Friends Laugh, but I check the price every day and it pays

That's why I don 't use a TA- not likely to be there when I need them. RCCL cannot discuss your cruise with you if you booked via a TA- but if you notice a price drop it most likely will still be there on Monday.

I think for my next cruise I will be booking directly with RCI. My TA is nice, but she doesn't really do any work for me. I do all my research and tell her exactly what I want.

I've had some good luck in the past getting some savings. One time, while investigating a price drop on the mini-suites on the Grand Princess, my travel agent managed to get me an upgrade to a full suite instead. I was quite happy with that arrangement.

For our next cruise, on the Liberty of the seas, I haven't seen the price drop yet, although I've been checking it regularly. So far, it's gone up about $400 per person since we booked last fall.

I think for my next cruise I will be booking directly with RCI. My TA is nice, but she doesn't really do any work for me. I do all my research and tell her exactly what I want.

I had the same situation. I had everything set and yet had to go thru someone else. I have booked all the rest of my cruises on my own and it has worked out fine. Plus, you dont have to wait for things (coupon deductions, price deductions, cabin location changes).

Then you've been using the wrong TA. Yes, I do alot of research before I book, and my TA quotes me the same exact price as RCI, but she also gave me a $150 OBC on each of my 2 Jr Suites on my upcoming AOS cruise. She has always been available when I've called.

Interesting from the time we booked our cruise last year until the day we sailed our price never went up but it did go down from $1249 PP for an E2 Hump to $999 about 2 months before we sailed. So far our prices on next March 31st 2008 4 night cruise have not changed. I do not expect that they will change down on Sovereign of the Seas as there are on just so many Junior Suites on board her. Going to have to count them next time I pull up the deck plans. I am glad that you booked early enough to get the best prices, it seems booking a year ahead of time is a good thing. :D

Actually, we just booked it in February. Not bad for 3 months lead-time! :D

Our cruise continually went up until the catagories we have are no longer available. Our TA did get us $175, obc. The JS that my parents and inlaws have went up almost $600. I guess we did pretty good! :) We leave out of Bayone so I'm told that as it is somewhat of a new itinerary for the twelve day, it most likely will not go down.

Man I don't know about some of you folks, but lately I've come here to read to dream about getting on that ship! Rough year! I'll pay anything right now just to keep the same itinerary and go!!!

But...I'll still keep checking for any price drop. I do think that although I like my present TA, I think that this type of thing would be easier, as mentioned to her the price drop thing, and got sort of vague answer. I'd force the isssue if the prices were dropped of course, but that doesn't seem to be the direction were going in. It's all good...:p

My friends laugh at me, but after booking a cruise I check the price each and everyday online. It does work, sometimes the price drops multiple times and sometimes they only leave the lower price for a few days to increase bookings.

It pays to spend the 2 minutes every day checking the price of your cruise.

Just saved another $100 on my cruise for 2008!

Happy Cruising!

Hi Linda,

I do the same thing (just not everyday)! More like every 2 weeks or so. It sure paid off for me back in 12/05, when my family and I (3 of us) went on the Summit to Hawaii for 15 days. The price dropped maybe 3 times and we got back close to $2,000! Now that's a savings! Even when we were paid in full, they had to honor the lower price.

Going on the Summit again in 12/07 to Hawaii and if it wasn't for me doing the checking once again, I wouldn't have known the adult fare dropped $100 so better in my pocket than the travel agent's (who never take the time to check those things out because it will affect their commission)! So, keep doing what you're doing and you'll definitely save $$ in the long run!

Laurie (AKA cruiselover57 - using my sister's log-on at the moment)

Last yr they had a balcony guarantee show up 90 days before sailing....It was a really cheap price...but since I had 3 people I couldnt do it---the guarantees were for 2 people....but if it comes again, I told my daughter she can take a friend..this way I will get 2 balconys...

Shari, I just want to make sure that you know and understand...........

If a balcony guarantee category DOES open up, and the price is good enough for you to grab it, you have no say over where on the ship the cabin is. Is that ok with you? The girls may be far, far, far away!

Shari, I just want to make sure that you know and understand...........

If a balcony guarantee category DOES open up, and the price is good enough for you to grab it, you have no say over where on the ship the cabin is. Is that ok with you? The girls may be far, far, far away!

RCI won't even allow you to book a guarantee if only children stay in one cabin.

This may have been covered, and I apologize if it was....if my catagory is sold out, but other cats are dropping, will I be entitled to a credit for what would be my cat price? Thanks.

No, you can't get a price drop in that situation... The price drop needs to be in your exact catagory. But, from page 2... :)

If your catagory is sold out, but all the remaining catagories have dropped in price; you could change cabin catagories at the current price.

Say for example you paid $750 per person for your PR and balconies are now $850 per person, you could upgrade to a balcony and pay the $100 per person difference.

If the price of your new catagory went down, you could change cabins and get a refund for the difference...

Hi Linda,

I do the same thing (just not everyday)! More like every 2 weeks or so. It sure paid off for me back in 12/05, when my family and I (3 of us) went on the Summit to Hawaii for 15 days. The price dropped maybe 3 times and we got back close to $2,000! Now that's a savings! Even when we were paid in full, they had to honor the lower price.

Going on the Summit again in 12/07 to Hawaii and if it wasn't for me doing the checking once again, I wouldn't have known the adult fare dropped $100 so better in my pocket than the travel agent's (who never take the time to check those things out because it will affect their commission)! So, keep doing what you're doing and you'll definitely save $$ in the long run!

Laurie (AKA cruiselover57 - using my sister's log-on at the moment)

This isn't quite accurate. What is correct is that RCI is one of the cruise lines that does (of their own accord) honor most price drops after final payment (unless it's a "new bookings only" deal). They don't "have" to do it. It's not a requirement. In fact, many cruise lines don't typically allow fare adjustments after final payment.

As with anything else, once you've agreed to pay a specific price, the company is not obligated to give you a refund if the price decreases. Now, most stores will honor lower prices for a week or two after a purchase (some will for a month or longer). In the case of cruises, it's at the cruise line's discretion of whether they want to honor a lower price once final payment has been made.

beachchick

I had never heard of price drops till I read these boards. We are off on Legend soon and I noticed the price for our JS had dropped. Mailed RCI and received refund of $250 today. Thats 50 cocktails........

On these refunds, is that while your still paying off the Cruise or after the final payment. So far all I have run into, is my catagory goes up and am happy I booked when I did

We're sailing on Mariner in June with 3 other couples. 2 of us have booked through RC, and the other 2 booked through the same travel agent. Neither couple had used this travel agent before, but my girlfriend says she's good, and she happens to be the friend of one of her friend's mother. (confusing, I know). Anyway, I called both couples on Friday and told them that we had received a refund, and that they should contact their travel agent. They both left messages on Friday. This morning I was chatting in IM with my friend, and asked her if she'd heard from the travel agent. She said not yet. I told her she should go to the RC website and check on the price drop her self and then she'd have something to tell the agent. She said..."she would have contacted me if there was a price drop, and she would do the same for the other couple; that's her job, that's why "we" used a travel agent!" I didn't want to get into it with my friend, but from what I've read here, it looks to me like not all travel agents will notify you of a price drop if it happens. I know for a fact that the other couple has at least $220 coming back to them for one of their interior rooms, but they've heard nothing. And they're waiting for the TA to call them! grrrrrrrrrrrrr! My husband told me to not concern myself anymore with it. I've done all that I can, etc.

She also told me that she used a travel agent because there's a better chance of getting a free upgrade if you use one. Is this true? Does the upgrade fairy only come if you book through a travel agent?

On these refunds, is that while your still paying off the Cruise or after the final payment. So far all I have run into, is my catagory goes up and am happy I booked when I did

I received our refunds after our final payment. The same thing happened to me; I was checking and checking and the price had only gone up, and then last week it went down. There's a chance it will go down if you keep an eye on it.

My wife and I are booked on the Mariner Dec 16th. I've been checking every day for price drops. Is there any time of the year they are more likely to drop?
When a cruise is not fully booked.
Also can you get credit even if you are not yet paid in full??
Yes.

• 1 month later...

Archived