How do you compare Regent to Silversea?

dafne

Hi, not sure why no one else has responded. I think there are probably a lot of folks who have cruised on both. I have been on one SS and 3 Regent. They are similar, really. I think Regent may be a little warmer, but pretty much when you compare each of the factors that go into a great cruise, they both come out pretty well.

Don't know if you have kids - Regent does do a kids program and SS does not. But I definitely saw kids on the SS cruise my husband and I went on 2 1/2 years ago. In fact, we are going on another SS cruise over the holidays this year and taking our 12 year old daughter.

Go to the Regent board to read about Navigator. I have been on her twice and think she is great for a small ship.

Best, NJBelle

I was on Navigator in December with (new) friends who SS regulars. They said that as far as the ship went, it was very similar to one of the SS ships (can't remember which one.)

Navigator had a complete soft-goods refit in December, just before our cruise. New carpets, new bedding, upholstery, lots of other work as well. It's in very nice shape.

With Regent all-inclusive, there's really little distinction in my mind between the two lines. The largest Regent ships are larger than the largest SS ships; but they are not so large to lose the sense of intimacy. The larger size means more variety in terms of bars and restaurants. I think that Regent offers better value for money, but this will depend upon what cruise you are selecting, rates on the two lines, etc.

Unless of course, you like caviar. On Silversea it is included (as often as you lie) in the restaurant or in your suite. On Regent you pay a hefty fee.

You have to lie in the restaurant to get caviar?? ;)

Host Dan

• 2 weeks later...
I was on Navigator in December with (new) friends who SS regulars. They said that as far as the ship went, it was very similar to one of the SS ships (can't remember which one.)

Navigator had a complete soft-goods refit in December, just before our cruise. New carpets, new bedding, upholstery, lots of other work as well. It's in very nice shape.

We were the ones that sailed on the Navigator with Wendy. It was so similar to being on the Whisper, that it was uncanny! We have been on the Silver Whisper three times and the Navigator cruise made it feel like this was our fourth Whisper cruise!

I think they are both very comparable and you will not be disappointed. Especially now that Regent has gone all inclusive. The only suggestion that I would make is to definately stay away from the aft cabins on the Navigator. It does have some well known vibration issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on the Navigator twice and the Silver Cloud once. I won't bring up differences mentioned above, as I agree with all of them. On the vibration issue, we found the Cloud to be the most vibration free ship on which we have cruised. The suites in the lower price range (if it can be said that SS or RSSC has any!) are larger on the Navigator than on the Cloud. On food, I'm not really qulified to comment. I liked it all. Service is more formal on SS and more "chummy" on RSSC. It must also be noted that the Navigator cruises we were on (Alaska and Bermuda) were both all casual dress code, while our Cloud cruise was Baltic, and had formal nights. But we've been on plenty of RSSC cruises with formal nights, and feel that SS is more formal. On RSSC, I've always felt fine in a dark suit. On the Cloud, I brought my tux, and am glad I did in order to fit in.

We'd cruise either SS or RSSC again in a minute. Our selection would be based on price and itinerary -- and not on line preference.

Thanks,

Richard

Archived