My parents are going on a cruise - how can I help them?

ghisl

After taking my 74 year old parents on an Alaskan cruise last fall, they have decided on their own to take Holland America's 19 day repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale in September. I am thrilled for them but am nervous at the same time. They are not well traveled at all (not even the least bit). Mom hates the sun and the heat. Dad gets motion sickness very easily. When on the Alaskan cruise, I (their daughter) took care of everything and planned out pretty much all the excursions while in port. They are not the type to get informed, read guidebooks and really plan what to do. So I would love your advice as to what might interest them on their cruise while in port. Dad is fit and active but Mom tires easily and needs a lot of pit stops. Dad loves history and beautiful scenery. Mom is happy in the souvenir shops with a little sightseeing. Their ports of call are Astoria,Oregon, San Diego, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Hualtulco, Puerto Chiapas, Puntarenas, Golfe Dulce, Panama Canal, Cartegena. I value all of your advice. This board has been very helpful to me in the past.

Make sure they have good medical/trip insurance

The waters can get rough so make sure they have seasick pills/bands etc..

They may want to stick to the ship's tours if they are the type not to wander off on their own.

We found Cabo, San diego, Puntarenas ports where you could safely walk around the dock area.

Cartegena go with the ship's tour or just stay onboard.

Most ports you will be accosted by the locals selling things some more persisitant than others.

You could print off some things to do/see in each area for them to take with them .

Once they meet some new friends onboard they will be fine.

I've thought about your very considerate question for a couple of days and the answer I have for you is really very simple.

It requires some sacrifice on your part but I think you will understand.

:)

:D

Go With Them! They need you.

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest:

1. Medical insurance plus medivac.

Definitely some seasick meds.

2. Go on line and check out some of the ports they will be visiting. Discuss what they would like to do. And, I would stick to excursions arranged by the ship.

3. Since they decided to take this cruise, it's my opinion that they feel up to it. Don't sell them short. They aren't that old. 74 is young. And being on a HAL ship, they'll manage just fine. Worst case scenerio...they stay on board and just enjoy the sail and the ship and the people they meet. Bet they have a blast!

• 5 months later...

It sounds as if your mom especially will need a lot of help with luggage handling and transfers. You could advise her to plan of taking advantage of all the help available, and come prepared with lots of $1 and $5 bills for tips.

you are very considerate of your parent s..every family should have one such as yourself..

they ll just manage fine..if they re anything like my DW and myself they ve already plan d month s in advance what they want to do..

just look after the little detail s they may miss d..ie, mainly a short term heath insurance plan should they need it..

and the power of a nice TIP..if at all possible ..see if u can get aboard with them and see them to their cabin..find their main cabin steward and explain in a nice way what your parent s need s and want s are..then palm him or her a nice tip befor leaving ;)

I would suggest:

1. Medical insurance plus medivac.

Definitely some seasick meds.

2. Go on line and check out some of the ports they will be visiting. Discuss what they would like to do. And, I would stick to excursions arranged by the ship.

3. Since they decided to take this cruise, it's my opinion that they feel up to it. Don't sell them short. They aren't that old. 74 is young. And being on a HAL ship, they'll manage just fine. Worst case scenerio...they stay on board and just enjoy the sail and the ship and the people they meet. Bet they have a blast!

I'm 71 and if I make a decision I know what I'm doing and it's what I want to do.

ITEM #3 ABOVE.....I AGREE WITH 1000% ! ALL I SUGGEST IS YOU INSURE THEM TO THE HILT. THEN LET THEM ON THEIR OWN...THEY

MADE IT THIS FAR IN LIFE THEY CAN DO MORE. CHILL OUT AND GIVE YOURSELF A REST.

CIAO,

It is great that you are so concerned for your parents. My husband and I are 60-62. We have Aunts and Uncles in their 80's. They traveled all throught their 70's.

You would be suprised how well Mom and Dad will do when no one is watching. I don't think they would have made the choice to book a cruise they couldn't handle. If they get tired they will rest. There is a ship doctor if they have a problem.

You might want to get them a cell phone for the area they will be in so they can keep in touch And ask for advice if they need it.

Let them enjoy their health and freedom well they can.

My children complain that we don't do enough fun things.

You can't please the KIDS.

You might want to suprise them with a bottle of wine in their cabin and some gift coupons for tours.

• 2 weeks later...

Mom and Dad may be able to handle more than you think. Did they book this through a TA or on their own? Do they surf the web? Do they have friends who have cruised?

Do something for them like a bon vongage gift and let them enjoy.

I make sure I have travel insurance.. and I am not quite their age.

I used to worry about my Dad all the time and he told me stop worrying I am capable. Maybe they are too? :)

I am sure that your parents will do just fine.

One thing you might do is to arrange for wheel chair assistance at the airport. Your Mom will probably thank you as she will not get worn out. In addition they get to slip to the front of line through security, get pre-boarded to give them a little extra time to settle in and they will not have to figure out complicated airports.

My 80 y.o. aunt flies from Scotland to San Francisco annually.... while she could make it on her own she says the wheel chair really helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived