Tortuga Rum Cake

truecruiser

Totally yummy and worth it! We recently visited the Rum Cake Factory in Halifax when we cruised to Canada and it was good but not as good as Tortuga. However, they had a whiskey cake that was phenomenal - OMG! :p

thanks all. think i'll finally pick one up this time.

You will also see other brands but Tortuga to me is the standard. Have tried Chocolate,Key Lime,Pinapple and admittedly original is my favorite and I am a chocoholic,and key lime pie fan. Not sure why it is so good.

The Pineapple also ranks up there as close to favorite.

Last cruise tried Calypso in Barbados-that is one strong kick of a cake.

They use 10 year aged rum!

I bought 4 oz size and cut away at it piece at a time one afternoon and it was gone by dinner!

So buy the bigger size!

You will also see other brands but Tortuga to me is the standard. Have tried Chocolate,Key Lime,Pinapple and admittedly original is my favorite and I am a chocoholic,and key lime pie fan. Not sure why it is so good.

The Pineapple also ranks up there as close to favorite.

Last cruise tried Calypso in Barbados-that is one strong kick of a cake.

They use 10 year aged rum!

I bought 4 oz size and cut away at it piece at a time one afternoon and it was gone by dinner!

So buy the bigger size!

I could have sworn that Rainforest was the other brand available in Barbados. But then I was there two years ago so maybe it's changed. I just remember going back and forth between the two stores tasting everything. I ended up with Rainforest because they tasted better and were cheaper. I'll be shopping for more this November.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the Tortuga Rum cakes. I like the 6 pack of assorted flavors and buy them on every cruise to take home. When I eat them back home it reminds me of the cruise. :) I also discovered Tortuga Coffee Rum Cream while we were in Grand Cayman last year. We only bought a small bottle, but I wish we would have bought more. It's not available here where I live. It was yummy! I'll be picking some up when we cruise next January.

• 2 weeks later...
We bought some in Barbados a long time ago, wish we had bought more! They were very strong in rum flavor, most, decadent. If I ever see them again while on my cruise, I would definitely buy for myself and friends!

Every cruise I have been on the Tortuga Rum cakes are available in ship gift shop.

I under bought last cruise--ate it all in cabin :eek: and wished I too had bought more. Makes for an interesting breakfast. I wonder if I took cakes to work to share at lunch if there is any "intoxicating" effects as rum isn't burned off more of poured on.

• 2 months later...

Bein' a pirate, I am contractually obligated to buy rum or things with rum in them. So, aye, I picked up my 6-Pack o' Tortuga Rum Cakes (I love the galleon on the box). I be savin' mine for when winter is in full fury here in N.E. Ohio, so that while it be blizzardin' away outside, I'll be noshing something tropical.

Odd, tho, that these cakes are so good...which they are, belike. The reviews I've seen state that Tortuga rum itself is not all that good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rum cakes in Barbados are quite different. They are made from cherries, grapes, prunes etc. soaked in alcohol (rum and wine) for at least a month and then mixed and baked in a cake. They actually turn a very dark color and are called Black Cakes as opposed to a rum cake. They are very tasty and good ones are moist - once you don't eat it thinking it will taste like chocolate cake which is what I thought when I first ate it.:o

I have actually tried the rum/ Black cake from Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad, St. Vincent, St. Lucia and Guyana and I think that they are similar but the one in Barbados is superior.

The above quote describes REAL Black Cake (Rum Cake)

The STUFF sell on the ship and it port is a SAD PATHETIC IMITATION of Black Cake. I Grew up Eating Black Cake it RUNS Circles Around RUM Soaked Sponge Cake. That Sponge CRAP Cannot HOLD a CANDLE to BLACK CAKE, I find it insulting or joke not sure which that SPONGE CAKE is being held up as an example of a good cake that has RUM in it.

I have tried that so called “Rum Cake” and was not impressed at all.

Free Advise NEVER Call that Sponge Crap RUM CAKE in the presence of someone of West Indian Background

That Crap available on the ship and in port is made for the Tourist industry

That’s my TWO Cents

The STUFF sell on the ship and it port is a SAD PATHETIC IMITATION of Black Cake. I Grew up Eating Black Cake it RUNS Circles Around RUM Soaked Sponge Cake. That Sponge CRAP Cannot HOLD a CANDLE to BLACK CAKE, I find it insulting or joke not sure which that SPONGE CAKE is being held up as an example of a good cake that has RUM in it.

Free Advise NEVER Call that Sponge Crap RUM CAKE in the presence of someone of West Indian Background

That’s my TWO Cents

I needed to VENT

Much Better NOW

From Wikipedia:

A rum cake is a type of dessert cake which contains rum.

In the Caribbean, rum cakes are a traditional ChristmasChristmas pudding introduced by English settlers.[1] Traditionally, dried fruit is soaked in rum for three months, then added to dough prepared with sugar which has been caramelized by boiling in water. The result, also known as "black cake", is similar to a fruitcake, with a lighter texture. It may be possible to become intoxicated from consumption of excessive rum cake, though some rum cakes such as Tortuga contain less than half of one percent alcohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_cake

Black Cake or dark fruit cake is a type of fruitcakebrown sugar and a bittersweet caramel called "browning". The wedding version is much stronger than the Christmas one.[citation needed] It is derived from the English plum pudding. Because Black Cake is soaked heavily in rum, it does not go bad - therefore it can be kept for many years and still be consumed. Traditionally, black cake is served in the Caribbean culture. People of Trinidadian, Jamaican, and Guyanese cultures serve this cake on special occasions. In St. Vincent and the Grenadines, a special wine, called Black wine is specially produced to be used in the making of black cake.Black cake is traditionally associated with Vincy Christmas.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cake

I found the rum cakes in Bermuda to be the best ever, especially the chocolate- although the brand name escapes me. I prefer them to the Tortuga rum cake.

Rum cakes in Barbados are quite different. They are made from cherries, grapes, prunes etc. soaked in alcohol (rum and wine) for at least a month and then mixed and baked in a cake. They actually turn a very dark color and are called Black Cakes as opposed to a rum cake. They are very tasty and good ones are moist - once you don't eat it thinking it will taste like chocolate cake which is what I thought when I first ate it.:o

I have actually tried the rum/ Black cake from Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad, St. Vincent, St. Lucia and Guyana and I think that they are similar but the one in Barbados is superior.

That’s my TWO Cents

There ALL I wanted to cover on ONE page RE: Tourist Rum Cake

• 2 weeks later...
Folks. The Bacardi Rum Cake is just as good if not even better. It is so very easy to make yourself. I've been making them for years. Do a search for the Bacardi Rum Cake recipe. So simple, even a cave man could make them. Here's one. You can skip the pudding mix if you use the cake mix with pudding already in it. Lots of rum and pecans. Caution: If your pastor drops by while baking or eating he may think you have an alcohol problem The aroma is devine.

http://baking.about.com/cs/cakes/a/bacardirum.htm

Absolutely agree that the Bacardi Rum Cake is as good (and I do think better) than the Tortuga Rum cakes. What I sampled in the caribbean was on the dry side, and not very fresh tasting.

Archived