Ryndam without power!

CGAGE

Just heard on our local Fox News that the ship left Port of Tampa this afternoon and lost power somewhere between the port and the Skyway Bridge. According the the news...the ship's power has just recently been restored, but they are currently being moored overnight here locally.

If I hear anymore...I'll post again. Have not checked any websites...posted this as I heard it on the 10:00 news.

Just heard on our local Fox News that the ship left Port of Tampa this afternoon and lost power somewhere between the port and the Skyway Bridge. According the the news...the ship's power has just recently been restored, but they are currently being moored overnight here locally.

If I hear anymore...I'll post again. Have not checked any websites...posted this as I heard it on the 10:00 news.

Just heard the same news. Very vague though. Almost the way they said it is that they moved it out of the shipping lane. Sounds like they didn't bring it back to port.

"CGAGE"...is that the way you understood it?

Will check channel 8 (NBC) news at 11:00.

Jessemon

Just heard the same news. Very vague though. Almost the way they said it is that they moved it out of the shipping lane. Sounds like they didn't bring it back to port.

"CGAGE"...is that the way you understood it?

Will check channel 8 (NBC) news at 11:00.

Jessemon

Precisely! I wonder where they are?

We just got off the Ryndam today...the ship had problems off and on during our recent 14 day cruise ...we heard some were without power and air in some cabins ( our cabin was quite warm) ..we actually had an unusual cruise with there being a medical emergency that had a coast guard take a passenger via helicopter while we were in the "at sea" day after leaving Tampa, a small fire (I think small) in what I think they said was the "garbage/trash area" ...and off and on problems with air condition in cabins , some black residue in the water pipes in some cabins ...all in all it was a great cruise..everyone was so friendly(crew and cruisers):) ....hopefully the Ryndam will regain power quickly and take the current cruisers on a wonderful cruise....:)

Actually I think there is (at least one) medical evacuation (mostly in port) on most cruises. It is not an unusual occurence. Sorry to hear about the power problems. Hope they get that fixed quickly so pax can enjoy that wonderful Ryndam cruise. We loved our 14 days on her last April.

What a nightmare for crew when something like this happens. Even the calmest of pax start to get 'antsy' when there are serious deficiencies aboard..... when they are offered sandwiches for dinner after having been held in cabins for some length of time. Not fun.

Best wishes to Ryndam that they get 'up and running'. She's a nice ship with a wonderful crew.

We also just disembarked the Ryndam on Friday morning. We experienced none of the problems reported. Our room, 316, had great A/C - friends who visited said we could hang meat in there while their's was warm at best. We did have odd sewer smells at times in some of the halls some times but not always - and the location varied.

We had a great time and met many wonderful people. The service was wonderful, the hot hors d'ouvres were there, the chocolates on the pillows (but no towel animals for us although I saw some in other cabins), fresh OJ in the Lido (Read the signs above the juices to find the correct group - they also have regular OJ). The biggest problem we found was the coffee was very inconsistent - too strong one day, very weak the next.

Neither of us got sick (Noro) but Eric did get a slight cold that was going around the last couple of days. I'd been taking Airborne and didn't get it!

Where will our next cruise be - it's fun planning!

Regards,

Doug & Eric

Power to the ship has now been restored, but the Coast Guard is not saying what caused the power loss.

(a) The extension cord broke.

(b) No power loss; the captain was waiting for the Skyway Bridge to open.

© A crew member said, "I thought it was his turn to fill it up."

(d) An officer's friend was on the bridge and said, "What does this button do?"

ROTFLMAO 24.gif

We also were on the last Ryndam sailing. Our cabin was toward the rear of the ship and we experienced horrible vibrations one day. We are not usually complainers but it was awful - felt like the back of the ship was going to vibrate off. We called the front desk and were told it was due to rough sea conditions but that didn't make sense since the ocean was like glass. After hearing about the loss of power, I'm wondering if we were having some engine trouble during our cruise. Happy Sailing!

If it was on the way from San Juan to St. Thomas, it was most definitely engine problems! In fact, the captain made a couple of announcements to apologize for the vibrations and to explain what was going on (had you heard those or had the front office accurately passed on the information you might have found it easier to take). Supposedly an "expert" was flown into St. Thomas and he worked on the engines there, which is why things were smooth from there on out.

At dinner in the Rotterdam Dining Room that evening things were so shaky that we thought the little flower vase on our table was going to tip over!

According to today's Cruise News Daily http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com, the 4th engine on the Ryndam failed to start as it got underway and there was a power outtage. The emergency power came on and ran the essential services. The ship anchored in the channel and restarted the engines. The Coast Guard had to clear it to leave, which it did at 4:30AM Sunday morning. It's a 14-day itinerary and the call in San Juan had to be cancelled.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this cruise.

Two weeks after Ryndam leaves Tampa (after engine quitting and stuck for a short while) it returns. Seems that more than a few Pax are not happy.

Saw a short brurb on channel news here and A/C problems and port or ports missed.

Will try to find more info.

Well written mate, very funny lol :D

Of the many problems aboard the Ryndam the problem that knocked out the aft elevators was the fire system sprung a leak in the tween section of Club HAL. The water came down the stairs into the lido, flowed into the lower decks and down the elevator shaft (salt water and elevator electronics don't mix.) The elevators were (as of the 22nd) working with some minor defects. One of the elevators did not stop at the Main Deck. The elevators also need a good cleaning. The Loft was also closed.

I was on this cruise and it was horrible. Not just ship problems but the crew seamed to hate the 5 teenagers on board. I'll most likely be writing a full review when I finish writing to Holland America.

I would suggest that if you were planning on booking on this ship to wait till she has go through dry dock. If you have already booked, well good luck, when we were adrift in the storm she had her rear end handed to her.

jwitt2: The A/C did not work in my stateroom the entire cruise (lukewarm air.)

paulvil, that is terrible! I'm so sorry you had that kind of experience for 2 weeks. I don't think my husband can survive without A/C for a week in the humidity.

What did they do to dry out the Lido and other floors? Did it affect the food service? How many of the problems do you think they can correct in the 10 hour layovers in Tampa last Friday and next (before we leave)?

We have the 'cancel for any reason' insurance, but it would cost us 25%. We'd have to cancel today, because it has to be done 48 hours prior to the start of the trip, and we are flying to Florida Wednesday. Do you think the remaining problems are significant enough that it would be worth canceling?

This was going to be our first HAL cruise (after several Celebrity and others), so I'd hate for this to be a really subpar experience that would turn us off HAL. On the other hand, I was really looking forward to this cruise and would hate to miss it.

Archived