Transfers from LAX to San Pedro

pisces223

Hi Tom:

I was hoping that you would read this post. I noticed that you were from Long Beach, and you might have an answer to my question.

You do not have an email address posted.

We are staying at Coast Hotel in Long Beach at 700 Queensway, and would like to visit the Harley Davidson Store at 1517 Pacific Coast Hwy in Harbor City.

We have searched and found that bus 232 will take us there.

Can you shed any more info about this if you are aware of it.

We fly into LAX air port, and are either going to take Super Shuttle or Prime Time. Have not decided as yet which one, and don't if it is better to telephone them, or book via internet.

It would have been nice to fly into the airport in Long Beach, but as you mentioned there are no international flights.

Hi Tom:

I was hoping that you would read this post. I noticed that you were from Long Beach, and you might have an answer to my question.

You do not have an email address posted.

We are staying at Coast Hotel in Long Beach at 700 Queensway, and would like to visit the Harley Davidson Store at 1517 Pacific Coast Hwy in Harbor City.

We have searched and found that bus 232 will take us there.

Can you shed any more info about this if you are aware of it.

We fly into LAX air port, and are either going to take Super Shuttle or Prime Time. Have not decided as yet which one, and don't if it is better to telephone them, or book via internet.

It would have been nice to fly into the airport in Long Beach, but as you mentioned there are no international flights.

I just double checked bus schedules, and you are right, that is do-able. A couple of things to remember, that bus is an MTA bus, not a Long Beach Transit Bus. You would first have to get to the Long Beach Transit Mall, where MTA 232 starts. I haven't checked yet but there is probably a Long Beach Transit bus near your hotel that will take you there, as it is too far to walk to. Check http://www.lbtransit.com/

Also that 232 goes through some not so nice areas, and buses in So. Cal. are mostly used by down and outers.

Another alternative: That motorcycle shop is on the direct route from LAX to Long Beach. You might consider taking a taxi from LAX instead of a shuttle and stopping at the shop. It would be kind of weird to show up there with all your luggage though. But then you could call a taxi from the shop and go on to your hotel. If you were considering just spending a few minutes there you could have the taxi wait for you (with meter running), then you could leave your luggage in the taxi. I would guess that a taxi from LAX to your hotel would be in the $50 -$60 range (not counting any delays at the shop).

By the way, I don't know if you are aware of it, but West Coast Choppers is located in Long Beach. This famous shop is featured on one of the TV shows on custom mororcycles. It is located on Anaheim St. near where it crosses the 710 freeway, not a nice area, but much easier to get to than the shop you mentioned.

Thanks Tom for your reply.

I was trying to get your attention, and it worked out this time. Please ignore the other post in case you come across it. It was a few days back.

We did notice the West Coast Chopper store, but thought that it was closed.

Thanks for your suggestions, we will check it out. I have not booked the shuttle yet. Was going to do that next week. The taxi on the way to the store sounds good.

Probably we will be an hour or so in the store, so we could then get another taxi to the hotel.

Cruiseonly: Since you are staying at the Coast Hotel, you might be interested in the water taxi, called the Aqua Bus, that is run by Long Beach Transit. It makes a stop at the Coast Hotel, as well as the Queen Mary, Shoreline Village - (shops & restaurants) , and the L.B. Aquarium. Get off at Pine Ave Circle for the L.B. Pike area for lots of nice shops and restaurants. Cost is only $1 per person. Here is some info:

http://www.lbtransit.com/schedules/pdf/aqua_map_schedule.pdf

Thanks again people. We have now changed our pre cruise one nighter to the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbour. Only 4 blocks from where ship berths. I am a retired cop so will have to be vigilant in the shady areas.!

Bit silly to be one night only at Santa Monica then have the stress and cost of getting to the ship. Princess cruises did the package, suppose they got a deal at Santa Monica, but changed it for us no trouble and no extra charge, in fact $80 cheaper !! We are actually flying out from OZ on 12 August, Sydney to LA then having a 4 day mini package and tours from there and will see Santa Monica, Venice Beach, plus Universal Studios, Hollywood etc. Then to Lima, Peru for couple of weeks where our son is living and working for a while, then fly into LAX on 30 Aug for cruise home on 31 August. I will book a shuttle or cab it from LAX to San Pedro.

Again without your help I would have had a hassle. This is a great site where everybody helps each other. TOPS.!!!!!!

Regards..Les:)

:confused: Thanks Pam! Can you tell me why you would rent a car from LAX if you were staying at the Marriott? I guess I assumed it was close enough to the airport that you wouldn't need to. Is there a courtesy shuttle from the airport to the hotel?
Our flights came into LAX from Boston, arriving late morning (very early direct flight on AA). We rented a car at LAX and took the courtesy shuttle to Hertz. We rented the car for the day, visiting family in the area, and after dinner, drove back directly to the hotel to check in and leave the car. Since it was a Princess pre-cruise hotel, we were already paid and could check in at any time. We found it very easy to find our way out of the LAX airport area and then back to the hotel, and by renting the car, we got to visit family.

To answer the question about whether you have a choice as to what time you can take the shuttle to the port when you choose the Princess pre-cruise stay at the LAX Marriott, the answer is, "sort of." When we took it, there were four busses that left 15 - 20 minutes apart. Our names were on a list and we were assigned which bus to take. I'm sure you could change that but the busses started leaving at 11AM; we were on the last bus and left just after Noon, arriving at about 12:45PM and were in our cabin by about 1:15PM.

Archived