Help me choose our Pre-cruise hotel in Galveston ...

Vellamint

I have it narrowed down to:

Comfort Suites 102 E Seawall (Stewart Beach)

Comfort Suites 6302 Seawall

Best Western 5914 Seawall

We are just looking for clean and convenient. Walkable to restaurants/grocery would be nice.

Has anyone stayed in any of these places? I managed to do a search and found a few people that stayed at the Best Western with mixed reviews. I cant find anything for the Comfort Suites other than the Stewart Beach one may not be near much.

Any of them have interior corridors...

Have already checked them out on Tripadvisor and they all fall within $10-20 of each other.

Any help would be appreciated.

We are just looking for clean and convenient. Walkable to restaurants/grocery would be nice.

Has anyone stayed in any of these places? I managed to do a search and found a few people that stayed at the Best Western with mixed reviews. I cant find anything for the Comfort Suites other than the Stewart Beach one may not be near much.

Have already checked them out on Tripadvisor and they all fall within $10-20 of each other.

Hola,

We stayed at the Best Western a couple of years ago. It was clean and served us well. We have also stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Beach twice. They have free parking for their cruise guest and a complimentary shuttle service to and from the cruise terminal. It worked well for us in the offseason, but is a little pricey at other times. Parking at one of the commercial lots will run from $35 to$55, so the free parking offsets the higher hotel fee. We used EZ-Park on our last trip and it was pretty disappointing. I had seen good reviews on the CC boards but our trip was a fiasco. I bet that we waited 2 hours to be shuttled back to the parking lot.

I would highly recommend Gaido's Seaside Inn, very reasonable and very cheap, also they give Cruise specials, whether you choose eating at a restuarant, or taking the discount for the stay....this is located at 37th and Seawall. The hotel is a very clean hotel....directly across the street is the beach. The hotel also offers free cruise parking...the only draw back to this is you have to take a cab to the pier which will cost from $10-14 each way. They have security patrols to watch the vehicles.....

go to galveston.com to view the hotel!

• 1 month later...

I couldn't find a good deal with any of the hotels that offer "so-called" free parking. They've all got terribly inflated prices.

For our trip in July I believe we'll be using the Motel 6 and lighthouse parking. Of course, I still have time to price compare :-)

It will be $68 for the motel and $50 for the parking. Any combined offers less than $120?

there is no way that the Hotel Galvez, or the Tremont or the Harbour House, lower their price below $150 for their rooms.

It depends on the nights and time of year. Fall rates for the Galvez and the Tremont are below $150, even for a Friday night stay. (Weekends are usually much higher than other nights.) Tremont is $122 for Thursday, and I think $135 for Friday.

If you have a car way not look in to alternatives like the area up around NASA.. from there it is like a 30 min drive to the pier... You might find deals in that area you are not in Galveston.

Just an idea have a look at the Hampton Inn & Suites Clear Lake / NASA - they are just off the I 45

The Galvez is a beautifully restored historic hotel across Seawall Blvd from the ocean. We feel it is worth the extra. View it as an enjoyable extension to your trip rather than a cheap place to stay!

The Tremont run by the same folks, is the same type old but refurbished hotel, and is in the Strand historic district (not by the beach). It is within walking distance to a bunch of interesting stuff to see and do. It is also blocks from the cruise ship terminal. We have enjoyed staying at both.

I couldn't find a good deal with any of the hotels that offer "so-called" free parking. They've all got terribly inflated prices.

For our trip in July I believe we'll be using the Motel 6 and lighthouse parking. Of course, I still have time to price compare :-)

It will be $68 for the motel and $50 for the parking. Any combined offers less than $120?

We are staying at the La Quinta on the 16th for $109, that includes cruise parking, but no shuttle. I figured a taxi the 2 miles to the ship may be $10.

The Galvez is a beautifully restored historic hotel across Seawall Blvd from the ocean. We feel it is worth the extra. View it as an enjoyable extension to your trip rather than a cheap place to stay!

The Tremont run by the same folks, is the same type old but refurbished hotel, and is in the Strand historic district (not by the beach). It is within walking distance to a bunch of interesting stuff to see and do. It is also blocks from the cruise ship terminal. We have enjoyed staying at both.

Hughdm,

I am staying at the Tremont in September. Do you know if the tremont has a shuttle to the pier????

damn that is avery good rate, where did you get that rate at!

From Wyndhams website. First it is not on a week-end which makes a big difference!!!! Its for thurday 3/29 when we return from our cruise. It is a webrate where I payed upon reservation. They had a AAA rate of $97 and a best rate of $99 for the same night, so they are all reasonable. Now our hotel stay before our cruise leaves, which will be on a Friday at the Tremont will run arpond $150. At least we still get the benefit of using the Galvez for parking. I was really surprised at the difference in hotel rates from weekday to weekend!!!:eek:

We are staying at the La Quinta on the 16th for $109, that includes cruise parking, but no shuttle. I figured a taxi the 2 miles to the ship may be $10.

We are staying at the La Quinta Inn and Suites on April 15th for $60. We can park our car there while on the cruise and for an additional $10 per room (not pp) we can take their shuttle. I thought it sounded like a heck of a deal!!!:p

Hughdm,

I am staying at the Tremont in September. Do you know if the tremont has a shuttle to the pier????

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We stayed there for fun not related to a cruise, so I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I've read elsewhere that they do. It would be a VERY short cab ride even if they don't.

You can walk to the terminal from the Tremont, only about 3 blocks if you are so inclined.

Any where in Galveston will not be a long cab ride.

The Comfort Inn at 63rd is new and would be my choice of the two.

Also the La Quinta at 82nd and Seawall is a newer property.

Galveston has always been a weekend beach town which is why the prices are higher then, at times, they've demanded a two night minimum.

There are any number of beach/resort wear shops on the island also Academy 45th and Seawall has excellent prices on swim/outdoor wear and snorkel gear, the Wall Mart at 62nd and Seawall as well, If you need things of this nature.

Archived