Tortuga Rum Cake

truecruiser

I made the Malibu Rum cake this weekend from the recipe in the link posted by hdawson (THANK YOU!!:) ) and it was delicious! It definitely didn't last long- especially with people going back for seconds! I haven't tried the purchased ones - but I will soon-yahoo! I'll try to report back ton the comparison- yummy!

• 4 weeks later...

I found the rum cakes in Bermuda to be the best ever, especially the chocolate- although the brand name escapes me. I prefer them to the Tortuga rum cake.

Rum cakes in Barbados are quite different. They are made from cherries, grapes, prunes etc. soaked in alcohol (rum and wine) for at least a month and then mixed and baked in a cake. They actually turn a very dark color and are called Black Cakes as opposed to a rum cake. They are very tasty and good ones are moist - once you don't eat it thinking it will taste like chocolate cake which is what I thought when I first ate it.:o

I have actually tried the rum/ Black cake from Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad, St. Vincent, St. Lucia and Guyana and I think that they are similar but the one in Barbados is superior.

In Grand Cayman we go to the Blackbeard Store for our cakes. The store itself is down the road a bit in a shopping plaza, but they have all flavors there. My favorite is peach. It tastes just like ripe peaches.

Downtown there is a kiosk that sells Blackbeard cakes too. They have many of the flavors there as well, but I think they don't have peach very often. These cakes are wonderful and are priced less than the Tortuga cakes.

We stayed in GC for a week a couple of years ago and brought home many of the cakes. They were gone in a very short period of time. The best part is tasting them in the islands. Then, when we get home, it's a great reminder of our trip.

Katie

If you eat them right out of the freezer, they will be sort of "fudgy" because the rum will keep them from freezing solid.

Once your supply is gone, give this recipe a try.

Cake:

1 pkg yellow cake mix

1 small pkg vanilla instant pudding mix

4 eggs

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup caribbean gold rum

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup pecans

Glaze:

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup caribbean gold rum

Pour the chopped pecans into the bottom of a greased bundt pan. Blend all cake ingredients and pour into pan. Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and turn out on to a serving plate. Drizzle with glaze and let rest for several hours (preferably 24 hours) before serving.

To make glaze, bring sugar, butter, and water to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, add rum, and return to heat until bubbly. Drizzle over cake.

Enjoy!:D

brought me one back 3 days ago when she got back from a Carnival cruise, her first, we popped it open and ate it together! It was the chocolate one, very nice. My grandmother used to make rum cake, very strong, Cheesecloth over cake helped hold the rum in as you applied it.

The Black rum cake described above sounded like my fruitcake recipe, I soak the fruits for days in rum and they all turn black, The cake turns out somewhat dark, but luscious! Great holiday fare!

If you can't make it to the islands to get a cake and are in Florida you can always pick one up at Bealls around the holidays.

Can't find it online at their site, but it is pretty reasonable in the store and they have a few of the flavors, but original is my fav. :)

• 2 weeks later...

These are surprisingly delicious. The only problem is that I could very easily eat an entire "gift pack" in one sitting (why do they call it a gift pack...the only one getting a "gift" out of it is my big fat butt, in the form of several extra pounds!)

By the way, the key lime is to die for, but I think there is a pineapple one and a coconut one, and those are both also amazing. The only one I don't care for is the chocolate, and that's just because I'm not a big chocolate person (I know...that's weird).

As said above, they are teriffic! My favorites are the pineapple, chocolate, and orginial. They are comparably priced on the ship and you can also order them on line. Though the shipping can get you.

I have tried making my own with some rum we bought in Nassau. Not as good as Tortuga, but definitely a good way to tide us over till we get some more Tortuga!

• 4 weeks later...
As said above, they are teriffic! My favorites are the pineapple, chocolate, and orginial. They are comparably priced on the ship and you can also order them on line. Though the shipping can get you.

I have tried making my own with some rum we bought in Nassau. Not as good as Tortuga, but definitely a good way to tide us over till we get some more Tortuga!

I made a rum cake today with coconut rum in the cake and gold rum in the sauce. It was delicious. The cake mix I had already had pudding in the mix so I didn't add the pudding. I also skipped the nuts. It was so delicious. I will be giving them for Christmas and the weight I save not buying them on my cruise, I will be buying flavored rum to make the cakes. Are my friends in for a surprise.

YUMMMMMMM

I made a rum cake today with coconut rum in the cake and gold rum in the sauce. It was delicious. The cake mix I had already had pudding in the mix so I didn't add the pudding. I also skipped the nuts. It was so delicious. I will be giving them for Christmas and the weight I save not buying them on my cruise, I will be buying flavored rum to make the cakes. Are my friends in for a surprise.

YUMMMMMMM

Lucky friends - wish I was one of them--:0) ...

I am trying your recipe - sounds wonderful. Clever idea...thanks very much for posting it - much appreciated..!

Have happy cruisin' & 'noshing' :0)

Folks. The Bacardi Rum Cake is just as good if not even better. It is so very easy to make yourself. I've been making them for years. Do a search for the Bacardi Rum Cake recipe. So simple, even a cave man could make them. Here's one. You can skip the pudding mix if you use the cake mix with pudding already in it. Lots of rum and pecans. Caution: If your pastor drops by while baking or eating he may think you have an alcohol problem The aroma is devine.

http://baking.about.com/cs/cakes/a/bacardirum.htm

I made this recipe and I had to send it to work with my husband the next day because I wanted to eat the whole thing. Let's just say there were only 5 people that ate some and they came back so many times, the plate was cleaned off. I used coconut rum in the cake and gold in the glaze. I also left the nuts out because of allergies these days (didn't want to kill any employees). You are right the smell is unbelievable and the taste is right up there too.

The Bermuda brand name rum cakes are Hortons,but they are expensive

and not nearly as luscious as the recipe by Hdawson..one that I have been

making for years.You can vary this recipe by using a chocolate cake mix

and chocolate pud..the Gosling black rum is good for this variation:a strong

Barbadian rum bottled in Bermuda.Yum Yummy!

We just went to Nassau in April. We stopped at the Tortuga store and bought a few of the small cakes as gifts for our relatives. They were very fresh and moist. We were able to sample the coconut flavor in the store, and we all loved it, so we bought the coconut, lime and a few original flavored cakes. The original flavor was great, but had a stronger rum taste than the coconut. We plan on eating the coconut cake for Mother's Day! The flavor definitely takes you right back on vacation!:)

We buy these cakes each cruise we take. As other posters have said they are a great gift for the friends/neighbors at home caring for your pets or taking in your mail. This past cruise we also bought the Tortuga Rum Coffee and the fudge @ Blackbeards in GC. They were also great. Give them a try on your next cruise.:)

IMO, tortuga rum cakes are the best so far! They are ADDICTIVE! One little piece is not enough to kill the craving! Whenever anyone from the office goes on vacation, that's what we bring.. a few rum cakes for all to share! mmmm mmm! Can't wait for the next trip!

Archived