Hotel recommendations in Ft. Lauderdale

beachpeach1

We are flying down to Ft. Lauderdale the day before our February cruise. Any recommendations for decent hotels nearby that offer airport and port shuttles? (Not too expensive--would rather save $$ for cruise spending) I have seen Amerisuites mentioned. Any others?

We are flying down to Ft. Lauderdale the day before our February cruise. Any recommendations for decent hotels nearby that offer airport and port shuttles? (Not too expensive--would rather save $$ for cruise spending) I have seen Amerisuites mentioned. Any others?

Embassy Suites, The Ft. Lauderdale Grande, Renaissance. All of these have been said to be nice hotels, not too expensive. I know the Grande and the Embassy Suites have shuttles to the port.

Karen

I recently stayed at Amerisuites on 17th Street. It was fine. Plenty of eating places in the area (walking distance). They will shuttle you from the airport and to the pier. I booked through valuetrips.com. I just checked and they are running a special for $75 per night.

Have a good cruise.

I know I read somewhere on this board I think it was the Normth American homereports; east coast departures that they wre having the same problem that you were. They recommended people try about 25-30 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale. There were plenty of hotels available. Check out that board. You will find it on what I call the Table of Contents and scroll down. Go to East Coast Departmres and then to Ft. Lauderdale. Hope this sure helps.

Marilyn

I recently stayed at Amerisuites on 17th Street. It was fine. Plenty of eating places in the area (walking distance). They will shuttle you from the airport and to the pier. I booked through valuetrips.com. I just checked and they are running a special for $75 per night.

Have a good cruise.

Could you please post a review of your stay on the North American Homeports: East Coast for Amerisuites?? There have been quite a few inquiries (myself included!) wanting a recent review of the current conditions at the Amerisuites. Have heard both good and some SCARY things about them but can't seem to find something current. It would be very much appreciated by your fellow CCers. Thanks.

What day are you looking for a hotel for? Some weekends in February are extra busy in south Florida and so you may have troubles if you are sailing one of those weekends. The first weekend in February the Super Bowl is being held in Miami so there is little availability that weekend, and what rooms are available are extremely expensive ($400 for a Days Inn). The 3rd weekend in February is not quite as bad as Super Bowl weekend but it is a very popular holiday weekend so hotel rooms are more expensive and are starting to get filled up.

Could you please post a review of your stay on the North American Homeports: East Coast for Amerisuites?? There have been quite a few inquiries (myself included!) wanting a recent review of the current conditions at the Amerisuites. Have heard both good and some SCARY things about them but can't seem to find something current. It would be very much appreciated by your fellow CCers. Thanks.

croozinsnoozin79,

DW & I had been hearing the same stories as you. We are headed out out on the Star in February. Please keep an eye on the thread I am posting a link to. Some very helpful folks here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8199086#post8199086

We stayed at the Amerisuites in May of this year. I have to preempt this with letting you know that I am a hotel snob.

First the good:

The service was fine.

Check-in/out no problem.

The location was great.

I felt safe staying there, and safe leaving our car there for the week.

***There is a great mexican restaurant next door. If you go there you MUST sit out back on the veranda. They have these swinging tables that are SO COOL! They make you feel like you are already on the boat.***

Now the reality check:

The room.... well, the room was honestly pretty gross. Lets just say both of us waited to get on the ship to take a shower the next day. I think the curly black hair stuck to the shower wall was the deterrent for me. YUCK!

The beds looked like they were around when Lincoln was president. The box-springs were exposed and had giant gaping holes in the fabric on the sides which kept making me wonder about what was inside. (dead hooker? small furry creature? small not furry creature? More curly black hair?) EEEEK! I think the only reason I slept at all was because of the two margarita's I had at the mexican restaurant next door. (ARRRIBA!)

The breakfast was free and that is about the best thing I can say about it.

Believe it or not, I would stay there again, but only for one night.

We are staying at the Ramada precruise on Feb 17th- the hotel has been sold out for a few months now. We booked the saem hotel last year for about 50. less then we are for this night in February. Not a lot of availabity left for FLL in February-- Even priceline is not taking my bids for our particualr weekend.. Yep- i still try..

We booked Embassy Suites for $89 coming in (it did mention that it was a suite hotel in the description). It was further from the port, but VERY nice, and did have shuttle; plus grocery store across street to pick up last minute forgotten meds plus Mountain Dew! (and liquor store if you are there the right hours).

On way home we got Sheraton for $59--very nice (MOST comfortable bed!), but NOTHING around it! Poor quality, expensive food--we paid $8 each to get to sports bar near by to eat & watch football! (and $8 each return trip!)

HTH

Kris

We stayed at the Amerisuites in May of this year. I have to preempt this with letting you know that I am a hotel snob.

First the good:

The service was fine.

Check-in/out no problem.

The location was great.

I felt safe staying there, and safe leaving our car there for the week.

***There is a great mexican restaurant next door. If you go there you MUST sit out back on the veranda. They have these swinging tables that are SO COOL! They make you feel like you are already on the boat.***

Now the reality check:

The room.... well, the room was honestly pretty gross. Lets just say both of us waited to get on the ship to take a shower the next day. I think the curly black hair stuck to the shower wall was the deterrent for me. YUCK!

The beds looked like they were around when Lincoln was president. The box-springs were exposed and had giant gaping holes in the fabric on the sides which kept making me wonder about what was inside. (dead hooker? small furry creature? small not furry creature? More curly black hair?) EEEEK! I think the only reason I slept at all was because of the two margarita's I had at the mexican restaurant next door. (ARRRIBA!)

The breakfast was free and that is about the best thing I can say about it.

Believe it or not, I would stay there again, but only for one night.

I've stayed there too, and echo everything you said exactly...except I didn't try the margaritas. If I go back, I definitely will!! :D

We've stayed at different ones in FLL, including Amerisuites 17th St and Embassy. Embassy is now our preference, and wouldn't recommend Amerisuites, although they will do in a pinch. My brother said, "Never Again!" on Ramada. We used to stay at Marriott, but don't know much about it since it changed ownership, and I haven't seen much coming up on it since then, although I saw where they are remodeling.

The Hyatt Pier 66 was also real nice and convenient, although there wasn't a shuttle (but see below).

Don't worry much about whether or not there is a shuttle ... in our opinion too much value is erroneously placed on that small perk. The taxi cost airport to hotel and hotel to Dock and dock to airport is so low, so we usually do a taxi (or private van when we have a group) rather than messing with the hassel of the shuttle. You are literaly a few minutes (less than 10) and handfull of miles from the dock and most places that are close to it on 17th St. We've done the shuttle when there was hardly anyone elso on it, but otherwise, it's not worth it. You'll get different opinions, so know this is just our family's view point.

paul

Hotel prices do fluctuate from week to week. Hyatt is an awesome place but for our weekend they wants almost 300 per night. Just not worth it to me for that-- I wish but can do lots of other stuff for that kind of money.

croozinsnoozin79,

DW & I had been hearing the same stories as you. We are headed out out on the Star in February. Please keep an eye on the thread I am posting a link to. Some very helpful folks here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8199086#post8199086

Thanks, Bruce... I have been keeping an eye on that one. I posted there a few weeks ago titled "Anyone at Amerisuites recently" and didn't get a good feeling about it from others who posted but no one seemed to have stayed there recently. Am hoping for a more recent review. Have a backup reservation elsewhere just in case for our Jan. 12th- 14th pre-cruise stay but the location and price for the Amerisuites is kind of hard to beat.

We stayed at Renaissance in September. Right next to pier, and Walgreens. Publix and Total Wine just down the street (right next to Embassy Suites, which looked nice). Renaissance bedding (both mattresses and linens) were WONDERFUL ... (can't say the same for the CB's :( )

Not much left for hotels in FLL the weekend of Feb 10th either. Laquinta Inns was the only one I could find with vacancies. Beachpeach I'm afraid your choice might come down to what's available over what's recommended. I would get your reservation as soon as possible. Good luck.

Thanks, Bruce... I have been keeping an eye on that one. I posted there a few weeks ago titled "Anyone at Amerisuites recently" and didn't get a good feeling about it from others who posted but no one seemed to have stayed there recently. Am hoping for a more recent review. Have a backup reservation elsewhere just in case for our Jan. 12th- 14th pre-cruise stay but the location and price for the Amerisuites is kind of hard to beat.

I would read the recent reviews on Amerisuites, it's not too pretty.

Thanks for all the responses! We are looking for the night of February 10. Think we will try Priceline first and try to get a good deal, but will definitely check out some of the others that you guys mentioned. Will let you know what I find out!

Stayed here in June, 2005 and it fits your criteria (close, inexpensive for one night, and basic). It was clean but tired, but hey, the price is right. nothing is around the hotel. Complimentary transport from airport to hotel, and hotel to ship. Suggest while you are in FLL arrange independent transport from ship to airport on return, about half the cost of Princess

Hotel: Ramada Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport

2275 SR 84

Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312

954-584-4000

Thanks for all the responses! We are looking for the night of February 10. Think we will try Priceline first and try to get a good deal, but will definitely check out some of the others that you guys mentioned. Will let you know what I find out!

www.biddingfortravel.com allows you to see the hotels and what star is offered for your area. Scroll down and clcik on FLL in florida-- once in there will be a forum for hotels. It will be listed first.

Stayed here in June, 2005 and it fits your criteria (close, inexpensive for one night, and basic). It was clean but tired, but hey, the price is right. nothing is around the hotel. Complimentary transport from airport to hotel, and hotel to ship. Suggest while you are in FLL arrange independent transport from ship to airport on return, about half the cost of Princess

Hotel: Ramada Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport

2275 SR 84

Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312

954-584-4000

I cannot say enough bad about this place! Please read the reviews on tripadvisor.com. They range from one star (mine and several others) to five stars (???!). Our experience began with the shuttle driver being very late and throwing our luggage over a bunch of other luggage to the front of his trailer, breaking something in the process, and went from there.

Avoid this place like the plague!:( :( :eek:

Dan & Judy

Archived