Names outside your stateroom door?

negc

When I used to stay at the Balsams in New Hampshire(oer Christmas), they would also post the names of guests arriving, their hometowns and so on.

I loved it.

That was then and this is now. I'll bet that they don't do it any longer and if you were to ask them why they would cite privacy laws and concerns.

It is nice to know others look at the name tag colors. Honest I pay more attention to the colors and never read the names. It is rare for us to run into others in the cabin areas. It would be more notable if a person was hanging around in those halls, and that I might report.

People tend to be in their rooms or the public areas.

Now I'm curious about the color-coding :)
First time cruisers are white with blue. Cruisers on their 2nd through 5th cruise are gold. Cruisers with 6 through 15 cruises are platinum (looks silver). And, cruisers with 16 or more cruises are black.

Hi There,

I find all this talk so funny, first as some one who has been caught up in a bomb alert and has been warned off with a shot gun and then there was the guy in the office with the base ball bat that wanted to kill me but refused to hit me while I was sitting so smashed things up instead get a life.

If there is a mad killer onboard a ship he or she is not going to go up and down the halls looking for a name, they will select some poor person wait for there chance and attack or they will just walk passed your door see you in the room alone and attack.

Now if some terror group wants to sink a cruise ship they will a couple of high speed boats full of explosives, remember if a US warship can not protect itself, then what about a light aircraft crashing into the ship.

Yes the world is not what it used to be, but I for one am happy to see my name, as it stops me going to the wrong cabin.

yours Shogun

:D I want to thank each and everyone of you for making my lunch time reading so enjoyable. This has been one of the funniest threads I have read in a long time.

Keep up the good work and let's hear some more. I think you are all on a real roll.

I think this would make a great "top ten" for David Letterman.;) Top ten reasons not to have a name tag.

I never post to roll call threads and don't do much more than polite conversation with strangers onboard.

Wait just a minute here...you're not serious are you?

Common conversation while onboard to me...is one of the most enjoyable parts of cruising.I'll strike up a conversation with just about anyone who'll listen.;) I love talking to people...I didn't know it was bad for my health.And joining a Roll Call board just builds the excitement for me as well...getting to meet everyone on board is the icing on the cake.

If it gets to the point where I have to be paranoid about everything under the sun,I'll just stay in bed with the covers over my head 24/7.

I like the the names on our "SAIL MAIL" box. When people are delivering invitaions and other items, hopefully they will look at the names and make sure they are dropping them off at the right room.

Also it helps people at least on arrival to know that they are at the right room. People get confused and may be on the wrong deck and I think it's a great way to be welcomed to your room. There is no problem taking your names off your "SAIL MAIL" box.

Have you ever walked down the hall and saw someone trying to get in their room and then sheepishly look at the names and realize, it isn't their room?

I like the the names on our "SAIL MAIL" box. When people are delivering invitaions and other items, hopefully they will look at the names and make sure they are dropping them off at the right room.

Also it helps people at least on arrival to know that they are at the right room. People get confused and may be on the wrong deck and I think it's a great way to be welcomed to your room. There is no problem taking your names off your "SAIL MAIL" box.

Have you ever walked down the hall and saw someone trying to get in their room and then sheepishly look at the names and realize, it isn't their room?

I've done that - more than once! And like the OP, I was sober.:)

Taking first Princess Cruise in Feb and am really excited and look forward to seeing my name on the door. I always thought it would be a nice touch if Carnival did it, but glad to see Princess will make it happen.

If you don't want it then take it down, but please don't ruin it for all of us who do like it and look forward to it. America the land of the majority has for far too long been run by the minority.

Hi There,

I find all this talk so funny, first as some one who has been caught up in a bomb alert and has been warned off with a shot gun and then there was the guy in the office with the base ball bat that wanted to kill me but refused to hit me while I was sitting so smashed things up instead get a life.

Yes the world is not what it used to be, but I for one am happy to see my name, as it stops me going to the wrong cabin.

yours Shogun

............was this because you had your name on your door.......or do you just have interesting friends......:rolleyes:

Now, now! There are many dangerous people lurking on the Princess ships. If you don't believe me, just try getting into the laundry room to do a couple of loads! You gotta bring protection! I mean, some of these women get really brutal! :eek:

In these times of post-9/11 so many of us are overly paranoid about "privacy" and what is actually considered private data. Most laws governing public information in the US cite one's full name as public information. One specific law in question is FERPA (Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act), and at the college where I work all student's full names and addresses are considered public information. Want to buy a mailing list? Ask a college or university! They sell this data on a daily basis, as does your bank, your credit card companies and just about anyone else you do business with.

Go on your cruise and relax. Trust me, no one will be stalking you.

After the tilt incident on the Crown, my wife and I wanted to check to make sure the people we'd talked a lot at dinner with for the week were ok. We knew their names, and what deck they were in because they had a mini-suite, but didn't know exactly where they were. So we went wandering the hallway looking for their names. Made us a feel a little better to know they were ok, and they seemed to like that we'd thought of them.

Hi There JCS@SD,

The bomb alert was on my last Princess cruise while flying out of Venice airport,

The shotgun was one wet winters night when I acted as a watchman for a lorry load of compost, two blokes came up to me and ask what I was doing, they told me that they provided the guards in that part of town, they explained to me that this was there patch and it would cost me so much to stay save or the gun would be used, I phoned the police now I could see the police station from where I was parked, but the police were all out dealing with murders, the next day I spoke to the council who I was doing the job for, they new about the problem and paid off the gang, they also gave me a bodyguard for when I was working there.

As to the bloke with the base ball bat he was a contractor that I blocked his payment, due to his work not being correct, he would not hit me while I was sitting at my desk so wanted me to stand up, I kept seated and he went mad, my office mates all ran away, by the time the police arrived he had left.

Did my office have my name on it no, some kind person pointed the guy in the right direction, nice of them.

So do I feel unsafe on a cruise ship , well no, never, depends on how you see things.

yours Shogun

The shotgun was one wet winters night when I acted as a watchman for a lorry load of compost, two blokes came up to me and ask what I was doing, they told me that they provided the guards in that part of town, they explained to me that this was there patch and it would cost me so much to stay save or the gun would be used, I phoned the police now I could see the police station from where I was parked, but the police were all out dealing with murders, the next day I spoke to the council who I was doing the job for, they new about the problem and paid off the gang, they also gave me a bodyguard for when I was working there.

This is just so cute...a watchman for a truck of fertilizer, working for an org. which pays off the local criminals, and assigns a bodyguard for the security guard.... :rolleyes:

I think NOW, I've heard it all.

Hi There sjbdtz,

The local council was putting millions into doing up this part of the town the local gang wanted there part, there were a couple of TV shows about the problem, local MP was warned off by the gang, it has taken about ten years to break the power this gang had, it was the fact there were willing to shoot, beat up anyone that did not pay or spoke out which made it hard for the police catch them. At the time it was not a nice place to work. The kids got a new school they set fire to it in the first week.

yours Shogun

I am confused- nothing in my post suggested I had anything to hide. Where did this come from? I was simply commenting on the blackmail possibilities, as well as the fact that it does make me just a wee bit nervous because of my previous problems with criminals who not only want to be me, but apparently some who want my personal items as well. How this has to do with "hiding" anything... I am not sure.

Don't you think there are cheaper venues to try and "blackmail" someone??..like perhaps maybe at a grocery store instead of the "purp" spending money to cruise alongside you????...what has it gotten to teh point where people are afraid of there own shadows?...It's abig MEAN world out there!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Don't you think there are cheaper venues to try and "blackmail" someone??..like perhaps maybe at a grocery store instead of the "purp" spending money to cruise alongside you????...what has it gotten to teh point where people are afraid of there own shadows?...It's abig MEAN world out there!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

That is what I said, I will be the dumb crook that goes aboard to give one up for the team. :D

I have mixed feelings. While I do understand the privacy aspect of it, especially if traveling as a single woman, I will say it came in handy back in 2002 when locating a couple we met here on CC. I had written their cabin number down and forget to bring it along. And, I also forgot their last name. But, I was able to find two first names that matched theirs, so I called the cabin number and it was them! You should have seen my young daughter and I going up and down the hallways looking for their names. It was kind of fun, actually! And, later that evening we all met up for a glass of wine at another CC couple's cabin. It was the Grand Suite. Now THAT is a stateroom beyond description!

I always thought it was a classy touch.If someone didn't like it they could easily remove it.Now that Princess no longer puts the cabin numbers on the cruise cards,people would really have a hard time finding their cabins.

Archived