New Passport Information Released

Alexis

True' date=' at this time the USA citizens cruising from & back to a USA port do not need a passport until January 2008.

However, let's say they have to leave during the cruise for any reason such as illness, death in family, etc. and do not have a passport. They have to return to the USA early via air instead of their scheduled cruise debarkation date & USA port. At this time, if the air return is after January 23, 2007, they must have a passport to re-enter the USA.

I feel this is something to be seriously considered by those choosing to cruise from & back to USA ports without a passport prior to January 2008.

Kat [img']http://skins.*****/skins/mailskins/em/110105/110105_emYA42_prv.gif[/img]

Thanks. ;) As usual your advice is totally correct and I hope people realize your important message and take this seriously..

Thanks fellow CC's. ;)

To all of you who said my posts are "normal."

I think I will frame those posts.

First time on here I have been told I am "normal" :D :D

If you read the regulations it says that the cruise requirement will take place no later than January 2008. IMHO that is probably when it will take effect, but it seems that the government could impose an earlier deadline, if they get there ducks, so to speak, in order. While there is a cost involved in acquiring passports, if you are planning on cruising at any time in the future it is probably a smart move to go ahead and get the passport now.

If they move up the implementation of the requirement and only give you six or eight weeks notice, you might end up missing your cruise and neither insurance nor the cruise line would cover that problem.

If you leave on your cruise from a U.S. port, and come back to a u.s. port, and you are a u.s. citizen, you will not need it. If you fly to Puerto Rico for your cruise, YES, you will need it.

Actually, if you are a US citizen you do not need a passport to fly into or out of PR. It is a US territory.

Thank you AZC. I think we have the post part straightened out (It's just about ME LOL). The personal issue for me is whether to insist 79 year old mom and friend get their first, last and possibly only passports for just a Vancouver R/T.....we've had ours since 1998. :D

I totally understand about that. Easy to say, harder to do. Mom is just being a little fussy and procrastinating, and having the government be wishy washy about it doesn't help either. Let alone trying to have her friend get one! I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it here. It is their first ever cruise, and I can already tell it will be tons of fun. :D (NOT)

SO at Christmas....we will tell them that the must apply for passports, no matter how we are getting there! LOL:) This has been such a pain.

WE have passports, the parental units don't. I don't intend to spend anything on flying them back. Mom thinks driving from Seattle would be "fun" . I don't.

And Alexis, your posts fit just fine on my screen now, too. Did you get rid of the pumpkin? Whatever you did..worked. Thanks so much!:D

-Patti:)

If the pumpkin did it, this one should blow your computer off the desk. :eek: :D

I had called RCI awhile ago about this, and one reason that the agent gave me that I thought was PRETTY GOOD to have a passport is that if you're on a shore excursion that runs late & you miss your ship, you cannot legally fly into the next port, so your cruise is basically over...With what we're paying, we're getting our passports this afternoon to make sure!!!

It still doesn't affect returning cruise passengers until January of 2008 unless you are returning from your cruise by air from another country. If you are a us citizen and cruising out of a us port, you do not need to have a passport until 2008.

I'm so confused...

We are booked on the Radiance Jan 2007 - going to the Western Caribbean.

Do we NEED passports?

We sent away for passports for our kids but have run into a snag with ours....I had to send away for my birth cert as all I had was the tattered original one (without the raised seal).

BIG problem with husbands...he received his but it does not have a RAISED seal and his BIRTH DATE is WRONG! He's on the phone right now trying to figure what can be done...:confused:

it would help so much if I knew if we couldn't get this straightened out in time that we could still go on our trip!

THANKS!

Archived