Prepaid Tips (MERGED)

I have been on the same ship prior to prepaid tip and post prepaid tips(NCL).

I have found that service had not slightly but dramaticly dropped.

Gone were most of the smiles

cleaning of cabins took sometimes 3 calls

in one occasion cabin was cleaned at 7:00pm(A JOKE)

Think about it, what insentive does the staff have if tips are already earned before you even get aboard.

why anyone would like this idea is beyond me. Tipping should not be taken for granted.

True you can in most cases lower the tip before you get off the ship, but that action just hurts everyone not just the person you didnt think deserved it. You in reality take the tip out of all the staff not just the one person you didnt like.

prepaid tipping can only hurt your level of service it in most cases not help.

Think about it, what insentive does the staff have if tips are already earned before you even get aboard.

why anyone would like this idea is beyond me. Tipping should not be taken for granted.

True you can in most cases lower the tip before you get off the ship, but that action just hurts everyone not just the person you didnt think deserved it. You in reality take the tip out of all the staff not just the one person you didnt like.

I'm just wondering here.....how do you know for sure that the staff are aware that the tip is pre-paid? Somehow I doubt the cruise line would share that information with the staff for the reasons you just described above.....:rolleyes:

On NCL the prepaid tips are automatically collected for each passenger and are divided among the staff, so even if you complain and ask to have them taken off (if you even can) it doesn't affect their pay much. In that case not much incentive to provide good service.

Much different situation on RCL, where prepaid tips are not automatically collected and go directly to the staff person - so even if they would happen to find out you prepaid them, they know you can take them away and it will directly hurt their pay. Much more incentive to provide good service.

Must disagree with you. You receive the highest service levels on lines where all tips are prepaid and included in the fare. Look at the ratings for things like SeaDream, Seabourne, Radison, etc.

Top ratings and tips are always prepaid, and the service makes any other line look as if it is non existent.

Look at the prices to cruise on the above-mentioned upscale lines! I would bet that has as much if not more to do with the level of service one receives. You can take 2 or 3 cruises on RCCL for the price of one cruise on Seabourne, Crystal, etc.. I think you are comparing apples and oranges here!

I'm just wondering here.....how do you know for sure that the staff are aware that the tip is pre-paid? Somehow I doubt the cruise line would share that information with the staff for the reasons you just described above.....:rolleyes:

As it is the policy all staff know that tips have been pre-paid.

I have no understanding why anyone would pre-pay tips. Tips, or gratuities are a thank you for services rendered. There have not been any services rendered at that point.

If you give them out before hand I agree, what is the incentive to give good service.

We never pre-pay tips, but many do. The staff on RCI doesn't know until the end of the cruise when they receive the vouchers showing pre-payment.

We've had some outstanding room stewards and some lousy ones--it varies from ship to ship and person to person, just like anything!

I can see where some would prefer prepayment, so they don't have to worry about keeping enough money for tipping later. If you're the type of person who doesn't budget their money very well, this option is for you! It really shouldn't make a difference in service! I'm sure the staff is hoping you will add to the "basic" tip amount, anyway!

Clarify you post for me if you would...........I have read it several times. Are you saying there was a noticeable difference in service on NCL by prepaying tips?

On RC, I have done it both ways..........put the tips on my sea pass card and paid at the end of the cruise. I have found no noticeable difference in service on RC at least. Can't testify to NCL..........

My understanding is that if you prepay tips on RCI, you just get vouchers towards the end of the cruise to put in the envelopes. They don't know till cruise end whether they are getting vouchers or cash, and you can have vouchers removed if you don't think service has warranted the standards. We never prepay before the cruise but do pay for vouchers during the week and supplement with cash for extra good service so we don't have to carry as much cash.

Clarify you post for me if you would...........I have read it several times. Are you saying there was a noticeable difference in service on NCL by prepaying tips?

On RC, I have done it both ways..........put the tips on my sea pass card and paid at the end of the cruise. I have found no noticeable difference in service on RC at least. Can't testify to NCL..........

I am saying that the level of service declined dramaticly after the cruiseline went to prepaid tipping.

Well if you are talking NCL.......that may well be true. My only cruise on Princess where they charge $10 a day to your on board charges, I felt a noticeable drop in service, but only compared to what I normally have recieved from RC.

As I mentioned with RC, I have done it both ways and never noticed a drop in service.

I haven't heard RC is planning to go prepay with tips........

Usually if it isn't broken.........you don't try and fix it.

Especially if a pay option is available on your seapass card.

I'm not sure many would argue your post........just the premise that RC is planning to go pre pay with tips.

I appreciate your opinion but disagree............I would bet almost anything that RC does not go prepay within a year or in 5 years.

And I would agree with you that there is no real incentive to continue to provide excellant service once you are pre paid.

Feel free to have others "debate"..........

NCL can hardly be compared to RC.........:)

I certainly respect your opinion...........

YOU can be sure that once the cruise line goes all prepay then you will see service drop.

This is where you said RCI is going pre-pay.

I too understood where you were coming from. And, I too disagree with you. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion. Just don't throw a hissy fit when others don't agree. It happens to all of us.:rolleyes:

Must disagree with you. You receive the highest service levels on lines where all tips are prepaid and included in the fare. Look at the ratings for things like SeaDream, Seabourne, Radison, etc.

Top ratings and tips are always prepaid, and the service makes any other line look as if it is non existent.

There is no tipping on those lines (meaning they cruiseline pays them a decent wage wiithout tips), that is not the same thing as pre-paid tips (like on NCL, etc.).

On NCL yes, on RCI, No. On RCI tips, including pre-paid go directly to the staff person, they are not shared among all staff.

On NCL yes, on RCI, No. On RCI tips, including pre-paid go directly to the staff person, they are not shared among all staff.

As much as I hate to agree with a Wolverine fan, this is true. I have not seen any decline in service doing pre-paid on RCI. BTW, I am Ohio State alumni. GO BUCKS! :) :) :)

Sorry, couldn't resist!!!:p

I'm sure there are those of you that will think we should have said something about our waiter to the head waiter but we didn't. We were on the Jewel for the 10/31 repo out of Boston. We had a waiter who every night except one got the meals messed up. He couldn't remember who ordered what and it was very frustrating to us who never experienced such service. We always were impressed with the wait staff on all our cruises, this was simply awful. We tipped by the voucher system and felt that he really didn't deserve that amount. However we would never not tip!! There were eight in our party so to get another table in early seating was impossible. The dining room was jammed every night!! We didn't report him and now he is home on vacation. We didn't ask if he was coming back. Hopefully he will get it all together if he does and do a better job. Maybe we should have asked for a different table but we just considered it "part of the experience". Does it mean that we will never cruise RCCL again?? Not at all looking forward to the Serenade in 10/07. Maybe someone out there had the same experience maybe not!! I think he didn't expect a tip and was glad the envelope was handed to him the last night.:)

Let me see, where would I rather work? On a cruise line that collects the tips and as long as I do my job and don't get fired because of too many bad comment cards, I will get a living wage to support my family,

or,

a cruise line where, according to various reports, I can be stiffed by 10-30% of the passengers when it comes time to tip. This can lead to poor morale.

Add to that the fact there are thousands of people in third world countries wanting these jobs, they have a very good incentive to do the job.

Sorry, I don't buy into the statement that prepaid tips causes poor service.

I've cruised both RCI and NCL, as well as other lines. I've never lacked for friendly service on any ship or any cruise. Whether it was cash tips at the end of the cruise (RCI) or a daily service charge (NCL).

I sometimes wonder if it is a pre-conceived perception that NCL service is worse than RCI because of the service charge. We've been on a cruise with family and friends where some pre-tipped, some auto tipped at the end of the cruise and some paid their tips in cash the last night. There was no way the staff knew in advance how each cabin was going to handle it.

I find that if I'm friendly and have a smile on my face, everyone smiles back.

I'm not saying anyone has not suffered poor service on NCL, RCI or any other line. Each individuals perception and expectations are different. Some people complain if they don't see their cabin steward all week, if they are doing their job and are invisible to me, no big deal, I don't need a personal relationship with them, especially if they are busy. Some people enjoy magic tricks and jokes from their wait staff at dinner, some of us like understated service that leaves you alone to converse with your table mates.

Some people think every cruise ship employee should be smiling at every waking moment, some of us realize they may have something on their mind at times.

I've come across a few ship employees that weren't stellar in their behavior at every moment, but I don't judge the entire cruise on one situation, either. I also think that the treatment you receive can mirror the way you are treating others.

As much as I hate to agree with a Wolverine fan, this is true. I have not seen any decline in service doing pre-paid on RCI. BTW, I am Ohio State alumni. GO BUCKS! :) :) :)

Sorry, couldn't resist!!!:p

With any luck, we'll see you again in January in Arizona.

On the Explorer I put the tips on my Seapass account on the first day of the cruise and I will be doing the same thing again next fall on the Serenade. I received phenomenal service from everyone I encountered on the Explorer.

If it was a situation where I felt the service was lacking then I would contact guest relations to have it taken care of.

Not at all looking forward to the Serenade in 10/07.

Unsure about your post. Did you mean "Not at all, looking forward to the Serenade in 10/07" or did you really mean that you are not at all looking forward to the Serenade in 10/07. Big difference.:D

Isn't there some confusion here? On RCI, you don't prepay your tips. You merely add them to your on board account, for your own convenience. How can that be a lack of incentive?

Archived