Train from Alexandria to Cairo

Charity0000

We took a Grand Circle Tour to Egypt last March. As part of it we took the train from Cairo to Alexandria. It took about 2 1/2 hours. Security at the Cairo train station was EXTREMELY tight.

The train (especially bathrooms) was dirty.

Other than that it was a nice trip. We spent the day in Alexandria then were bussed back to Cairo.

Paul

We are on a cruise this summer than stops in Alexandria and want to know if anyone has ever taken the train from Alexandria to Cairo. Is this safe? Did you have any problems? How was it?

thanks!

hi., have done this trip several times. Best recomendation is not to consider anything less than 1st class......or you will more than likely be sitting onthe roof...just kidding but 2nd class is close! From memory, and I can confirm this if you want as well as give you the address for timetables etc, but I think it was about 30 pounds egyptian, (about $7 USD)

If you are doing it on your own., its helpful to find someone who speaks english as well as arabic at the station to get your ticket. The ticket sellers do not generally speak english and trying to make yourself understood to them would be problematic.

Its a very scenic trip....take your own water and somthing to munch on the train and enjoy!

hi, I'm Egyptian.

Please take my advise, why taking the train??????

It will not safe for you, many travel agents in Egypt offer excellent shore excursions with excellent rates and they colloect you direct from the port and include a fantastic day tour in Cairo & even over night in Cairo.

If you will need my help, please advise

hi, I'm Egyptian.

Please take my advise, why taking the train??????

It will not safe for you, many travel agents in Egypt offer excellent shore excursions with excellent rates and they colloect you direct from the port and include a fantastic day tour in Cairo & even over night in Cairo.

If you will need my help, please advise

I wanted to take the train to save money and be adventurous. All the excursions i have seen that pick you up in Alexandria have been expensive. I am not traveling alone, with my husband. Why do you think it is unsafe? Once I get to Cairo, I would hire a guide and driver to take us around.

thank you all for your advice

I wanted to take the train to save money and be adventurous. All the excursions i have seen that pick you up in Alexandria have been expensive. I am not traveling alone, with my husband. Why do you think it is unsafe? Once I get to Cairo, I would hire a guide and driver to take us around.

thank you all for your advice

I think it will be high risky to travel by yourself, because you will meet a lot of troubles & will not have an experience person to help you, especially when the time is to limited and you have to return back to your ship on the right time and this will be guaranteed only with an experienced travel agent which will care about you and avoid any unexpected reason of delaying and missing your ship.

Also, the travel agents have the best rates because of the big competition in this field and it be contracted before landing the port of call, if you hire a driver and guide by yourself they will be sure that you have to pay them because you don't have time to compare rates and sure you will pay more than the travel agent rate.

We are on a cruise this summer than stops in Alexandria and want to know if anyone has ever taken the train from Alexandria to Cairo. Is this safe? Did you have any problems? How was it?

thanks!

hey Chairity., I beg to differ with the previous reply., the 1st class trains are safe and the egyptians are very respectful in my experience of travellers. There are heavy penalties for taxi drivers or locals who rip off tourists, and a simple threat to refer the matter to the tourist police will make the most argumentative taxi driver recant.

If you are aiming to save the money and are a bit adventurous and careful you will have a unique and exciting experience travelling on your own. Ive been there 5 times and wouldnt go any other way now.

There are a lot of misconceptions about safety in Egypt, usually spread by people with a hidden agenda.

The Train station is very easy to find in Alexandria, close to the waterfront and in the centre of town, taxis are very cheap, and the train station at Cairo is also in the middle of town and a cheap taxi ride to the Pyrimids, about $15 - $20 USD if you sitck to your guns) and the Cairo Museum should be about $5USD. As previously mentioned the 1st class train ticket is about $7 - $10usd. When I was in Cairo in September, the hotel travel agent was charging $100usd for the pleasure of providing the same ticket, on the same train.

Simple maths as far as my budget allowed.

Good luck, hope adventure wins!

in case it helps...here are some taxi costs as of sept 2006 ( taken from my diary), airport- city 30egyptian pounds, city pryamids 30egpnds whole day 50 - 100egpnds or as a rule of thumb, 5 - 10 minutes in a taxi should cost up to 10egpnds. tipping is expected, but 10% is more than acceptable, though each occasion will dictate. Stick to your guns and budget, bargaining is an artform and game to locals. If you get into an argument, or feel unsafe or threatened there are tourist police everywhere. You can see them easily as they are wearing white and have badges which indicate which language they speak.,

EVERYONE....but EVERYONE....will want to be your guide., if you decide to choose one, make sure you see their car and negotiate rate before you agree.....and of course....make sure they speak enough english to be able to comunicate satisfactorally.

Egypt IS the most fascinating and amazing place on earth, you will have a fantastic adventure...cant wait to go back in April 2008 myself.. Let us all know how you get on..

there will be pleanty of taxis available at the port., again....everyone will want to be your guide so ask to see their car first and how much...this will make everyone compete amongst themselves..(saves you doing it) pick one...ask to see his car before you commit...and dont hesitate if you dont like the looks of it (particulary its safety) to say no. Id buy tickets at the station. The economy is such..unfortunately.. that 1st class wont be booked out...most locals can only travel 2nd class or worse! My best piece of advice is to get a guide book with arabic in it that asks simple questions such as "can I have a ticket to...." In my first trips to Egypt I had a "lonely planet" book which had questions such as this also written and it was easy to point to the relevant question....simple but very very effective.

Can I add just one last point....and I dont want to harp on about it... but when you travel there you will realise how much we have here in the Western World and how much difference you can make to someones life for only a few dollars. If you find you ended up paying a few more dollars more than perhaps you should have., please, please dont get too twisted about it. A few dollars to us makes little difference, but to an Egyptian it could make an incredible difference.... and you get the satisfaction of knowing you may have helped...all for the price of a little pride! (and a great story when you get home)..just dont over tip....it makes it harder for us poor antipodeans!!!

Yes, go ahead and take the train.

Do go 1st class, and if possible take the trains listed as "Turbo". Have a "early" breakfast onboard and take some fruit with you. There's a morning train at 8:00 AM, gets into Cairo Main Station just after 10. Refreshments and snacks were sold from a cart onboard.....train full of businessmen.

Lots of taxis outside the port terminal, less than 10 minutes to the Main station in Alex. Ticket windows on one side of main hall in station, no problem. Have Egyptian currency.

In Cairo, train arrives at Main station at Midan Ramses; you can catch a cab outside, but traffic is horrible. Also can take subway (clean and efficient, easy to navigate) over to Midan Sadat for the Museum.

Unfortunately, subway not finished out to Giza/Pyramids, but easy to get a cab from the Museum or the Nile Hilton next door (good shops and restaurants).

If possible, suggest you splurge and stay at Mena House directly opposite the Pyramids for both the view and convenience of being within walking distance. Hard to beat waking up the next morning with the Great Pyramid up-close and personal.

Also do the English-language sound-and-light. Overpriced, hokey but fun and pre-arrange cab drop-off and pickup despite the cost.

After buffet breakfast in the morning, you can cab back to Cairo and catch the train to Alex, giving yourself some time to look around before sailing.

Under no circumstances should you take the "luxury bus service" offered between the two cities. It is notoriously unreliable and does not adhere to the so-called schedule. Do not try it !

• 3 weeks later...

Caroliner, thanks for further information on your experience. We plan to do more or less exactly what you did! :D

My only concern is our ship is listed to dock at 7am (NCL Jewel). I'm wondering how quick we'll be able to get off in order to make that 8am train because the next doesn't go until 10am. :confused:

mandiecandie.....you read my mind.. I am also on the Jewel and was wondering if if the 7AM docking time would allow us to catch the 8AM train?

This is my first cruise, so I really don't even know how to judge it. I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any insight on this question?

BTW, are you on the May 31st Jewel from Athens?

mandiecandie.....you read my mind.. I am also on the Jewel and was wondering if if the 7AM docking time would allow us to catch the 8AM train?

This is my first cruise, so I really don't even know how to judge it. I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any insight on this question?

BTW, are you on the May 31st Jewel from Athens?

dont know if this helps but....the train station is probably only 5 - 8 minutes drive from where i think your ship will berth.....my experience of this particular train is that it runs ontime, at least in my experience........how long it will take to disembark is more the point...if you are able to be disembarked within 1/2 hour you should have time to get a taxi., buy the ticket and get on board.

Roscoe-Thanks, we will be prepared with egyptian currency and hope for the best.

Charity-Yes we are on the May 31st Jewel sailing :) Just booked last week.

go...have an adventure !....from memory., I think I have paid in US currency at the train station but please dont rely on that...(youll certainly pay "tourist" prices if you do!! If for some reason Cairo doesnt come off for you....alexandria has an amazing museum, great diving..(right in the harbour on Cleopatras Palace) and some great sites on its own.

I would not discourage you from "doing it on your own" but you really need to do your homework. There are only 1 or 2 "Turbo" trains a day between Alexandria and Cairo so this does not alway work (these trains make the trip in about 2 hours). Other trains take from 2 1/2 hour to over 5 hours, and that assumes they run on time (not always the case). A car/driver will be a little faster and you might want to see if you can find someone on-line that will give you a good deal for the day. Hiring a car/driver in Egypt can be a real bargain, and the road from Alexandria to Cairo is a decent 4 lane highway with a decent rest stop area about half way. However, it is common to get stopped at least once on this road by the police or soldiers who do spot checks (not a problem but it slows you down). If you have your heart set on the train, there used to be a "Turbo" train from Alexandria around 8 AM. If there is anyway you can make this train (you should check the current schedule) it would really be a good thing.

Hank

All the info given above is great, but I just wanted to point out two more websites that have been helpful to us in our planning for Egypt:

http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm

has a great overview of all of the trains and some of the buses to the areas of interest in Egypt, and the official egyptrail site

http://www.egyptrail.gov.eg/docs/index.html

has up-to-date info on train times and prices.

We were last in Egypt in 2002, and never had any problems with the trains, buses, or subways when we were there (we did the scruffy backpack route last time). It's a great country, and we are really looking forward to going back.

(We're on the May 31 sailing as well - I need to get over to that sailing's board....)

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We will be staying in Cairo for a few days before getting on our ship in Alexandria. If we take the train, will we have any problem with luggage?

No, there are helpful porters and Tourist Police everywhere, who will be only too pleased to help you, in return for a little something, of course.

Just remember to agree a firm price with taxi drivers in advance!

I presume you've looked at this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=656424&page=2

The Turbo (2hr 10min) train cost 46 EGP first-class one-way last week. The wide reclining seats in first class were very comfortable, if a bit shabby, like first class on a US airline in Chapter 11. OUr trains were about twelve minutes late in each direction, which is on a par with Britain.

And good news, the official Egypt Rail site is working again after some weeks: http://www.egyptrail.gov.eg/docs/index.html

Archived