 1/4 of a point), I've seen some rude comments from Crystal passengers. Think I'll stick with Regent and perhaps try some other highly rated ships before I cruise with passengers who have been "Crystalized" and have attitude problems.

Enjoy your cruise..........;)

We were on the Australia/NZ cruise on Regent last November, and it was fantastic. The weather was great except for one day in Christchurch, and that wasn't a complete rain-out. It was also a food and wine special cruise which meant we had wine tastings of Australian and New Zealand wines and cooking demonstrations from well-known chefs representing the region. There was a great overnight excursion to Queenstown available also. Should you decide on Regent, I'd be happy to give you more details. I also posted a photo album of our experience. Feel free to drop me a line at dreps@comcast.net. Our TA happened to be from New Zealand, which also was an added bonus.

I

Prior to this week, I heard very positive things about Crystal cruises. However, since Regent won the Conde Nast large ship category (by only 1/4 of a point), I've seen some rude comments from Crystal passengers. Think I'll stick with Regent and perhaps try some other highly rated ships before I cruise with passengers who have been "Crystalized" and have attitude problems.

Enjoy your cruise..........;)

In fairness, I would not correlate the recent ratings of the cruise lines by Conde Nast with comments made on Crystal or any of the cruise line boards for that matter. And I don't think it's fair to say that the folks have attitude problems.

The reality is that as is the case with most other things in life people take pride in their preferences. For example, those who sail on a cruise line with open seating and who prefer that might make the comment from time to time that they would never cruise on a cruise line with fixed seating. Does that make them snobs? No, rather they are expressing their opinion. Another analogy is the fact that many passenger who frequently cruise on Seabourn will say that they would never cruise on a large cruise ship. And, to many of them large might be defined as a ship greater than 300 or 400 passengers. Does that make them snobs? In reality no. They are just expressing their opinion.

Same goes for automobiles. How many times do we meet someone who say I would only drive this brand of car and I would never drive that other brand. And so forth. And many times they will give a very positive opinion as they take pride in their selection. I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that they are snobs.

Clearly, there are some cruise lines who have passenger's who either exclusively cruise their line or cruise with their line for most of their sailings. And, these passenger's take pride in the cruise line they select. And, sometimes when someone who has not cruised on that particular line says something negative about that line, just as the pride in one takes when a family member is being criticized, they will come to the defense of their favorite cruise line. I read several of the cruise line boards often and this is something that is consistent on the boards. Again, I have always seen this as pride not anything else. And, what I have found on each board is that if someone posts negative comments about the line (particularly if they have never cruised the line) then many will push back on those comments. I don't interpret this as anything else than people taking pride in what they enjoy.

I post and read several cruise boards often. Crystal and Seabourn are good examples of that and my wife and I have had an outstanding time on each of the cruise lines. And, each one is different from the type of entertainment and on-board activities they can each offer based on their respective sizes, to open vs set seating, to this vs. that....

And I just want to say that those who post often on the Crystal board have gone out of the way to help my wife and me over the years with excellent advice and I have been fortunate to have sailed with a number of them. And I'm sure the same can be said about this board and all of the others that I read on a regular basis.

Regardless of which cruise line(s) that each of the posters favor, those of us who cruise often are verry fortunate that we are in the positiion of being able to cruise. And, for those of us who can talk about cruising on say a Regent, Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn we are even more fortunate than most.

Keith

Having sailed all the luxury lines over the past two years, the cabins are great on Regent, the atmosphere relaxed. I have to say I enjoyed the open dinning over Crystals regimented dinning times. Also, I felt I had to tip on Crystal, though unspoken, everyone I knew tipped and should unless its specifically outlined that its not appropriate. The basic Crystal cabins are tiny in comparison to the basic suite on Regent and Silversea, though everyone says you spend no time in your cabin, save that line for those sailing budget lines, for like dollars I'll take the larger more luxurious cabin. Overall Regent felt like a country club, Crystal a high end mainstream cruise line from the old days (great, if that is what you are looking for and looking to spend like $$$ on). Honestly, only the value collection cruises on Crystal are worth it with their onboard structure.

I took part of the Crystal World cruise in 04. I found the tipping policy to be ridiculous. The staff paid so much more attention to annual world cruisers it really put a bad taste in my mouth. That mind you was the World Cruise and I have heard that may not be the case the rest of the time. But with so many other high end inclusive lines out there I will give them a try next

I have to say the rooms are small on Crystal which is fine for a short cruise but if you spend a month in one they really get to be cramped, even for single traveler.

The Internet charges were very expensive, but I did like being able to access the net in my room. It was very fast connection for a ship at sea allowing me to do things that required a high speed connection.

We recently booked the Sydney-Aukland segment of Mariner's 2007 Grand Asian Pacific Circle for November, and are very excited about it! What I've read here reinforces that we made a good decision.

I've never sailed Crystal, but have many friends who love the line, and are as brand-loyal as we are to Regent. I do hope to sail Crystal sometime in the future, and make some comparisons for myself.

Happy cruising, all!

Archived