Tortuga Rum Cake

truecruiser

If you are taking a cruise that calls on Grand Cayman you can sample them for yourself. You will find many of the shops in Georgetown have sample Tortuga Rum cakes cut into squares to sample. We could have spent the whole day walking from one store to the next trying all the different flavors. They are wonderful cakes.

Let's put it this way. We bought a couple of 6 packs of the small cakes in assorted flavors last month. For Christmas, I spread the 6 cakes out on a table and let my relatives choose the flavor they wanted. You should have seen them grabbing those cakes up! LOL! You would have thought they were gold plated! So yes, I think it's a good investment. We paid $27 for a 6 pack at a little store on the port at Montego Bay. What other gift could I have given my cousins for less than $5? We didn't see them cheaper anywhere else. On our first cruise, we bought some that were Blackbeard's brand, and they were also very good....maybe not quite as RUMMY as the Tortuga cakes, but still very strong. I think coconut is my favorite flavor, but I also like the traditional cakes. Some say the key lime flavor is like a lemon pound cake.

Folks. The Bacardi Rum Cake is just as good if not even better. It is so very easy to make yourself. I've been making them for years. Do a search for the Bacardi Rum Cake recipe. So simple, even a cave man could make them. Here's one. You can skip the pudding mix if you use the cake mix with pudding already in it. Lots of rum and pecans. Caution: If your pastor drops by while baking or eating he may think you have an alcohol problem The aroma is devine.

http://baking.about.com/cs/cakes/a/bacardirum.htm

I totally agree, after sampling the flavors-always end up with favorite being Golden Original by Tortuga. If you type in rum cake- you can order from Tortuga, or some coffee houses seem to be a bit more reasonable pricing.

I prefer to eat cake cold I found out of refrigerator- must be just like eating frozen thin mint cookies too.

The sample packs of 4oz. cakes I've only seen on cruise ship gift shop or in port though. I also know they freeze well if you manage to have any left.

Enjoy!

They really are the perfect gift. Certainly unique, tasty, and not something you'll find at your local store. The ship gift shop sometimes has out samples of the original flavor. Every shop I've been to on an island has samples of every possible flavor. Pineapple and banana are my favorites. Yummy! On my last cruise I wrote down the gift shop prices and they were exactly the same as what was being offered in port. The only difference is your flavor choices.

I bought a couple in Cozumel for about $10 each for the small ones. I wish I'd tried Key Lime but just got pineapple and loved it. I ate it as soon as I got back on the ship, like in five minutes, just devoured it while DH was in the shower. He didn't even get a bite!!! I kept the little container as a souvenir and sometimes I just sit and stare at it, wishing it had a cake in it! I'm going back in a couple weeks and I'm going to stock up. They were about $3.00 more in the ship's store and they had less variety but I'm going to get one the second I get on that ship!!!!!

I bought the six pack also. I think it had original, key lime, chocolate, pineapple, coconut, and banana. I actually bought them at the ships gift shop, they were cheaper on board than at a shop in Grand Cayman. We're having a sail-away gathering for our Feb. 4 cruise in a week and I'll be serving some of them. Yum! I always buy them for gifts, people at work just devour them.

I'm sure you can tell by now that these are worth buying!!:p We love to eat them ourselves but I buy them to take to work. I could never afford to bring everyone back a souvenir but on my first day back we open them up and have a sampling party! Everyone loves them!!

My husband and several of his friends have a weekly poker game. He takes these cakes to share with his poker buddies and gets the same reaction!

Another bonus is they cause everyone to ask you about your cruise and it gives you an excuse to relive it over and over again!! :D

MMMMMM, Rum cakes. I LOVE THEM although I never purchased any.

Going to the factory in Grand Cayman was memorable for me. I had this fellow cruise passenger gentleman ( maybe 70ish, me 36 :o ) cut and serve a small slice from each flavor for me....LOL. Hmmmm, was he flirting??? :p I was so full by the end that I didn't have to buy any...lol

• 3 weeks later...
Folks. The Bacardi Rum Cake is just as good if not even better. It is so very easy to make yourself. I've been making them for years. Do a search for the Bacardi Rum Cake recipe. So simple, even a cave man could make them. Here's one. You can skip the pudding mix if you use the cake mix with pudding already in it. Lots of rum and pecans. Caution: If your pastor drops by while baking or eating he may think you have an alcohol problem The aroma is devine.

http://baking.about.com/cs/cakes/a/bacardirum.htm

My pastor wld bring his own fork, follow his nose, rush in, sit down & wait for a slice..:0)! Aroma was 'devine' and will be again & again - tried 2 cake recipes and even prefer the Malibu Rum cake (likely 'cause it uses a bit more rum)...U can add nuts to the Malibu recipe if u want also..

Thankyou so much for sharing - its wonderful to be able to make yourself a rum cake so easily...family says to thank you also :0) !!!

Yes very good and extremely rummy so don't get them if you don't like the taste of rum. ;)

There is also a tortuga rum cake factory in Nassau within walking distance of port. You can practically find it with your nose! They let you sample there too.

6 pack ran about $30 after tax. I can never remember who I should get souvineers for while on vacation so that 6 pack is a nice safety net... gives you a back up plan in case you forget someone...and if you don't? well, I doubt they'll go to waist. LOL.

Here is a tip I picked up somewhere along the way. Don't buy them on the ship. There is a reason they're cheaper. They sit on the ship for a while. They are packaged really well so I guess there is not too much risk in that but I went straight to the bakery to make sure I got the freshest cakes possible.

Whenever we cruise in the Caribbean, all my kids want as a gift is...you guessed...Tortuga Rum Cake. I buy the original flavour. This trip, though, I am going to try the rum cake from Barbados. Has anyone bought them? Did you like? Thanks!

Whenever we cruise in the Caribbean, all my kids want as a gift is...you guessed...Tortuga Rum Cake. I buy the original flavour. This trip, though, I am going to try the rum cake from Barbados. Has anyone bought them? Did you like? Thanks!

We bought some from the cruise terminal area for Royal Caribbean. They were from a small company and they were DELICIOUS! Would highly recommend. Also, if they're having samples of the creamy liquor there, give it a try. It's surprisingly good as well.

Archived