Alcohol - Do cabin stewards care?

OK - first off, I am not looking for any comments on whether or not it is OK to bring alcohol on the ship. So if you are offended by people who do this, please stop reading. I just would like to know this: If I DO bring alcohol on, and it makes it to my cabin, do I need to "hide" it from the cabin steward? Has anyone ever had a steward report it?

The general consensus is that the steward won't squeal on you, because they depend on your tips for their survival.

However, there has been at least one post on here where the housekeeping supervisor was inspecting the room, spotted a smuggled bottle, and arranged to have it stored until the end of the cruise. A note was left for the occupants advising them that the bottle had been taken and would be returned on the night before disembarkation.

LL

I've brought my own wine on various cruises and left it in plain view in the stateroom. Never has the cabin steward mentioned or done anything, and I would expect nothing has changed. IMHO stewards are not the booze police, nor do they want to have that as part of their job description. They are there to keep the room tidy, for which they are given gratuities.

was on the Freedom in Jan. with a large group...Everyone had brought booze with them and left it out in their cabins...the stewards never touched it, in fact they were very good about making sure sure all our coolers were always filled with ice...

They don't care--they are there to clean your cabin--period! While we do take care to keep valuables in the safe (just like you would in a hotel), sometimes things are left about and we've NEVER had anything bothered. Alcohol included.

I have always taken wine aboard with no problems. Most of the stewards had my chardonnay on ice for me. My last trip on the Sovereign we brought wine and liquor. We always had ice and clean glasses for our pre-dinner drinks while getting ready.

Of course I tipped very well....

I am planning on having a basket delivered to my room with liquor in it...let me tell you if the if the person in charge even thinks of taking it out of my room after I paid for it to be there...there will be HE!! to pay!! How would he know if it was smuggled on or legally purchased??

I am planning on having a basket delivered to my room with liquor in it...let me tell you if the if the person in charge even thinks of taking it out of my room after I paid for it to be there...there will be HE!! to pay!! How would he know if it was smuggled on or legally purchased??

Great Point!!

While I doubt the steward will take any action, you do not know what instructions that steward's supervisor gives. In consideration of your steward, you may want to keep your contraband in a drawer or cabinet.

D

OK - first off, I am not looking for any comments on whether or not it is OK to bring alcohol on the ship. So if you are offended by people who do this, please stop reading.

Why? So you don't have to respond to honest criticism?

Smuggling results in higher cruise prices for everyone, especially those who abide by their cruise contracts and do not smuggle.

Your choice does affect me. I am paying more for my cruise because you smuggle.

Please do not tell me not to read or respond when your decision truly does affect me!

We always leave it out. Never an issue. Your smuggling doesn't increase cruise costs, so don't listen to those other posts. They act like your carrying around a 35 gallon drum with a hose attached to your mouth all day just so you can drink your own liquor! We also leave all the open liquor and some we just can't bring back with the steward who always has a big smile on his face when we give it to him! Opinion is one thing and it can be stated in a nice way That was not honest "criticsim". By the way, the lady wasn't looking for your criticism, she was looking for an opinion, they are different.

My only question (quite clearly stated) was "do the cabin stewards care". I did not ask anyone (YOGIMAX) if they thought bringing alcohol on board effects them. If you would like to give your opinion on that matter, find a thread that asked that question.

I think you could be in for a big surprise. Although RCI allows wine to be delivered to it's ports, many of them can't have liquor delivered. The people who deliver the wine pay RCI a fee, which you in turn pay, to allow deliveries of wine to the cabin. Therefore, the cabin steward knows it's been delivered because in all probability he's the one putting it in the room.

I checked regarding having liquor delivered to Mariner and was told by Shelley last fall that she couldn't deliver liquor. Wine was ok, but not liquor. So, I guess it depends on the port as to whether or not liquor could be delivered. She sent me a price list and I am not sure, as I no longer have it, but other ships of RCI can't have liquor delivered.

Katie

OK - first off, I am not looking for any comments on whether or not it is OK to bring alcohol on the ship. So if you are offended by people who do this, please stop reading. I just would like to know this: If I DO bring alcohol on, and it makes it to my cabin, do I need to "hide" it from the cabin steward? Has anyone ever had a steward report it?

My experience: NO. I have had a cabin attendant who went over to my "stash" (this was before the "crackdown"), pull out my white wine and my champagne, and put them in separate ice buckets. ;) :eek: :D

Reported experience of CC poster brigittetom: Someone from housekeeping went THROUGH THEIR DRAWERS AND CABINETS and removed their bottle.

There is no problem at all. In fact he emtied my bar fridge for me so that I could put my drinks in it. As with most things in life if you are reasonable there is little chance of having anything happen to your stash. At the end of the trip we left all unopened bottles, including pop for him, which he and his buddies appreciated. All the best.

Why? So you don't have to respond to honest criticism?

Smuggling results in higher cruise prices for everyone, especially those who abide by their cruise contracts and do not smuggle.

Your choice does affect me. I am paying more for my cruise because you smuggle.

Please do not tell me not to read or respond when your decision truly does affect me!

Is this your opinion or a stated fact that you can point to? Most, and I will agree not all, carry on their own to consume in the room before dinner. They still go out and spend a significant amount for booze on their Seapass. Also, using your line of thought, are you paying more for your cruise because their are people who cruise that do not drink at all?

Our last cruise on the Mariner I have to say Yes...see we purchased some on the island and they put it thourgh the scanner and never said anything...it was amoung things ....anyways we figured what the heck we open it up and drank some...now we had our fridge empty at the begining we give a $10 tip to have it empty and not have to worry about the things...and we put the bottle in there...and it was taken and the lovely letter given saying they found and if it happen again we could be kicked off ship...then it got worse because the next day she found an old tag from a previous person that had to stay in our room saying your luggage was searched and she put it on our bed and we had a message on our phone once again saying was found in our room....well she didn't look close enough because the tag was german...we was from the states!...then the joke is left my husband goes down to ask what is going on...and to find out they put the bottle under my 12 year old daughter that she brought it on board....so it's going to be joke for along time....

This is not directly related to the OP's post, but the post did get me thinking. Does the steward go through people's belongings (suitcases, drawers)? I am kind of a private person and would feel uncomfortable knowing someone is rifling through my undies!

Thanks to all of you for your responses! And mostly thank you to the flamers for staying away!

All of the flamers have been on my thread today. At 2:01 AM this morning, I posted information about my alcohol being confiscated on a cruise last week, just as a FYI. I didn't ask for advice, opinions or thoughts concerning this matter. I just looked at the post and there are now 299 replies. UNREAL!!! I think some people make up stuff just to stir the pot.....

Archived