Sapphire or Sun for 31 Day

Tyrkitty

We're new to Princess, so I'm asking the experts. Planning a TransPacific with a choice between the Sapphire and Sun. Plan to have a basic balcony cabin. We have been on the Disney Magic and RCL Radiance class ship and loved both). I understand a lot has to do with itinerary and personal preference, but from any who have sailed on both (if itinerary was basically the same) which would you pick and why.

Very subjective, of course, but I much prefer the Sun class to Grand and modified Grand class ships.

I think the smaller size is handier, and think they handle rough water better (and the open Pacific can get rough on occasion).

We are thinking about the Sun Princess, 3-08, for a circumnavigation of Australia, while she is sailing for P&O (Aus).

Assuming you are talking about the April 2008 voyages, you may not have a choice if you really want a balcony. All of the balconies and up are already waitlisted on the Sapphire Princess since September. I don't know about the Sun Princess. There will be a large turnover just before final payment, but if you are waitlisted, planning becomes a little difficult. You have to realize on a 31 day voyage like this, you'll will have a great time on either ship. Go to Princess Roll Call and read up on on either roll call and get an idea which group you like to sail with.

Very subjective, of course, but I much prefer the Sun class to Grand and modified Grand class ships.

I think the smaller size is handier, and think they handle rough water better (and the open Pacific can get rough on occasion).

We are thinking about the Sun Princess, 3-08, for a circumnavigation of Australia, while she is sailing for P&O (Aus).

Do you think that The Sun will handle the rough waters better than The Sapphire ?

It's been a few years since we've been the Sun, and we were on Sapphire last spring and RCCL Radiance a few years ago to Alaska. If you really liked Radiance I would think Sapphire would be more like it than the Sun. I tend to like newer but not necessarily bigger ships. Looking forward to the Island in December. Hope this helps.

Don't know what this itinerary is, but I have heard that sometimes the larger ships often don't/can't dock close to town and that shuttles to town and tendering in some of the foreign ports can also be a problem. Just comments I've heard, no personal exerience here!

Yes, I do think Sun Princess is a "better sea boat" than any Grand class or modified Grand class ((including Sapphire & Diamond Princess).

In heaving seas, the Grand class tend to bounce hard by the bow, and don't have as "fine" a hull shape as the Sun.

Both classes are fairly wind prone, with their slab sides!

Several of the comments above are correct. The balconies on the Sapphire are larger than on the Sun. Also, the Sapphire cruise in 2008 is selling fast although some people who booked early are changing their plans, even on our roll call.

While I do think that the Sun Princess handles seas better than the Sapphire Princess, I don't think it's a huge difference. On the other hand, given that this is a trans-Pacific cruise, I'd avoid a forward cabin regardless of the ship. Also, the tendering doesn't bother me. We're going to be stopping at islands so I would expect that many ports would be tendered.

I also agree that 31 days is a loooonng time. That's why I booked it! LOTS of sea days. Can't wait!

Several of the comments above are correct. The balconies on the Sapphire are larger than on the Sun. Also, the Sapphire cruise in 2008 is selling fast although some people who booked early are changing their plans, even on our roll call.

While I do think that the Sun Princess handles seas better than the Sapphire Princess, I don't think it's a huge difference. On the other hand, given that this is a trans-Pacific cruise, I'd avoid a forward cabin regardless of the ship. Also, the tendering doesn't bother me. We're going to be stopping at islands so I would expect that many ports would be tendered.

I also agree that 31 days is a loooonng time. That's why I booked it! LOTS of sea days. Can't wait!

Pam, I'm with you, cannot wait for all those sea days, we have been on the Diamond and the grand but looking forward to experiencing a smaller ship - the more sea days for us to relax the better.:D

Archived