Transfers from LAX to San Pedro

pisces223

For the Diamond cruise in February we are staying Friday night at the Marriott and then embarking Saturday in San Pedro. Should we take Marriott's free shuttle back to LAX Saturday morning and then get the Princess transfer to San Pedro or should we make our own arrangements from the hotel to the pier? That might mean a taxi (which I hear is extremely expensive) or the super shuttle. Has anyone had experience with either and can advise me as to the cost of these options? Thanks for all your help!:confused:

We made our arrangements through Princess which includes airport pick-up on Fri; drop off at Marriott; pick up Sat from hotel; trip to pier and then when we return it is a pick-up from pier to hotel and then on Sun from hotel back to LAX. For two nights hotel and all transfers (for 2) I think it was $236. Seemed reasonable to me?

We are staying at a motel with free shuttle from the airport. They suggested we take the free shuttle back to the airport in the morning and take Prime Time or Super Shuttle from the airport to San Pedro. The shuttles to SanPedro run about $17.00 per person. You need to make reservations for the shuttles. We'll be taking the shuttle back to the airport after the cruise too....so figure $34.00 per person round trip.

Hi folks not been to LA before so hope for some advice. Doing the 32 day LA to Sydney trip on Regal Princess, 31 Aug 07. Question: Would the airport shuttles mentioned also do pick ups from Santa Monica Hotels, pre cruise to Princess Port, San Pedro..if that is where the ships go from.?

Any advice appreciated.:)

Les:cool:

Star Princess 04 (8 days)

Carnival Spirit 05 (21 days)

Pacific Princess 06 (21 days)

Regal Princess 07 (32 days)

We have rented a car from Alamo to drive to Las Vegas after disembarking. Anyone know whether Alamo picks up at the pier? I suppose I can call their Long Beach Office. I thought the last time we cruised out of San Pedro that car rental vans were at the pier. Anyone else see them?

We are staying at a motel with free shuttle from the airport. They suggested we take the free shuttle back to the airport in the morning and take Prime Time or Super Shuttle from the airport to San Pedro. The shuttles to SanPedro run about $17.00 per person. You need to make reservations for the shuttles. We'll be taking the shuttle back to the airport after the cruise too....so figure $34.00 per person round trip.

Thanks for the good info. We're flying into LAX but departing from Long Beach so we'll only need the transfer to San Pedro. You mentioned that we would need to make reservations for the Super Shuttle. Who do we contact?

In the past, I always arranged for super shuttle to pick us up at hotel directly in morning and take us to pier. The cost is a few dollars more but worked out great. Much easier than having to go back to the airport. Now, I stay in San Pedro which is much easier. I take super shuttle directly to hotel and spend the night in same city as cruise departure. Anyone with enough Hilton Hhonors points can stay free at the newly remodeled Doubletree.

We have sailed from both San Pedro and Long Beach and will be sailing again in February from San Pedro on the Diamond. Each time we have rented a car from Hertz oneway from LAX to their downtown Long Beach location. The cab from the Downtown Hertz location was about $6 plus a tip. To the Long Beach pier from downtown Long Beach there is a long beach free shuttle that worked great.

I believe the car I have reserved for February is $26.

We have also used Princess transfers and you are very much at their mercy as to time frames. I like to be to the pier around noon and you are not in control if they are driving.

We have used a limo company in LA a couple of times for the return to the airport. They have been great and were fairly reasonable. Each time we had a group to split the cost. I will try to find their name and post it here if I come across it.

Hi folks not been to LA before so hope for some advice. Doing the 32 day LA to Sydney trip on Regal Princess, 31 Aug 07. Question: Would the airport shuttles mentioned also do pick ups from Santa Monica Hotels, pre cruise to Princess Port, San Pedro..if that is where the ships go from.?

Santa Monica to San Pedro (pier) is a bit of a drive, and there will be lots of traffic. I checked a calendar and August 31st is a Friday, so it will be a busy day on the freeways. If you took a taxi, I would guess the fare to be around $60. You might want check with Super Shuttle at the link a previous poster listed. But, if you want it to be as hassle free as possible, a taxi would be your best bet. Allow plenty of time, about an hour, for the journey.

We used Golden West Airport Express...1-800-917-5656 in October. For $50 they picked us up at our LAX hotel and handed our luggage to the porter at the San Pedro pier. For the same price they did the return...was impressed with the service...especially since our disembarkation was delayed for several hours and they waited for us. No sharing, direct service in a nice caddy.

Santa Monica to San Pedro (pier) is a bit of a drive, and there will be lots of traffic. I checked a calendar and August 31st is a Friday, so it will be a busy day on the freeways. If you took a taxi, I would guess the fare to be around $60. You might want check with Super Shuttle at the link a previous poster listed. But, if you want it to be as hassle free as possible, a taxi would be your best bet. Allow plenty of time, about an hour, for the journey.

Not only is Aug. 31st a Friday, it's the Friday of Labor Day weekend! Traffic will be horrible all day, as will the airport. Either take a taxi or, if there are 3 or more of you, enquire of either Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle about private vans. These are not much more and you won't have to share the van with others.

Thanks for that info Tom and others, really helpful. I don't know why pre cruise accom is at Santa Monica which is a way out of San Pedro. We are booked in at BW Gateway Hotel, Santa Monica as the main pre cruise hotel 'Hotel Carmel' was already full. Now I am thinking about getting our TA to get us a hotel in San Pedro instead of Santa Monica, will be easier on the day no doubt. Thanks all.:)

We have sailed from both San Pedro and Long Beach and will be sailing again in February from San Pedro on the Diamond. Each time we have rented a car from Hertz oneway from LAX to their downtown Long Beach location. The cab from the Downtown Hertz location was about $6 plus a tip. To the Long Beach pier from downtown Long Beach there is a long beach free shuttle that worked great.

I believe the car I have reserved for February is $26.

Hertz in Long Beach will reimburse you up to $15 cab fare to the pier in San Pedro. Not too many know about this. :)

Thanks for that info Tom and others, really helpful. I don't know why pre cruise accom is at Santa Monica which is a way out of San Pedro. We are booked in at BW Gateway Hotel, Santa Monica as the main pre cruise hotel 'Hotel Carmel' was already full. Now I am thinking about getting our TA to get us a hotel in San Pedro instead of Santa Monica, will be easier on the day no doubt. Thanks all.:)

The hotels in San Pedro aren't the best. I'd go towards Long Beach for a much nicer hotel and a much nicer area (and safer too). ;)

Santa Monica is really nice, and if you have the time, it would be really nice to stay there. But if all you are doing is spending one night there, with all the commuting you will have to do, it will just end up being a place to sleep.

As Lady Jag mentioned, San Pedro is not very nice. It is an industrial area with a nearby low income, high crime area. The Los Angeles/Long Beach Port is the busiest port in the world.

As she said, Downtown Long Beach is much nicer. But there are parts of Long Beach to avoid as well.

There are two hotels that I would recommend one is the Hyatt Regency

http://longbeach.hyatt.com/

Another is the other is the Long Beach Renaissance. 111 E. Ocean Blvd.

Long Beach, CA 90802 (562) 437-5900.

The Hyatt is the nicer of the two but more expensive. They are both in the Pike area of Long Beach which has lots of shops and restaurants. Neither has a shuttle to LAX nor a shuttle to the pier in San Pedro. You will have to use taxis or hire a shuttle. But both hotels are an easy 10 minutes to the San Pedro Pier. Remember to tell the driver San Pedro Pier, not Long Beach Pier (where Carnival docks).

Thanks for the information, everyone. I am anticipating a trip on the Diamond and will be doing the LAX/overnight hotel/San Pedro thing myself, so I really appreciate the advice!:)

drk, I am wondering, was the $50 a per person rate, or the total rate for the transfer. Thanks!

If you're doing the Princess pre-cruise stay at the LAX Marriott for $69/pp, it includes transfers from the hotel to the ship. I know you're making your own plans but have your TA check into this as it's a good deal, particularly if you're planning to stay there anyway. They pick up your luggage right from your room while you're at breakfast and other than identifying it for the bus, you won't see it again until you see it in your cabin. (There's also no tip for the porter since they take the luggage away before you even get off the bus.) If you rent a Hertz car at the airport, you can drop it off right at the hotel where there's a Hertz desk/drop-off box. You just park the car in the hotel parking lot.

Post-cruise, I would recommend using either SuperShuttle or PrimeTime Shuttle. They both have shuttles from the pier to Long Beach.

The BW Gateway is in the middle of nowhere in Santa Monica and not near any of the attractions without a cab ride. You are a good 3 plus miles from the pier and coast. Hotel Carmel on the other hand is 5 minute walk to beach and is a great location. In San Pedro the Doubletree is nice. Otherwise hotels in Long Beach would by my next choice.

Thank you everyone for helping me make a decision. As I'm from the East Coast, I'm not that familiar with the area. The LAX Marriott sounds like the best bet for us. We will be arriving at 8:30 p.m. on Friday and were hoping to get dinner and/or drinks after we get in. Since you're all saying San Pedro doesn't have much going on, I guess staying there isn't a good option.

What about on Saturday? Well, we'll probably have breakfast and then take the Princess transfer to the pier. Do we get to choose when that will be or is it a set time? If we get to choose, what time do you think is best? When do we need to embark?

Thanks again everyone! I can't wait - only a little more than 3 months left!

If you rent a Hertz car at the airport, you can drop it off right at the hotel where there's a Hertz desk/drop-off box. You just park the car in the hotel parking lot.

:confused: Thanks Pam! Can you tell me why you would rent a car from LAX if you were staying at the Marriott? I guess I assumed it was close enough to the airport that you wouldn't need to. Is there a courtesy shuttle from the airport to the hotel?

Here is some general advice.

If you aren't planning on touring around the L.A. area and want the easiest, hassle free way of getting from LAX to Hotel to pier, then the LAX Marriott or one of the better hotels in San Pedro is best. If you have been to L.A. before and just want to pass through on the way to the ship, then one of these choices are for you.

But if you want to look around and get a feel for the L.A. scene, you should consider a hotel in an area that is nice to walk and shop around. There are many nice areas in the L.A. area that have nice hotels. Of these nicer areas, the downtown Long Beach area is the one that is closest to the San Pedro pier.

Another reason to consider Long Beach, would be if you arrived at the Long Beach Airport instead of LAX. LGB is a very small, uncrowded airport. Everyone who uses it loves it. But there are very few flights there, and many of them are more expensive than going to LAX. It is a hub airport for Jet Blue that has excellent prices and service. There are no international flights there.

We have stayed in Long Beach pre-cruise at the Renaissance through Priceline for $50 for the night. Downtown Long Beach was great. There are a number of restaurants in the area and proximity to the San Pedro peir is a six minute cab ride.

I just check biddingfortravel.com (great resource on Priceline bidding) and the it looks like the Hilton, Westin, Hyatt and Renaissance come up for four star bidding in Long Beach on Priceline. Recent prices that folks have paid are in the upper $60's to $70's.

Good luck!

Archived