Horror on the high seas

brad_p

Hi guys, thought I better introduce myself. I'm Brad, live in Auckland, New Zealand and have been lurking around here for a while. I am planning to go on my first cruise with my fiance for our honeymoon. We're looking at FOS but by the time we save enough money it will probably be one of the Genesis ships we end up sailing on LOL.

Anyway, just wanting to know your opinion if you have read the book this site is talking about. The book is called: Overboard: The Stories Cruise Lines Don't Want Told by Gwyn Topham (Random House). The site is: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3937818a34.html - would be interested to know your thoughts.

One more thing, thanks all for the valuable feedback you have provided. Just watching the boards has given me some very helpful info.

Thanks guys :-)

Brad

It is true that mishaps and deaths occur much more frequently than advertised. I know that to be fact from my 11 years in the U.S. Coast Guard. But, the stats are not nearly high enough to constitute a concern. As in any scenario, due care and common sense has to be observed.

Aslo speaking from cruising experience, you really have nothing to be concerned with. Just don't drink yourself into an oblivion. Cruise ship crime is almost always that of minor in nature, like theft. Again, like anywhere else, don't leave valuables unattended.

yeah over-drinking did seem to be the common trend. I guess it does come down to common sense. Obviously I just want everything to be perfect.

I am confused about Norovirus though? Would hate to be in my room vomiting for half on my holiday. The thing that confuses me is that it seems as if the only prevention to this is sanatising your hands before dinner - but that kills bacteria not viruses.

Brad - Two things. When they talk about cruise ship problems, remember this. Just RCI has 19 ships afloat at, say an average of 2500 PAX per week times 52 weeks equals about 1.3 Million a year. Compare the stats for the cruiseline with the stats for a town of that size.

Use plenty of soap and water along with the Purell (or whatever the sanitizer of choice is) and reduce the odds of getting sick. The media make a big deal about cruise ship sickness and ignore the fact that the same thing happens all over the world in schools, hotels, factories and offices.

I am confused about Norovirus though? Would hate to be in my room vomiting for half on my holiday. The thing that confuses me is that it seems as if the only prevention to this is sanatising your hands before dinner - but that kills bacteria not viruses.

You're right. Hand sanitizer kills germs, not viruses. A week before my cruises, I start loading up on Vitamin C and continue through the vacation. I have never been sick on a cruise.

Norovirus is sweeping the USA right now -- not just cruise ships. It's everywhere- retirement homes, schools, individual houses --- it's highly contagious and can "attack" anywhere -- just seems worse on a ship because you are on vacation!

I am a TA and just had a client fly from Nashville to Oahu - and she spent most of her week in Hawaii in the condo sick with Norovirus -- probably picked up on the airplane over --- you just never know.

I've been on many cruises - never sick yet. Just use lots of common sense -- Vit. C, Echineca and lots of hand washing/Purel!!

A couple of things to go along with everyone else. Yes people do "fall" from cruise ships and some jump off ships, and some even just die aboard of natural causes. But added all together, over the last 15 years, the total compared to all pax sailed, does not even come to a tiny PART of a single percentage point. The missing, dead, died, and suicide rates ashore come to a sizable percentage of the total population. So its safer to be at sea.

"NOROVIRUS"? Go to the CDC [Centers for Disease Control] website and read ALL about it. The percentage that catch it on land each year-8%, the percentage that catch it on cruise ships each year- just under 1%.

That means every 12 and a half years, EVERYBODY on land will catch it. Whereas you could cruise for 100 years before you catch it.

Bast to be "feet wet" all the time.:D

Dan

Thanks for your feedback everyone

Anytime.. Thats what we are here for.

Keep in mind, it is news when a ship returns and people are sick. But it is the media that normally blows it way out of proportion.

For example, I was in Belize or Costa Maya (forgot) and the Explorer pulled up next to me. I spoke with a passenger and they said they had some sick people on board. He said he spoke with a few crew and knew someone who worked on board and they said between 50 - 100 people were sick, out of 2800.

When we returned to the states, the next day, it was on the news thet the "whole" ship was sick... Better ratings for the news broadcast.

I have also had friends that have gone to all inclusive resorts in the caribbean.. They had the same thing happen.. Of course it doesn't hit prime time because that island doesn't travel back to a U.S. port.

What I am getting at is I have cruised 3 times and have been very very intoxicated (hey it happens) and felt safe all the time. Given you have to use commen sense, you are on a small city. But overall I find it MUCH safer then traveling to a third world island / mexico etc.

Happy Cruising. You will love it.!

Any doctor will tell you so. Hand washing (for 20+ seconds in warm water w/ soap) DOES wash viruses & bacteria away. Purell is a stop gap--but hey, if you kill the bacteria, that's half the battle to getting ill on ship.

Funny, rarely do they KNOW it is norovirus...it could be any number of gastrointestinal viruses OR bacterias!

But be smart...exercise, eating right, washing hands, avoiding touching public surfaces (like stair rails), avoid touching hands to face, get fresh air, drink enough water...

Frankly, DH & I feel the reason we have never been ill on vacation is the amount of alcohol we consume...kills everything on contact!:eek: :D

Norovirus is one of the most contageous and oldest viruses around. More than likely you've already had it. The problem is, you can get it again. It is spread by people not washing their hands after going to the bathroom and then touching some popular surface (like tongs at a buffet). One reason it's so contageous is because (unlike most other viruses) it's airborne for a short period of time. At NCL (with other lines following suit), there are hand sanitizers all over the place. And, at the buffet, the crew members all but insist on you using it before you pick up a tray.

Best defense: wash your hands (and use Purell) frequently. And, (this is the one that I have a hard time with) don't touch your face while out and about.

Oh, and it is everywhere. Just last weekend the Hilton near BWI airport here in MD (I think it was BWI) was closed for 3 days because of an outbreak.

Don't worry about the cruise. Just because of the fact it's your honeymoon, it WILL be perfect! Congratulations, BTW.

Happy Sailing!!! :D

Hi Brad,

As a poster has mentioned Novovirus is everywhere, or as it is generically known here down under - gastro! And as someone else mentioned, this is most definitely present in the land of the long white cloud - my parents returned from a tour of New Zealand late last year with that unfortunate souvenir which they passed on to me, but I guess this was only fair after their entire coach load was sick with this for half of their 2 week tour!!! Just use the same precautions you would at Hungry Jacks or Macca's :) and keep the Imodium on hand...

Congrats on the pending nuptials and I hope you enjoy whatever it is you finally do on your honeymoon :D

Norovirus is one of the most contageous and oldest viruses around. More than likely you've already had it. The problem is, you can get it again. It is spread by people not washing their hands after going to the bathroom and then touching some popular surface (like tongs at a buffet). One reason it's so contageous is because (unlike most other viruses) it's airborne for a short period of time. At NCL (with other lines following suit), there are hand sanitizers all over the place. And, at the buffet, the crew members all but insist on you using it before you pick up a tray.

Best defense: wash your hands (and use Purell) frequently. And, (this is the one that I have a hard time with) don't touch your face while out and about.

Oh, and it is everywhere. Just last weekend the Hilton near BWI airport here in MD (I think it was BWI) was closed for 3 days because of an outbreak.

Don't worry about the cruise. Just because of the fact it's your honeymoon, it WILL be perfect! Congratulations, BTW.

Happy Sailing!!! :D

Everything you say is TRUE. However, the hand sanitizers [Purell, et all.] do kill bacteria and some viruses but have ZERO effect against the "NOROVIRUS". The hand sanitizing efforts buy the crew are mostly window dressing to make the pax feel good. [but don't do any harm]

Hand Washing, again, again, again to combat Noro.

Dan

My take on the whole thing is that it is a headline grabber to report something that happens on a "luxury cruise ship". Just like when bad thing happen to socialites or celebrities, it is more interesting if it happens to people that some assume are "better off" than the general public.

It's more sensational than say a suicide at the local library, or illness at your neighborhood school. We are inundated every day with bad news and people become a little too used to it, so something has to spice it up. It's almost a shame that we have to get our "news fix" with the next heartbreaking incident (for someone) that seems bigger than the last one.

All accidents, crime, illness or whatever happens on a cruise ship is horrible. Just like all that happens in your own home town or land vacation. It's just that the news is more widespread when it happens on a ship, instead of local it goes international. That they mention it over and over and over again seems to make some think the incidents are separate and many, instead of the same incident.

How many times have I read of a "rash" of people falling from cruise ships. Yes, people have fallen off, much of it because of way too much alcohol consumption or intentional suicide. In reality, the number is very small, if you compare it to the number of people who cruise every year.

The funny part (if there is any funny part :rolleyes: ) is that the file footage news media uses is of very old ships, like Carnival Holiday, the oldest and smallest of the Carnival fleet.

The vast majority of people are safe on a cruise, especially when they take precautions and responsibility for their own safety.

Bad stuff happens. Home, driving, cruising. Yes, the stats are probably underreported. It's a shame, because it gives the idea that there is something horrible to hide. I don't think so. In an age of instant communication, trully horrific things leak out.

Just go, take precautions and have fun.

The percentage that catch it on land each year-8%, the percentage that catch it on cruise ships each year- just under 1%.

That means every 12 and a half years, EVERYBODY on land will catch it. Whereas you could cruise for 100 years before you catch it.

Best to be "feet wet" all the time.:D

Dan

So say I cruise for one week a year and stand a 1% chance of catching it.

On the other hand, I'll spend 51 weeks of the year on land and have an 8% chance of catching it.

The way I read it, my odds of catching the virus on any given week are much lower on land than at sea. Which would make sense because at sea there's a much higher concentration of people in a confined area sharing public facilities, restrooms, restaurants, etc. than in my non-cruising life.

You're right. Hand sanitizer kills germs, not viruses. A week before my cruises, I start loading up on Vitamin C and continue through the vacation. I have never been sick on a cruise.

Remember that viruses attach to particles-dust,dirt,food etc.

Hand washing to get thest particles off the hands.

The 62% Alcohol may kill bacteria and not viruses, but it also acts as a cleaning agent to get the stuff off your hands that the viruses attach to. Use both.

Joke,

Now for airborne viruses. Drink strong liquor. Ha!! No seriously you have to breathe, but if aboard a sick ship, stay outside.

Or better yet, go smoke. No self respecting virus will hang around all that smoke. They might die. Just kidding.

So say I cruise for one week a year and stand a 1% chance of catching it.

On the other hand, I'll spend 51 weeks of the year on land and have an 8% chance of catching it.

The way I read it, my odds of catching the virus on any given week are much lower on land than at sea. Which would make sense because at sea there's a much higher concentration of people in a confined area sharing public facilities, restrooms, restaurants, etc. than in my non-cruising life.

NO, according to the CDC, 1% of total ANNUAL cruisers contract NOROVIRUS. So any one 7 day cruise gives you a 1/52 of 1% chance of catching "Noro"

Twist all you want but you still have an 8 times greater infection rate on land.

If memory serves, cruiselines are not required to report infections involving less than 3 % of persons aboard and rarely does a "sick ship" involve more than 5% of pax

Archived