Tipping at Chops & Portofino

What is the appropriate amount to tip the staff at Chops or Portofino when dining at one of the 'alternative' restaurants?

The service charges applied for meals at Chops and Portofino ($20 or 25, and worth every penny!) are supposed to cover gratuities for the waitstaff. You can tip additionally at your own discretion.

Although you don't have to, we always tip additional because it is always just an UNBELIEVABLY great experience, we feel they deserve it. They really take the best care of you...the service is top-notch in those restaurants! :)

We do not normally tip any additional amount at Chops or Portofinos. We pay the upcharge (which is really a gratuity), plus our drinks (and the automatic gratuity), and that seems like plenty. I put myself through school as a waitress and bartender, so I tend to be generous, but I personally feel there is a limit somewhere ...

Earlier this month our server in CHOPS on the Radiance of the Seas told us that they received $1 per person from the $20 fee as their gratuity. I don't know if this is true, but staff was very open in discussing tip structure so I tend to believe it. If this is the case then they are clearly paid at a much higher rate than other waitstaff.

I know they don't get all of it............but to be honest don't know how much they get of the surcharge.......but it would surprise me if it was in the $5 range.

Earlier this month our server in CHOPS on the Radiance of the Seas told us that they received $1 per person from the $20 fee as their gratuity. I don't know if this is true, but staff was very open in discussing tip structure so I tend to believe it. If this is the case then they are clearly paid at a much higher rate than other waitstaff.

I guess I am confused as to how the waiters in Chops/Portofino are clearly paid much higher than the dining room waiters. I could understand if they are given extra tips, as I am sure most are, but not if they aren't.

We always tips extra because the service is so over the top. Some people mistakenly think the whole $20 is a tip, when in fact that isn't true. If that were the case, then why wouldn't the dining room get the same food? The food in the specialty restaurants costs more to start with.

I can't wait to get onboard Mariner so we can go to Portofino. Yum.

Katie

We also enjoyed Chops twice on our recent Brilliance Cruise and like most we tipped for the meal, as we were given to understand that the $20 charge was basically for the upgrade in the food. The service in there is also outstanding.

Do people honestly think RCCL would spend the money on these specialty restaurants, their chefs, and the increased money for the higher level and prices of food - to only give the waitstaff ALL the money from the surcharge.

NO WAY! How would RRCL make money off of these additional restaurants?

The waitstaff does not get the $20 surcharge, they get 15% of it which is why RCCL "say" gratuity is included. Most of the surcharge is for the food and the increased salaries of the chefs. We confirmed this with our assistant waiter at Chops. I don't know what her base is but she makes less money overall right now then the dining room. Once she becomes a waiter, she could (could!) make more money then the dining room. Even still, the specialty restaurants are considered moving up the RCCL ladder to improved positons and eventual better pay. The benefits of the specialty restaurants is a basic guarantee of a certain earning, slightly lower pace then the dining room, no kids, preferred hours, and you keep any extra tips you make from wine, drinks 15% surcharge and any additional tips the passengers give you.

Our meal at Chops was almost in line with Mortons which we easily plunk down $200 to eat there on special occasions. Paying the surcharge is getting you an upscale romantic quiet table with phenominal food made by great chefs. You are treated very well and it is so different from the dining room. So I think of this when I tip at the end of the night especially since we are there for 2.5hrs and they hardly turn over tables there.

We gave $30 additional at Portofino as I wasn't overly thrilled with the staff although service and food were good. We gave $40 additional to the Chops staff because the staff up to the manager was incredible as well as the food.

The benefits of the specialty restaurants is a basic guarantee of a certain earning, slightly lower pace then the dining room, no kids, preferred hours, and you keep any extra tips you make from wine, drinks 15% surcharge and any additional tips the passengers give you.

What do you mean "no kids"? Our kids go to the specialty restaurants with us on every cruise line (5 so far). :confused:

What do you mean "no kids"? Our kids go to the specialty restaurants with us on every cruise line (5 so far). :confused:

The policy is that children under 13 are not allowed in Portofino or Chops. Now having said that, I have heard, not seen, that younger children were allowed if they ate early, ie 6PM. We usually go at 7 and as I said, I haven't ever seen children in there, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.

Last November on Mariner, a couple with a young child were in line ahead of us to make reservations for Chops. The parents said I guess it will be only the 2 of us as we aren't allowed to bring our child. The reservation person said yes, no one under 13.

So, I guess it depends on the ship and how many reservations etc.

Katie

Why do you folks constantly try to figure out who gets what salary? It's none of my business and I don't care. I never ask any of the servers about how much of any fee they keep. Would anybody dream of walking up to me and asking how much I earn? I think most of the crew give people a sob sorry anyway to increase their tips. Just do what's fair and don't worry about people earn. I've double tipped because i don't decuct anything from the dining room servers when i don't eat their on a night i go to a specialty restaurant.

Why do you folks constantly try to figure out who gets what salary? It's none of my business and I don't care. I never ask any of the servers about how much of any fee they keep. Would anybody dream of walking up to me and asking how much I earn? I think most of the crew give people a sob sorry anyway to increase their tips. Just do what's fair and don't worry about people earn. I've double tipped because i don't decuct anything from the dining room servers when i don't eat their on a night i go to a specialty restaurant.

I highly doubt anyone here is asking their salary? :rolleyes:

I have never asked anyone personally how much money you make? I have asked the bartenders/servers if they split their tips if I add more on the dotted line compared to paying them cash? This was to their benefit to know. At Chops, I asked the assistant waiter how long she worked with RCCL and if she enjoyed the specialty restaurants. She went on to say she liked it better but the pay isn't as good as an assistant here. Once she gets promoted to waiter she thinks it will be better. The manager at Chops broke down the surcharge for us when we asked about it.

I would think many people realize the waiters are not getting anywhere near all that tip but obviously a lot of people don't. It is a shame RCCL leads people to believe that they do.

As for the ages, no one under 13 is allowed in Chops or Portofino. They enforced this on the Navigator when I was there, thank goodness. I have a 5yr old but it was nice to go to a restaurant there that catered to adults only. My daughter stayed at the Kids Club and had a blast and we enjoyed a nice romantic 2.5hr meal. :)

I was confused as to who to give the cash to. We had 3 diff. servers & all did a great job @ both Chops & Portofino. Do they pool their cash?

We added our tip onto the receipt, so it went on our seapass.

Archived