Skybus Airlines -Thoughts?

Does anybody have the scoop on this airline? Just spent some time on the website http://www.skybus.com/ and I think they may be onto something. All the "extras" are a la carte and it seems to a a self service type of operation.

So here are my questions:

Would the savvy travelers use Skybus Airlines?

Does anybody have a good or bad information on this airline?

What is a must to have while traveling, and what things are you willing to go without for the sake of price?

I worked for jetblue for 5 years and was there when the company started. I know a lot of people left jetblue to help start up skybus. I would not hesitate to fly them at all, they look pretty darn good.

There is another short thread about them in the East Coast forum too. They are starting to fly into Pease in Portsmouth, NH but the only direct flights from there right now are to Columbus, OH. I looked at the website too, $20 RT is great but what are they flying? Do they have all old planes like Pan AM flies out of Pease or nice new ones like Jet Blue? I have seen ads in the Boston Globe but really don't know anything else about them.

I heard their ad the other day on the radio, and for the life of me could not remember the name! They said on each and every flight there would be a minimum of 10 seats sold at $10. Wouldn't it be great to get one of those? I don't know, they're still regulated by the FAA, a pilot is a pilot, right? I'd be willing to give it a try. We are only a 2 hour drive from Columbus, Oh which is one of their airports they are using. If I could save a couple hundred dollars, that's likely a cabin upgrade or extra shore excursion...

There is another short thread about them in the East Coast forum too. They are starting to fly into Pease in Portsmouth, NH but the only direct flights from there right now are to Columbus, OH. I looked at the website too, $20 RT is great but what are they flying? Do they have all old planes like Pan AM flies out of Pease or nice new ones like Jet Blue? I have seen ads in the Boston Globe but really don't know anything else about them.

...and I quote

We’re proud to fly one of the most modern, fuel-efficient, technologically advanced planes available today: the Airbus A-319.

Of course, the best jets in the world don’t mean much without the right team to fly them. We’re equally proud of our experienced pilots and friendly flight crews.

Together, it’s an unbeatable combination!

Here are some interesting facts about the Airbus A-319. It:

• Is large enough to be more comfortable than traditional regional jets, yet able to land at regional airports. With the A-319 you get the best of both worlds: the benefits of using a small airport - and a comfortable ride.
  • Has the exceptional range of 3,700 nautical miles/6,850 kilometers, giving us the capability to fly you non-stop across the continent.
  • Typically seats 156 passengers, with comfortable leather seats throughout the cabin. Note that all seats on Skybus flights are a single class - there is no First or Business-class seating.
  • Has wider aisles than other planes in its class, making it quicker and easier for passengers to get on and off.
  • Is a ‘state of the art’ aircraft with the latest electronics and flight instrument equipment.

...and I quote

We’re proud to fly one of the most modern, fuel-efficient, technologically advanced planes available today: the Airbus A-319.

Of course, the best jets in the world don’t mean much without the right team to fly them. We’re equally proud of our experienced pilots and friendly flight crews.

Together, it’s an unbeatable combination!

Here are some interesting facts about the Airbus A-319. It:

• Is large enough to be more comfortable than traditional regional jets, yet able to land at regional airports. With the A-319 you get the best of both worlds: the benefits of using a small airport - and a comfortable ride.
  • Has the exceptional range of 3,700 nautical miles/6,850 kilometers, giving us the capability to fly you non-stop across the continent.
  • Typically seats 156 passengers, with comfortable leather seats throughout the cabin. Note that all seats on Skybus flights are a single class - there is no First or Business-class seating.
  • Has wider aisles than other planes in its class, making it quicker and easier for passengers to get on and off.
  • Is a ‘state of the art’ aircraft with the latest electronics and flight instrument equipment.

A319 is a great little airplane. It is the same aircraft that jeblue flies (A320) but just a little shorter.

Now, if they will add a direct flight from Pease to Orlando for $20 RT then I am in!!! Pease is really an easy airport to deal with since so few flights fly out of there, it really works well for my mother who lives in NH and has used both Allegiant and Pan Am. For me, the 45 minute drive up to Portsmouth isn't worth it since I am not even 15 miles from Logan, but add a dirt cheap direct flight and I would go.:p

Sounds like Skybus Airlines is worth looking into. I've yet to buy my airline tickets for our cruise in August. I'm traveling with a family of 5 and this would save a ton of money. I checked out the other thread in the east coast section and they seem optimistic about this airline. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky $10 seats when they open for booking on May 29th.

I went and put in laundry and missed it :( I will check their website later and see if they have anything on there about it. Did they have much to say about them?

You havent missed it yet...I have been watching and the story has not aired yet. Keep watching!

We had a big article here in Richmond, VA about them this week. One flight a day to Columbus. The two big drawbacks are you must book your own connecting flight even if it with them. You also have to get your bags and then recheck in on the connecting flight. That would be OK if the price is rigtht. However the biggest draw back is that they do not have an agreement with any other airlines so if you get bumbed or mechanical breakdown, they can not work with other airlines to help you get where you are going. You just sit there or pay for another airline to fly you.

Bill

Sounds like Skybus Airlines is worth looking into. I've yet to buy my airline tickets for our cruise in August. I'm traveling with a family of 5 and this would save a ton of money. I checked out the other thread in the east coast section and they seem optimistic about this airline. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky $10 seats when they open for booking on May 29th.

Have you tried Southwest? They fly out of Manchester, NH and that is about an hour from Boston depending on what side of the city you are on.

I heard their ad the other day on the radio, and for the life of me could not remember the name! They said on each and every flight there would be a minimum of 10 seats sold at $10. Wouldn't it be great to get one of those? I don't know, they're still regulated by the FAA, a pilot is a pilot, right? I'd be willing to give it a try. We are only a 2 hour drive from Columbus, Oh which is one of their airports they are using. If I could save a couple hundred dollars, that's likely a cabin upgrade or extra shore excursion...

They just started flying out of Columbus on Tuesday and we called directyl and book 10 one way tickets from Cbus to Fort Lauderdale for $20 and that was after taxes etc. 10 tickets for $200!! You cant beat that!

When my parents come over in June from the UK, they want to spend a few days in Detroit, so check this out: For $10 one way they can fly to Columbus from Richmond, get a rental car, drive to Detroit, spend a couple of days there, drive back to Columbus, and boom, for only $40 there's the round trip cost in flights via skybus.

They were mentioned in the new many times recently as they just came into our town. They have a good rep with passengers. (I was a big fan of People's Express years ago, I just hated People's express Customers :D )

I just booked a 3 day on Majesty and even getting my own air fare, my flights are 50% of the cost of this cruise. If I can fly Skybus into cruise ports, I will cruise twice as much.

A fairly recent looking Airbus model comparable to a 737 as far as I can tell. At least that is what I saw on the news. You can pick me up in Columbus and we can head to Ft Lauderdale for another $10

A fairly recent looking Airbus model comparable to a 737 as far as I can tell. At least that is what I saw on the news. You can pick me up in Columbus and we can head to Ft Lauderdale for another $10

I don't know if I want to meet up with someone who actually liked People Express!!!!:eek: :p :D

Very interesting concept. According to our local paper all bookings must be done on the Internet, no phone or TA service. All flights go through Columbus OH. You cannot book connections, you have to book a flight to Columbus and then a flight to your next destination. They are flying to about eight places now but that should increase. Very much no frills.

I live in cincinnati and when i heard about this airline coming into columbus i already bought tickets to the seattle area for $20 plus tax bought tickets to ft lauderdale for $20 plus tax and bought tickets to LA area for that same $20, did not even think twice of whether to book or not, now i am looking for short cruises out of ft lauderdale and LA to mach the cheap flights. They started selling tickest on 5/25 in the early morning and if you were not fast enough you would miss out on the $10 tickets, even if you did the second choice of pricing is $40 still not a bad price to go anywhere one way, they have the same business motto as ryan air in europe and so far they are one of the largest airline over there, and one other thing they have more startup money than jet blue had when they started.

Archived